Dropped your R18 yet?

Man, I got close last week. Gravel parking area, backed in. A second's inattention and a split second off the hand brake and the bike rolled back a bit and it was off balance. Used every bit of strength I had to keep it from dropping and got her back up. Jeez I was concerned. Whew!
I feel your pain, literally. I had my TC for 6 days. I went to get it inspected and pulling into the parking lot of the station there was a crater I didn't see which I hit just as I stopped. The bike bounced left and I was surprised to have the 940lb beast heading for the pavement. It took everything I had to drag it back up. I didn't drop it but just as it straigtened up something in my wrist popped and it hurt like hell. I got the bike inspected and home. The swelling began and X-rays didn't show a break. That was two weeks ago as of tomorrow. I've been doing all of the work I wanted to do on the bike such as installing protection bars for the bags, detailing it etc. but I can't ride and I can barely type on a keyboard. Thankfully I'm right handed. Thursday I head into the hand clinic. I'm guessing an MRI is next. I am hoping it is only a bad sprain or pulled ligaments but if I'm unlucky I tore one and my riding season is done.

I feel your pain, literally. I had my TC for 6 days. I went to get it inspected and pulling into the parking lot of the station there was a crater I didn't see which I hit just as I stopped. The bike bounced left and I was surprised to have the 940lb beast heading for the pavement. It took everything I had to drag it back up. I didn't drop it but just as it straigtened up something in my wrist popped and it hurt like hell. I got the bike inspected and home. The swelling began and X-rays didn't show a break. That was two weeks ago as of tomorrow. I've been doing all of the work I wanted to do on the bike such as installing protection bars for the bags, detailing it etc. but I can't ride and I can barely type on a keyboard. Thankfully I'm right handed. Thursday I head into the hand clinic. I'm guessing an MRI is next. I am hoping it is only a bad sprain or pulled ligaments but if I'm unlucky I tore one and my riding season is done.
That sucks majorly. For what it's worth, glad nothing worse happened.

Get healed up and in the meantime give the girl a good wash and wax ;).

Mike

I dropped my Model B on an outdoor rug, while moving it in my garage; I used the opportunity to check that the engine guard did its job and verified that the exhaust wasn't touching.

Also, used the opportunity to practice my lift technique... it fell to the left side, kickstand side; I grabbed the left handlebar end with my right-hand and pushed the right hand side handlebar end with my left hand. The handlebars where in a Left turn configuration; I walked it right up with my legs.

I dropped my Model B on an outdoor rug, while moving it in my garage; I used the opportunity to check that the engine guard did its job and verified that the exhaust wasn't touching.

Also, used the opportunity to practice my lift technique... it fell to the left side, kickstand side; I grabbed the left handlebar end with my right-hand and pushed the right hand side handlebar end with my left hand. The handlebars where in a Left turn configuration; I walked it right up with my legs.
Must try that way next time I drop it

Thanks for sharing this. It looks like the R18 low CG should work in our favor. I've have to pick up a couple Victory touring bikes like this and those beasts were HEAVY!

Dropped my k1600 once and was able to lift it right up, but it hasn't happened on the R18B. Just got some engine bars from Road Styler just in case.

Was maneuvering in a parking garage and foot slipped, was virtually stopped, bottom of valve cover has a minor scratch, missed the exhaust and the side bag, was impressed they designed it to miss the expensive parts...

Defiantly couldn't get it back upright alone... Tried all of the known tricks, have had success on other bikes with the lift with your back method, but didn't work on this bike...

Makes me nervous it may happen again when no one is around to help.

I'm VERY careful now.

Hi all
Following a five hour test ride on the R18 I bit the bullet and ordered the R18 Classic. Collect it early September as having to wait on a slightly customised paint job.

