First post and Question re: R18TC

CaptJim

Site Supporter
Finally today I test ride a 2022 R18TC. It was a greyish colored one whatever they are calling that nowadays.
The deal is so good for BMW to offer which means they are really in trouble with this model not selling in the US.
I wonder if they stop the production soon.

Bike was listed $21000 and OTD calculation came up to $23000...I was offered financing at 0% for 60 months with $0 down and $0 payment for the first 7 months.
I love the financial portion of the deal and I really wanted to like the bike...

BUT .... Yes, there is a big "but" there...

When I sat on the bike for the first time before the test ride I've said "OK this is not bad at all"... That lasted until I hit the START button!
OMG !!!
Now, I came back from GSA (5 of them in the last 10 yrs) and Goldwing Tour, GS, R1250RT, Valkyrie Interstate background...
So, almost all my bikes last 20 years or so were over 1000cc and big bodied bikes.

The first thought passed thru my mind as soon as engine started was " No wonder BMW trying everything in order to give these things away for almost free"...
Well, in BMW's book where you can't get a $500 discount on a GSA MSRP, this bike is offered for "Free" as far as I am concerned!

I hated the heel toe shifter but as I understand it could be converted to regular shifter as I am used to in 48 years of riding.

Does anybody really get used to that shaky feeling? When engine started for the first time I thought it was going to rip the clutch lever from my hand and I held onto it like a vice grip for my dear life.
It is very heavy bike and it feels heavy too... I mean no way around not feeling that weight in a parking lot speed maneuver session.

IMHO all that labor and luxurious materials ruined by few bad design flaws...
Small but really irritating stuff will not seduce a lot of riders run to the dealerships and buy one.

Like I mention before I don't know if R18TC have any future in the US market ?
I am very doubtful...
As for Owning one? I am very skeptical about what will that bring to the table?
Can any owners here tell me their experiences please?
Thanks,

CaptJim, I've ridden an 1150 GS for the past 20 years and the TC is a different beastie, not worse or better, just different. Each has their intended purpose.

I was looking for a bike that my wife would be comfortable on pillion. Thought I was gonna buy a K1600. Then I did a ride comparison and, for us, the R18 was definitely a better choice.

I bought our TC last year and am very happy with it. It is a hoot to ride. It took some getting used (adapted to). It's a heavy bike but it's the mass I notice more so than the weight (like when I rode my brother's Goldwing); the toe-heel shifter can be adjusted for you and you get to like it, it's really good for this style of bike/riding.

1800 TC vs 1150 GS:
- SEAT HEIGHT: I like the lower seat height if the TC... nice! (30" inseam)
- SUSPENSION: love the long suspension travel of the GS, and I use it, but I'll not take the TC where I take the GS. The TC suspension travel has been fine so far.
- WEIGHT: if either one goes too far over, the bike's going down. But the GS is built fir it and survives quite well. I haven't dropped the TC (yet).
- HANDLING: the GS is quicker to respond to input but both bikes handle very well. The TC's low-speed handling is amazingly smooth and predictable and higjway handling is the same.
- FUEL RANGE: about the same, a bit more range on the TC but my GS has a lower-geared FD
- TURBULENCE: the GS has a little less air turbulence around the top of my helmet BUT it took me years of fiddling to achieve this
- COMFORT: my wife is comfy when 2-up, no longer so on the GS. I'm good on either bike.
- NAV: my Zumo beats BMW nav hands-down BUT the BMW Connected app isn't bad. It's just a bit frustrating figuring it out. I never have connectivity isdues, just user-interface issues like, 'How do I get itvto do this?' Possibly my almost 3 decades of Garmin use has made the Zumo more intuitive for me.

Finally, search this forum. You'll see the goods and bads from many people. Personally, for me, the TC is a keeper.

PS, I'm kinda an old-timer too but only 44 years on road bikes, so far.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I own a 2022 R18 Transcontinental as well and have no major issues.

