Day Rider vs Stock Seat

Well … Mustang may well produce different browns, but I have never seen anything offered by the Motorrad other than black and the “true color” brown as I have tried to post. I know it sounds crazy, but as different as the seats look above in the side by side, I dare say it is the lighting —my own seat has varied wildly in different photos. I’m heading to my dealer in a bit to look at the Cross Country firsthand and I will bring the topic up with them.

At the dealer. One pic of one seat with my hand partially blocking the overhead lighting. Two completely different colors on what I see as the only brown on all available brown R18 saddles offered in the building. Sources there are unaware of another, excepting Corbin, etc.
DC2E2188-029A-45DF-8276-DAAF8637B10F.jpeg

Last edited:
A lot of folks are curious about various seats and usually want to know what the differences are. I was able to get a great deal on a used Day Rider so before I switched the seats out I took a few side by side pics and a before and after pic so anyone interested could see the differences. My goal is to help others decide whether or not the Day Rider is a seat they might be interested in. I haven't rode it yet but sitting on it in the barn it's a noticeably different feel. I'll be using it as a solo seat but the last couple of pics are photos of the pillion mounted on the bike for reference.

View attachment 4579View attachment 4580View attachment 4582View attachment 4590View attachment 4589View attachment 4586View attachment 4591View attachment 4588View attachment 4592
Your pic’s combined with the assistance of Alex B had me purchase this seat on EBay at a pretty good price. Many thanks to you both.

I actually prefer the light brown color. This is a picture of my Indian ChiefView attachment 5286
Flovely. Is it the photo or is there a slight color difference between the saddlebags and the rest of the leather? I decided to install hard bags on mine. I have a (hard) trunk for it as well - I'll install that soon. How do you manage to keep the whitewalls on the rear wheel so pristinely white. I really struggle with mine and have noticed, following a Vintage forum, that I am not alone.

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a while since I started this thread. I've put a few hundred miles on the Day Rider seat and IMO it's better than the stock seat but it won't change your life. It is more comfortable and supportive but not drastically so. The styling is a big improvement. The stitching on the Day Rider looks a lot better than the plain OEM seat. Overall I'm glad I switched seats but if I had paid full MSRP from the stealer I wouldn't be as happy. It's not a $600 improvement by any stretch.

It's been a while since I started this thread. I've put a few hundred miles on the Day Rider seat and IMO it's better than the stock seat but it won't change your life. It is more comfortable and supportive but not drastically so. The styling is a big improvement. The stitching on the Day Rider looks a lot better than the plain OEM seat. Overall I'm glad I switched seats but if I had paid full MSRP from the stealer I wouldn't be as happy. It's not a $600 improvement by any stretch.

Attachments

• 126874ED-C6C6-4FEC-8DE6-E7DE5A2F84AC.jpeg
    126874ED-C6C6-4FEC-8DE6-E7DE5A2F84AC.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 55
A lot of folks are curious about various seats and usually want to know what the differences are. I was able to get a great deal on a used Day Rider so before I switched the seats out I took a few side by side pics and a before and after pic so anyone interested could see the differences. My goal is to help others decide whether or not the Day Rider is a seat they might be interested in. I haven't rode it yet but sitting on it in the barn it's a noticeably different feel. I'll be using it as a solo seat but the last couple of pics are photos of the pillion mounted on the bike for reference.

View attachment 4579View attachment 4580View attachment 4582View attachment 4590View attachment 4589View attachment 4586View attachment 4591View attachment 4588View attachment 4592
Thanks for the pics Caveman. Thanks to Alex B I picked up the same seat on EBay. Here it is, fitted and ready for a solo ride.

Attachments

• 4653F111-1A9F-4049-A452-36727DCAB59C.jpeg
    4653F111-1A9F-4049-A452-36727DCAB59C.jpeg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 88D12245-E6FB-4277-A48F-E681510FA8C3.jpeg
    88D12245-E6FB-4277-A48F-E681510FA8C3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 64
Hi gents/ladies, does anyone know if the weekender or day rider seat is higher? Just like the high seat option as the stock seat on 710mm?

Hi gents/ladies, does anyone know if the weekender or day rider seat is higher? Just like the high seat option as the stock seat on 710mm?
I have the Weekender. They are similar, but the original doesn’t have a flat seat, rather a constant angle, so where you measure it makes a difference. The Weekender is flatter, but then has a more steep lumbar lift.

Here is a side by side of the Weekender and the Classic OEM (high seat). E451C0E9-33A4-4EB8-8241-90517454D78B.jpeg

I also have the Day Rider seat on my classic. I have 700 miles on that seat and it’s much better than the OEM seat. I put 400 of those miles on over the weekend and it’s a great saddle. I do run the backrest for longer rides over the weekend, day to day I pull the backrest. I also work for the dealer in Grand Rapids Michigan we stock many seats for the R18 and have them listed in our eBay store with actual images of the seats on bikes. If anyone has questions you can always reach out to me at the shop. Or shoot me a message in here. We ship all over the US. Between all of the seats offered we sell more Day Rider and weekender seats than anything else. Both accept a backrest and both can be run solo.
Hello, really like the setup on your R18. Would you mind letting me know where you got your rear luggage rack please?

Flovely. Is it the photo or is there a slight color difference between the saddlebags and the rest of the leather? I decided to install hard bags on mine. I have a (hard) trunk for it as well - I'll install that soon. How do you manage to keep the whitewalls on the rear wheel so pristinely white. I really struggle with mine and have noticed, following a Vintage forum, that I am not alone.

View attachment 5404

View attachment 5406
Use Brillo pads: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brillo_Pad Rolls Royce use them..

http://allthingsruffnerian.blogspot.com/2013/09/rolls-royce-instructions-to-chauffeurs.html

scroll down..

Thanks for the tip. I finally got hold of some - they are not readily available in South Africa. Same result - cream walls. Not even SwissVax®' Pneu White can sort it, meaning that probably nothing can. When the time comes for that, I will replace it with the same whitewall installed on my H-D FLH Revival.

That's the brown in the shade. DAY RIDER. It's more of a proper brown than tan.

Attachments

• 20230624_200812.jpg
    20230624_200812.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230629_003735_896.jpg
    IMG_20230629_003735_896.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
I mostly agree with this opinion. In terms of styling, Day Rider is a significant improvement. Vibrations are also better. But in terms of comfort over long distances - the improvement is not so great. The biggest issue with the stock seat for me is the bmw plastic badge which causes problems as it puts unnecessary pressure after 2 hours of riding. But in general, this is not such a problem, it is quite possible to live with the stock seat. The pillion comfort is a big improvement though, but I mostly ride solo. Overall, I highly recommend the upgrade and think the cost is reasonable.

Back