Exhaust Modified

I think you guys are nuts! Destroying a perfectly good, EXPENSIVE exhaust system, of which ultimately will devalue the bike. You're better off buying a decent quality aftermarket exhaust that sounds good. My opinion of course. The stock Classic sounds awesome with the Brentune!
I agree pal, I love the look of the stock fish tails, but mine has just gone in to BMW Motorrad for it's first service, post exhaust mod and they were impressed and stated it hasn't invalidated my warranty or devalued the bike.
The extras BMW are now doing for the R18 are impressive, I'm going to get the bobber modification next and the beach bars.
At the end of the day, it's horses for courses, we're all different and we can all do what makes us happy.
Peace out bro 👍

Guys I'll take a pic of the back of the exhausts for you when I get home 👌

Rhodri, thanks. Please post the pics here to see how the back of the muffler looks after the modifications, I am curious if these are any welds that affect the chrome.

Matt from the Real Toy Shop says .......",you cannot see the welds as they are precision welded along the bottom seam on the inside so unless you can get you head between the frame , exhaust and back wheel you will never see them "

So appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

I am sending out my mufflers soon. Love the original look of the bike but I prefer a beefier sound.

I also believe that this modification by Matt from the Real Toy Shop also changes the TONE of the exhaust, as it appears deeper or lower pitched, which makes the bike more "mean" or masculine. ( I hope I did not offend any ladies here on the forum, if I did my apologies in advance)

Rhodri, do you feel the sound is deeper or lower in tone ?

Last edited:
Hiya buddy, I did post them, however, I cannot locate them on the thread, therefore, I'll take some more and repost them. All I can say is Matt has done a great job, and you cannot see the weld unless you go under the bike 👍

Hiya buddy, I did post them, however, I cannot locate them on the thread, therefore, I'll take some more and repost them. All I can say is Matt has done a great job, and you cannot see the weld unless you go under the bike 👍

Thanks !! please post pics here appreciated !! I would love to see how this looks before I send my pipes over the pond to Matt in the UK.

Thanks. If you can undo the bolt and pull them off and show shots from both sides they would be perfect. Matt shows lots of pics on the bike.

Not much info available on what was done to the fishtails. So I ran my endoscope down the back of the muffler to take a look.

Attachments

• D6F9188F-6AA0-4A5D-8E6C-F0578989D76D.jpeg
    D6F9188F-6AA0-4A5D-8E6C-F0578989D76D.jpeg
    656.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 452B69CE-FE43-4FA8-914A-FC88E75D5DAD.jpeg
    452B69CE-FE43-4FA8-914A-FC88E75D5DAD.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 9975AD0B-926A-4E45-BF75-A5F2920CAA0E.jpeg
    9975AD0B-926A-4E45-BF75-A5F2920CAA0E.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 35
  • B6A1EC43-EB31-4119-ABF2-5CA64A2B7DEB.jpeg
    B6A1EC43-EB31-4119-ABF2-5CA64A2B7DEB.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 896DBEA8-F22E-4511-91B4-D385BB4B868B.jpeg
    896DBEA8-F22E-4511-91B4-D385BB4B868B.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 39
I’m interested in finding out what exactly if being removed to open things up?
The catalyst appears to be in the pipe between the head pipe and the muffler itself.
Perhaps a well made midpipe sans the catalyst could do the job without having to butcher any internals.

The catalyst appears to be in the pipe between the head pipe and the muffler itself.
Perhaps a well made midpipe sans the catalyst could do the job without having to butcher any internals.
Absolutely MD
Funny,I am running the stock oem mufflers on my Indian 116 with heads,60mm.I have the Rinehart slimline header.The bike actually picked up tq at the 1st 1/3 throttle.Sounds good too,but may have lost a little(maybe,a bit) top end,not sure.I just got tired of the Rinehart mufflers and the noise.
Anyway,I have a pair of the American Custom recored mufflers coming this week.They are the newer Challenger/Chieftain,RM version.
Lats thing,The electronic devise for the flapper may be the easiest way to open things up without cutting.Also,the new cats are really hi flow and may not be an issue.
I certainly would not do something that is not easily reversed.The system is to costly.Unless you got a extra set to butcher.