What you're experiencing is the engine starting up, and the general low-rev imbalance of BMW boxer engines. EVERY. SINGLE. BMW boxer has this imbalance. It's just that, at 1802cc, the imbalance at idle is more pronounced.

As for the financing incentives, please don't come in here with assumptions that BMW is going to discontinue the TC because of that. I bought mine due to 0.09% APR financing incentive. Further, it's my understanding that, during BMW's latest earnings call, that the R18 line moved ~10,000 units during CY2022. Of note, the RnineT has moved ~108,000 units since 2014, putting the R18 nearly on par in sales figures with the RnineT.

And, BMW doesn't consider the RnineT a marketing failure, so...with the R18 well on its way to meeting 10k units per year sold, I'd say the Transcontinental is here to stay!

But, that's just my .02 cents as an enthusiast, and as a shareholder.

Mike

I sold my 2018 Grand America due to stability issues, and bought a new 2021 R18 TC FE. I got used to its quirks like its weight, heel-toe shifter and Nav, which works well once you get to know it.
But… if I could have 2 bikes, this would’ve been a keeper. The wife said this bike had the most comfortable pillion seat of all the bikes I’ve had.
I’m a rider that likes twisty roads, and although this bike can handle twisty roads, you really need to slow the bike down to keep from scraping parts. This is a cruiser after all, and there’s the rub. This bike is made for long distance touring, although the panniers and top-box are a bit small for 2-up touring over a weekend.
So, I reluctantly sold the TC and got a 2022 K1600 GTL. For only being able to have one bike, this one does it all for me.
If I could have 2 bikes, the TC and a S1000XR would be my bikes of choice. The TC for my wife’s comfort, and the XR for my twisty roads fix.
Everyone has their preferences, but I couldn’t live with the TC as my only bike. But I’m not everyone, and the TC can be the only bike for a lot of people.
Good luck with your decision!

Morning all, in terms of GoldWing (GL1800B) / R18 comparison given the OP's bike background, I will be able to speak to this experience in an informed manner in the coming weeks as I pick up my new (to me) R18B tomorrow. Happy to report back for a subjective view. The GL1800B was an excellent bike and one which will be hard to beat, I was looking for more 'character' and having owned a RNineT before I look forward to the 1803cc experience in the R18B. I know it many ways it will be less refined, but not in a bad way for what I am looking for. The GL1800B was extremely refined (2022 model).

Hi CaptJim;

I hear what you are saying about the torque at startup and also when you rev the engine standing still.. Personally I kind of like it, that and the sound of a big boxer engine. In my mind, it is classic, old school. Love of "classic" is why my "fun car" is a 66 Dodge not some modern day Vette. My last Beemer was a K1600B which was super smooth, I don't miss it at all... As for the financial thing, I would say this. BMW tries to to enter the big cruiser market every so often, look back on the R1200C of roughly 25 years ago..nice bike but it didn't catch on truly. The same thing will most likely happen here IMHO, so what. I looked at it in terms of replacement cost. I could have kept my K1600B (lease end purchase) or go with the 2022 TC, the money was about the same but the TC was 4 years newer..no brainer.. My guess is that another newer bike; HD, Indian or Beemer, will cost you thousands more than what you are looking at here. At the end of the day, I buy a bike to ride, not as an investment. I am more than happy with my TC and am enjoying the heck out of it for many years to come.

Sold my 2008 GS Adventure w/ 96,682 miles on it in order to go into a Harley Street Glide ST or Road Glide ST; that's was until I saw the R18 B, not to mention the price difference and the quality that BMW oozes out vs HD.

Absolutely love the R18 B; I even had a recent opportunity to compare it against the HD SG and RG on a 10+ hr ride with my son from San Diego to Joshua Tree three weeks ago; I only wished I could have done the ride on my R18 B vs the two HD models.

