Exhaust Servo

I ordered that part and it said it didn't fit my 2021 but the other number given given 1185159 said in the "details" that it fit 2010 t0 2023 BMW. Both of these say it doesn't fit my 2021 R18, so I ordered both and will return the one that doesn't seem right. Great info on these pages, thanks to all of you.
Hmmm the link you posted leads to ones that look very different to the ones I used ... this is what I used "Servo Buddy BMW 2010-2023" ... and they are working beautifully

I'm confused!
For context, I have a 2021 R18 FE - No mods.
I'd like to get a little more sounds from the standard fish-tail exhaust - I like the sounds it makes when I'm "pushing it", but it's very quiet under normal riding. If I could get the "pushing it" sound all the time, I'd be happy.
I've had BMW cars for years, with their exhaust servo / flaps, that can be disabled by removing the fuse - makes more difference in some cars than others - my current M140 it's hard to tell the difference.
I'm assuming that BMW uses similar servo/flap approach in their bikes (the R18 is my first BMW bike).

I've read this thread a couple of times and I'm confused.

Am I right is saying there's two alternatives to "disabling" the servo/flap so it stays in the open position:
1. Fiddle with the actuator (if that's the right term) that has the cable , spring, etc that makes the flap open & close, so it stays open
2. Use a "Servo Buddy" type of electrical devise that "tricks" the system so the flap stays open.

Is that right? Or do you need to do both to get the flap to stay open all the time?

Will getting the flap to stay open all the time give me the "pushing it" sound I'm after, all the time?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm confused!
For context, I have a 2021 R18 FE - No mods.
I'd like to get a little more sounds from the standard fish-tail exhaust - I like the sounds it makes when I'm "pushing it", but it's very quiet under normal riding. If I could get the "pushing it" sound all the time, I'd be happy.
I've had BMW cars for years, with their exhaust servo / flaps, that can be disabled by removing the fuse - makes more difference in some cars than others - my current M140 it's hard to tell the difference.
I'm assuming that BMW uses similar servo/flap approach in their bikes (the R18 is my first BMW bike).

I've read this thread a couple of times and I'm confused.

Am I right is saying there's two alternatives to "disabling" the servo/flap so it stays in the open position:
1. Fiddle with the actuator (if that's the right term) that has the cable , spring, etc that makes the flap open & close, so it stays open
2. Use a "Servo Buddy" type of electrical devise that "tricks" the system so the flap stays open.

Is that right? Or do you need to do both to get the flap to stay open all the time?

Will getting the flap to stay open all the time give me the "pushing it" sound I'm after, all the time?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I will try to explain this as clearly as I can. The exhaust valve is connected to a servo motor that is electrically controlled by the Engine Control Module. The valve is also connected to a spring that holds it in the open position by default. There are three ways to ensure the valve stays open all the time:

1. Disconnect the two cables connecting the servo motor to the valve. This way the servo motor stays connected to the ECM and no fault codes are generated. The servo motoe continues to operate, but it's not controlling anything.

2. Disconnect the plug on the servo motor so it does not operate. You will need to purchase the Servo Buddy module and plug it in the harness replacing the servo motor to prevent fault codes.

3. Remove the servo motor and cables from the bike. You will need the Servo Buddy to prevent fault codes. This what I did.

Remember that you need two Servo Buddy modules because the R18 has 2 valves, one per side.

Hope this clears things up for you.

I will try to explain this as clearly as I can. The exhaust valve is connected to a servo motor that is electrically controlled by the Engine Control Module. The valve is also connected to a spring that holds it in the open position by default. There are three ways to ensure the valve stays open all the time:

1. Disconnect the two cables connecting the servo motor to the valve. This way the servo motor stays connected to the ECM and no fault codes are generated. The servo motoe continues to operate, but it's not controlling anything.

2. Disconnect the plug on the servo motor so it does not operate. You will need to purchase the Servo Buddy module and plug it in the harness replacing the servo motor to prevent fault codes.

3. Remove the servo motor and cables from the bike. You will need the Servo Buddy to prevent fault codes. This what I did.

Remember that you need two Servo Buddy modules because the R18 has 2 valves, one per side.

Hope this clears things up for you.
Thanks for that summary - much appreciated.

If I pursue option 2., Do the servo Buddies plug into the harness and the servo motor for a complete circuit, or just the harness and servo buddy becomes the "end-point"?

Also, Since you've done this - in your opinion, do you feel I'll get the sound I'm after if I take this approach?

Thanks again

Thanks for that summary - much appreciated.

If I pursue option 2., Do the servo Buddies plug into the harness and the servo motor for a complete circuit, or just the harness and servo buddy becomes the "end-point"?

Also, Since you've done this - in your opinion, do you feel I'll get the sound I'm after if I take this approach?

Thanks again
The Servo Buddy plugs into the wiring harness, replacing the servo motor. Nothing plugs into the servo motor.

As far as sound, it makes a bit of a difference at idle and low RPM. Since the ECM opens the valves at high RPM, these mods will not make any difference at that point.

The Servo Buddy plugs into the wiring harness, replacing the servo motor. Nothing plugs into the servo motor.

As far as sound, it makes a bit of a difference at idle and low RPM. Since the ECM opens the valves at high RPM, these mods will not make any difference at that point.
Thanks again - Sounds like what I'm after.

You've been very helpful - Thank you

Now to find 2 x servo buddies in Australia.......

So I wanted to pull the trigger on the servo buddy... Revzilla now doesnt list them for the R18, anyone have the correct part numbers?

Back