evap canister delete

This is the last mod I performed by deleting the evap canister. I pulled the side cover off to gain access to the canister hoses. The canister slides up and off the base. The hose coming out of the valve goes into the bottom half of the air box this hose can be cut back and plugged or take it all the way back to the barb on the air box bottom and plugged it is very tight in there. The hose coming from the gas tank is in barb connected sections just behind the frame to the left of the cover is the last one. This is were I tied the 7/32" vacuum tubing approx 24" running it over and down to the old canister mount that I cut back to reuse through it to the hole just in the frame just in front of the rear wheel. you will need to use a smart moto PVE-052 plug $21 to go in place of the valve. no codes were thrown after this mod.

it is a emission item put on all vehicles to run the gas tank fumes back into the intake of the engine and my outlook is if it is not needed then it is taken off. You would not notice any difference with it on or off and like R12C-R18TR stated it could be a issue. Strictly a personal choice like with any mod.

Years ago I overfilled the gas tank on my R1200c. Messed up the canister. Performed a canister ectomy and never had a problem.
That is why I don't keep clicking the gas pump handle when filling up my vehicles.Oh wait,I don't fill them up anymore.LOL!

Twisted throttle,

1/. When you refer to the “valve” you mean
the Bosch item ( small cannister approx. 1” long ) with electrical input/ wires attached on the south side and to the larger diameter hose on the northern side going to the air box. Pull hose off Bosch unit and plug hose ?

2/. Smaller diameter fuel hose has to be disconnected from top of Evap cannister and extended with barb connector/ extra hose to a lower part of frame ( a clip already exists ). Can see the hole you used.

3/. The Smart Moto PVE-052 replaces the 1” Bosch unit and plugs into the existing small rectangular looking item currently positioned “south” of the Bosch unit ?

4/. Remove Evap cannister.

Is above procedure correct ? With thanks, Brett.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
This came up over a year ago. Got political kinda quickly. Number 1, do whatever the hell you want with your bike. But number 2, removing the evaporation canister is silly. From a performance perspective, it's meant to increase your engines mpgs and to improve emissions. Seems positive. From an aesthetic perspective, it occupies a space that basically cannot be repurposed. The past member said he was going to store his ammunition there. Total BS, but he sure did stick it to the Prius crowd, oh boy.
Bottom line is either it's there or nothing's there, and when nothing's there, it looks weird. Also, the designers did a pretty good job mimicking the look of the rear spring of old R series bikes.

I agree with your assessment although it seems unlikely the canister increases MPG.
I removed the canister on my R1200C as it dropped 8 Lbs of dead weight but have no plans to do the canisterectomy on my R18.

Was hoping for a response from Twisted throttle ( have sent PM). Yes , l can do whatever l want with my bike. No, it is not silly to remove it. No, l’m not overly concerned with mpg. Emissions are negligible. Aesthetically, bike looks better without a piece of plastic/tubing fowling the frame. That other topic not pertinent to my enquiry. That other member was employing sarcasm. I don’t think it looks weird when eliminated .Drawing a long bow if you think it looks like a rear spring from an old R series. We all hold differing opinions. Yours is just as relevant as mine ; we are diametrically opposed and shall remain that way. Thanks for the diatribe, however not what l was requiring. Twisted throttle, you out there ?

Was hoping for a response from Twisted throttle ( have sent PM). Yes , l can do whatever l want with my bike. No, it is not silly to remove it. No, l’m not overly concerned with mpg. Emissions are negligible. Aesthetically, bike looks better without a piece of plastic/tubing fowling the frame. That other topic not pertinent to my enquiry. That other member was employing sarcasm. I don’t think it looks weird when eliminated .Drawing a long bow if you think it looks like a rear spring from an old R series. We all hold differing opinions. Yours is just as relevant as mine ; we are diametrically opposed and shall remain that way. Thanks for the diatribe, however not what l was requiring. Twisted throttle, you out there ?
Hi
This is what it looks like when a member replies to a member.

The stuff I wrote a few posts ago was written to the thread, not to a particular member. I say that because you sound like you took it personally and seem annoyed that I didn't help answer your questions.

Regarding the canister delete. Rock on, man. Take yours off because tubes and such. Then how about some photos? I'd like to see the improvement for myself.

The canister is a fuel catch can that holds gas fumes.Don't see a performance problem.
Now on another issue and a bit off topic here.So,I will start a new thread.
We may find we need another catch can.A oil catch can since the R18 is the "manifold injected".From what I have read these 1800s are basically
a GDI(Gasoline Direct Injection) engine.Which means no fuel (to clean off the valves)comes in contact with the valves only oil blow by.So the valves will need to be professionally cleaned from time to time.Otherwise,the valves will get a build up of burned,caked on oil.

Back