Exhaust Servo

I did the dna filter and servo eliminator today. I took the servos motors completely off and installed servo buddy part Item #P318455.
When I started the bike it was whisper quiet. Pulled the slip on mufflers off and both servos were completely closed.
I was thinking they defaulted open but not in my case.
Opened them both up and bent the ear down on the servo bracket so both units are 100% open. Put the mufflers back on and it sounds way better and no lights after 100 miles or so.
So if you remove the whole assembly. You might need the make sure they are both open and not closed .

I did the dna filter and servo eliminator today. I took the servos motors completely off and installed servo buddy part Item #P318455.
When I started the bike it was whisper quiet. Pulled the slip on mufflers off and both servos were completely closed.
Opened them both up and bent the ear down on the servo bracket so both units are 100% open. Put the mufflers back on and it sounds way better and no lights after 100 miles or so.
So if you remove the whole assembly. You might need the make sure they are both open and not closed .
Thank you for that post!!!

I'm surprised to read that the exhaust flap defaults to the closed positions, after removing the servo motor control cables. What year is your bike? I assume it's a Model B?

I'm surprised to read that the exhaust flap defaults to the closed positions, after removing the servo motor control cables. What year is your bike? I assume it's a Model B?
Did you only remove the cable from the exhaust flap cam; or perhaps, did you remove the spring assembly associated with the flap?

I was of the understanding that the flaps defaulted in the open position, once disconnected from the servo assembly; your recent post seems to counter dict all of the previous post concerning this modification?

Did you only remove the cable from the exhaust flap cam; or perhaps, did you remove the spring assembly associated with the flap?

I was of the understanding that the flaps defaulted in the open position, once disconnected from the servo assembly; your recent post seems to counter dict all of the previous post concerning this modification?
I removed the entire assembly. Maybe that’s why. I’m guessing with the assembly still on the bike the electric servo motors are in the default position to open.
But if you remove everything the spring on the actual ( throttle body) we will call it They default closed ..
So I’m guessing if you leave the cables hooked up it could possibly hold doors open and then adding the servo buddy’s will fool the ecm.
In my case I wanted it all gone.
Pretty simple fix
I just bent the tabs down on the doors where it mounts to the exhaust and the doors can no longer close.
If I ever want them installed again just bend the tab back then hook up the control module/servo motors

I just double checked how my TC functions after removing the servo and cable assembly with the spring loaded cam & flapper left behind on the bike. I fired up the bike and while laying on my back used my hand to open and close the valve on one side. Mine is definitely default open after the servo assembly is removed; I could tell the difference in the exhaust note immediately with manual manipulation of the valve.

I just double checked how my TC functions after removing the servo and cable assembly with the spring loaded cam & flapper left behind on the bike. I fired up the bike and while laying on my back used my hand to open and close the valve on one side. Mine is definitely default open after the servo assembly is removed; I could tell the difference in the exhaust note immediately with manual manipulation of the valve.
Ya not sure what the difference is but mine were definitely closed. And now with them at 180 degrees they are completely open. it’s night and day difference. I fired it up the first time and was like what the heck …😳
I rode it this evening and with the servos open and the dna filter I’m much happier

Sounds interesting.

In the R Nine T world (I have a 21 scrambler).... cables off the valve cam and it defaults open... been running my scrambler like that since I got it..... but just one valve on them..... on my 21 R18.... I initially unplugged the servo's and installed the two buddies... but didn't notice a real change.....

So I then removed the servos all together and noticed a change..... this did make me wonder if the bike "servos" default to hold the valve closed on power off.... even though the valves are sprung to open..... or maybe not to default open.... maybe just for some cable tension to stop fluttering.

Any way.... I never bothered to investigate... since with valves gone it wasn't an issue anymore.

Ya not sure what the difference is but mine were definitely closed. And now with them at 180 degrees they are completely open. it’s night and day difference. I fired it up the first time and was like what the heck …😳
I rode it this evening and with the servos open and the dna filter I’m much happier
Just did the same, removed cables like on my R9T. My right side stayed open but my left side snapped to the closed position.

It’s pretty simple process. Remove the shield and one clamp. Had best luck when I put them back on by putting a little vasoline on the rubber grommets.
When I was shortening my fishtails, I have uninstalled and installed the fishtails countless times that I’ve learned to use diluted dish soap to make the job easier. And it doesn’t buildup dirt!! A little squirter makes the grommet slippery. I’m not sure if the vaseline is compatible with the grommet material. Now I am having to do the same thing to design a bottom bracket on the R18 to adapt my Pitt-bull lift.

When I was shortening my fishtails, I have uninstalled and installed the fishtails countless times that I’ve learned to use diluted dish soap to make the job easier. And it doesn’t buildup dirt!! A little squirter makes the grommet slippery. I’m not sure if the vaseline is compatible with the grommet material. Now I am having to do the same thing to design a bottom bracket on the R18 to adapt my Pitt-bull lift.
That’s is possible. I have used Vaseline on grommets my whole life without issues. Mainly o- rings. I will give the soap a shot Next time
Thanks

Back