My question:
Any of you folks had the misfortune to drop their R18? Over a period of years I suffered three low speed, stationary drops on my Harley Fat Bob and was amazed to suffer virtually no damage. This bike leaves me a little unsettled when carrying out low speed manoeuvres and I am hoping time in the saddle will help in this area. Just wondering if, should the worst happen, will I even be able to pick the thing up again never mind the cost of damage. I guess it will be encouraging if this post receives limited response.
Yes I dropped the R18 and this is the story :
Everything started well this Sunday September 3. It was sunny. We had chosen the right clothes to be comfortable on the motorbike which sped peacefully on the secondary roads between Lorient and Quimperlé where we drank a coffee near Les Halles. The next step should have taken us to the Douarnenez Plogonnec sector, yes but I did not see the oil trail in the first roundabout from Coat Canton to Rosporden and this oil trail was fatal to us . The motorcycle suddenly overturned and then slid about ten meters. Holding it with my left foot did nothing other than fracture my malleolus. During the fall the helmets hit the road, Catherine, my passenger, also fell on the left side. She has a large bruise on her upper thigh. Very kind people arrived on site and started to help while waiting for emergency team, the firefighters were really on top. I was given a sedative because the pain became terrible. I lost consciousness at one point which made it possible to reduce the fracture on site. The Rosporden gendarmes carried out an alcohol test, which was negative. They noted the presence of oil on the roundabout, the cause of my fall. The cylinder guard played its role very well, it is the only part to replace, according to the expert. Then it was transported by ambulance to the Scorff hospital where x-rays were taken on Catherine, who has no fracture, and me, who had to undergo surgery with screw placement and a cast. I went out on Monday 4th late in the afternoon. Prohibited from putting my left foot on the ground, the walker and the English canes will accompany me for a few more weeks. apart from that morale is good...
Take Care
Loïc

Everything started well this Sunday September 3. It was sunny. We had chosen the right clothes to be comfortable on the motorbike which sped peacefully on the secondary roads between Lorient and Quimperlé where we drank a coffee near Les Halles. The next step should have taken us to the Douarnenez Plogonnec sector, yes but I did not see the oil trail in the first roundabout from Coat Canton to Rosporden and this oil trail was fatal to us . The motorcycle suddenly overturned and then slid about ten meters. Holding it with my left foot did nothing other than fracture my malleolus. During the fall the helmets hit the road, Catherine, my passenger, also fell on the left side. She has a large bruise on her upper thigh. Very kind people arrived on site and started to help while waiting for emergency team, the firefighters were really on top. I was given a sedative because the pain became terrible. I lost consciousness at one point which made it possible to reduce the fracture on site. The Rosporden gendarmes carried out an alcohol test, which was negative. They noted the presence of oil on the roundabout, the cause of my fall. The cylinder guard played its role very well, it is the only part to replace, according to the expert. Then it was transported by ambulance to the Scorff hospital where x-rays were taken on Catherine, who has no fracture, and me, who had to undergo surgery with screw placement and a cast. I went out on Monday 4th late in the afternoon. Prohibited from putting my left foot on the ground, the walker and the English canes will accompany me for a few more weeks. apart from that morale is good...
Take Care
Loïc
Laying it down with a passenger is my nightmare. Hope ya heal up.

Thankful you will both be ok, and the bike handled the event suitably well. Hopeful you recover quickly and completely. I appreciate the chance to reinforce my riding awareness, oil patch is one anomaly that's dicey at best once things start sliding. Great to hear that Emergency services was so attentive and helpful; they are often humanity at its best. Best fortune getting back on the road.

Take Care
Loïc
Damn. While I am glad you got through it - I can't imagine what a terrifying experience this was. I live in the US where roundabouts are rare. In Massachusetts we have a few - in my town, there are 2 high-speed ones leading to highways. Americans have no clue how to use them. Dangerous without the oil...best wishes for your recovery.

Yes...I was moving items in my garage and my foot slipped and all of a sudden I am in a SLOW motion movie, ever so gently over on its left side it went. Fortunately being a plumber for the past 50 plus years I could pick it back up. Thankfully no damage to either one of us but believe me that deadlift really took it out of me for the rest of the day.

See the attached YT link; this was the method I used:

Ugh. So sorry this happened to you (both). Wish you both a quick and full recovery. Truly wish this event does not deter wife from riding again.

Back