Did you get your shaft lubed yet?

It might... I used the stuff for a chain drive DUCATI; it wasn't bad, as it didn't wik off the chain or sprockets.. I'm going to hold off until after next Saturday..
That may work ... from what I have been told it is not so much the lube itself ... it is all about the carrier liquid for it. It needs to penetrate properly and then dissolve and only leave the lube behind .. some engineering WooDoo to get around having to disassemble it, when you could use some run-of-the-mill moly, lithium or graphite lube.

Was this a recall (where BMW would send out a notice) or rather a service bulletin that would be performed in the off chance you service your bike at a dealership?

Was this a recall (where BMW would send out a notice) or rather a service bulletin that would be performed in the off chance you service your bike at a dealership?
I think it was along the lines of a 'Service Bulletin' but my dealer did get a notice from corporate to administer this treatment ... it was free .. so hell if I turn it down ;)

Mine is an early one, (UK). I didn’t get any letter or notification. I read about it here on the forum. When I took my bike in for 1st service last summer they booked it in at reception, ran the VIN and then said the ‘lube’ was required. Can’t remember exactly what they described the work as but don’t think recall was ever mentioned. It was a 2 min job as detailed already.

1713965908658.png

I think the treatment is likely to be just as effective with a squirt of moly spray for the lubrication and followed up with white lithium grease for the waterproofing for those not on a recall list , BUT as an RT owner I can tell you that sprays into the splines does NOT work.

Now it looks daunting to remove the carden but it was actually very simple on the RT, but the RT is much easier to stand up and service. Has anyone actually removed the carden from their R18 to clean and lube properly?

Last edited:
Back