I suggest those messing around do a couple things to learn a bit about what does what on the R18 exhaust. The direct answer to your question is at the end.

1). Remove the fishtails and start it up in rain or roll mode. Baffles will be closed. It’s not that bad. Now hit the throttle and the baffles open and you have loud obnoxious straight pipe sound like a different manufacturer. Now you know what your baffles do.

2) Put the fishtails back on and disconnect or open the baffles. You will likely find it somewhat louder. Those fishtails muffle a LOT of sound.

3) While opening the baffles is job 1. Any other mods to increase the sound are going to be with the mufflers. Drilling out the baffles did something. Anything you can do to increase the speed of the exhaust will make it louder. So taking out the cats helps that as well.

However. The Big Bang for the bucks in noise creation is removal of the efficiency of the mufflers. I expect he is removing the baffle and removing some of the muffler packing that lines the muffler. Possibly he making the 1.5 inch pipe extend further into the muffler thus shortening the path.

Ken

Absolutely MD
Funny,I am running the stock oem mufflers on my Indian 116 with heads,60mm.I have the Rinehart slimline header.The bike actually picked up tq at the 1st 1/3 throttle.Sounds good too,but may have lost a little(maybe,a bit) top end,not sure.I just got tired of the Rinehart mufflers and the noise.
Anyway,I have a pair of the American Custom recored mufflers coming this week.They are the newer Challenger/Chieftain,RM version.
Lats thing,The electronic devise for the flapper may be the easiest way to open things up without cutting.Also,the new cats are really hi flow and may not be an issue.
I certainly would not do something that is not easily reversed.The system is to costly.Unless you got a extra set to butcher.
My Roadmaster runs the American Customs head pipe and Vance & Hines turn-down slip-one. That about as loud as I’ll live with on a bike. The R18 needs a little improvement but I’m not giving up the fishtails.

Absolutely MD
I picked up a set of take-off fishtails. My son has a metal craftsman that works in his shop.
Now I just need to put together the instructions for him to proceed.

I picked up a set of take-off fishtails. My son has a metal craftsman that works in his shop.
Now I just need to put together the instructions for him to proceed.
Well,
change on the mufflers for me.
I ended up selling the American customs mufflers because the bike was dyno tuned with the Rinehart full system.Anyway,the American Mufflers ran well up to 3/4 throttle but after riding a bit,I found the mufflers erer holding the 116 back at WOT.
Good news though.I found a guy that had a pair of stg 1 Indan mufflers with the newer expensive billet tips that lives about 40 minutes from my house.
He said take em,give me $150.Dunn & Dunn.Like new and the bike loves em.sound is prefect.Got lucky Bro...

Well,
change on the mufflers for me.
I ended up selling the American customs mufflers because the bike was dyno tuned with the Rinehart full system.Anyway,the American Mufflers ran well up to 3/4 throttle but after riding a bit,I found the mufflers erer holding the 116 back at WOT.
Good news though.I found a guy that had a pair of stg 1 Indan mufflers with the newer expensive billet tips that lives about 40 minutes from my house.
He said take em,give me $150.Dunn & Dunn.Like new and the bike loves em.sound is prefect.Got lucky Bro...
Those are nice slip-ons. I was going to add them to my wife’s 19 Chieftain Ltd but she likes the stock setup. I have a complete Stage 2 setup sitting in the garage but she is happy with the bike as is.

Those are nice slip-ons. I was going to add them to my wife’s 19 Chieftain Ltd but she likes the stock setup. I have a complete Stage 2 setup sitting in the garage but she is happy with the bike as is.
The stock pipes sound good and break in with some mileage.The stg2 with a/c & Indian Stg1 mufflers are all good as well.To tell you the truth.The Lloydz cams breaking valve springs really pissed me off.Can't believe a company that offers cams would not check clearence and spring bind.
I had the smaller ones too,558s.Any thats how I ended up with this beast.Kinda miss the stock or stg2 set up.Thought about selling the bike even though it was completely rebuilt at 48,000.
Anyway,sorry for high jacking the thread folks.I'm dun now:)

Back