Exhaust chrome plating repair

Ashton55

I had some gel rust remover on my glove and it touched my exhaust. I didn’t notice it until a bit later. The rust remover ate away at the chrome plating on the exhaust. I wiped it off with a damp cloth and water. I have attached a picture of the damage (zoomed in). The size of the problem area is about the size of a half dollar. The damage is on the curve of the exhaust manifold (part # 18519444986). Does anyone know if the exhaust can be purchased in pieces (rather than buying the entire thing)? Looks like the whole exhaust is about $2500! Does anyone have any experience with fixing the chrome plating on any part of their bike? Any suggestions on some solutions?

View attachment 12924

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 41
Take it you’ve tried decent chrome polish? Don’t use anything abrasive though or you’ll just scratch it to hell anyway. Chrome is pretty tough stuff and I believe the pipes are stainless underneath. If it’s past saving it would be a case of trying to live with it or buying a replacement part ( if you want the standard look ). eBay does have exhausts on it from time to time now that the bikes have been out a while and you’ll only need the front pipe not a full system. Swapping out should be do-able if you take your time and are fairly handy on the spanners.

The header pipes are double walled; I've tried Blue Job to try cleaning up some blueing discoloring without any real improvement.

Maybe remove the header and have it chromed by a shop?

Wellllll I can sell you my entire system for $1200... Im upgrading to prorace.. If you're interested let me know. You pay shipping. my pipes have 800 miles on them btw.

Last edited:
Just in case you can't save it ... the answer is yes, you can buy parts separate ... this is for the R18 pure/FE ... I am not sure if they are all the same ... if you want a finite answer call the folks from MAX BMW and they will know the exact part number
Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 6.33.12 AM.png

... and I agree with Rufus ... try Chrome polish, maybe you can make it go away enough to save the header.

If chrome polish doesn't work, I use "0000" steel wool and WD-40 on my chrome pieces to remove super-stubborn grime.

Works WONDERS!

Mike

I used wax/polish with a circular electric buffer to remove rust spots successfully. Just takes some time and elbow grease to get rid of the spots. Your mileage may vary.

Ashton55 - you can always purchase XUMERX's entire exhaust system... If you consider the retail pricing, I think you're getting a better price..

Anyone ever use A1 Steak Sauce to remove blueing blemishes on chrome exhaust pipes?
I ask, because someone recommended A1 and swears by it, I tried the Blue Job that my wife got me as a stocking stuffer for X-Mas (actually, I think she miss understood or didn't hear me correctly...); long story short, the Blue Job paste didn't work as expected.

Screenshot_20240307-101939.png

Anyone ever use A1 Steak Sauce to remove blueing blemishes on chrome exhaust pipes?
I ask, because someone recommended A1 and swears by it, I tried the Blue Job that my wife got me as a stocking stuffer for X-Mas (actually, I think she miss understood or didn't hear me correctly...); long story short, the Blue Job paste didn't work as expected.

View attachment 13574
Wonder if the A1 thing is like the Coca-Cola thing. Acids and such in there that clean up the chrome. 🤷‍♂️

Back