1800 cc... Of course you're going to feel that; early HD Street Glides felt like a vibrating bed in some shady motel... It's just a different kind of vibration with the opposed boxer engine.

Get that TC...!!

Sold my 2008 GS Adventure w/ 96,682 miles on it in order to go into a Harley Street Glide ST or Road Glide ST; that's was until I saw the R18 B, not to mention the price difference and the quality that BMW oozes out vs HD.

Absolutely love the R18 B; I even had a recent opportunity to compare it against the HD SG and RG on a 10+ hr ride with my son from San Diego to Joshua Tree three weeks ago; I only wished I could have done the ride on my R18 B vs the two HD models.

1800 cc... Of course you're going to feel that; early HD Street Glides felt like a vibrating bed in some shady motel... It's just a different kind of vibration with the opposed boxer engine.

Get that TC...!!
Those two HD's were exactly what I was looking at! Very unrefined, but admittedly fun!

Finally today I test ride a 2022 R18TC. It was a greyish colored one whatever they are calling that nowadays.
The deal is so good for BMW to offer which means they are really in trouble with this model not selling in the US.

Bike was listed $21000 and OTD calculation came up to $23000...I was offered financing at 0% for 60 months with $0 down and $0 payment for the first 7 months.
I love the financial portion of the deal and I really wanted to like the bike...

When I sat on the bike for the first time before the test ride I've said "OK this is not bad at all"... That lasted until I hit the START button!
OMG !!!
Now, I came back from GSA (5 of them in the last 10 yrs) and Goldwing Tour, GS, R1250RT, Valkyrie Interstate background...
So, almost all my bikes last 20 years or so were over 1000cc and big bodied bikes.

The first thought passed thru my mind as soon as engine started was " No wonder BMW trying everything in order to give these things away for almost free"...
Well, in BMW's book where you can't get a $500 discount on a GSA MSRP, this bike is offered for "Free" as far as I am concerned!

I hated the heel toe shifter but as I understand it could be converted to regular shifter as I am used to in 48 years of riding.

Does anybody really get used to that shaky feeling? When engine started for the first time I thought it was going to rip the clutch lever from my hand and I held onto it like a vice grip for my dear life.
It is very heavy bike and it feels heavy too... I mean no way around not feeling that weight in a parking lot speed maneuver session.

Small but really irritating stuff will not seduce a lot of riders run to the dealerships and buy one.

I am very doubtful...
Thanks,
There is famous phrase (in Spanish sounds better) "If you don't like at the store, you're not going to like at home". I disagree with (almost) all your opinions but its on you to buy it or not. IMHO you should try again or think what kind of bike do you want. For example, the R18 (in any variant) is not comparable with the Goldwing in terms of "vibration"

PD: the shifter sucks, is a fact (there is not enough room because of the cylinder)

Those two HD's were exactly what I was looking at! Very unrefined, but admittedly fun!
Agreed... HD makes great looking bikes; however, the R18 B leapfrog over HD in terms of quality, safety and technology. I have zero issues with the toe/heal shifter, it took me all of two rides before my brain rewired itself so that upshifting or downshifting is second nature. Zero issues with floorboard space or foot placement behind the cylinder heads..

I wanted a bike where I could stream music, have navigation and overall comfort; all of my riding buddies either have a Street Glide or a Road Glide..

Ok guys, first I tank you all for the responses...
A few pointers about me to give you a better picture what I know, what I am looking for, what is good for me and etc etc.,

- 100% of the time I ride solo... No passenger comfort concern for me.
- Top case is important for me since 90% of my rides are overnight rides and my wife packs my stuff as if she was kicking me out of the house for the rest of my life!
- I am 100% paved road rider. I may get on to some neglected, old, pot hole haven kind of back roads for short distances but still they will be all paved.
- I am familiar with the 10.25" style display and NAV from my 2022 R1250RT since it was the same display design used on that bike too. So no worries there too.

Before the test ride, I watched a lot of YouTube reviews regarding TC and I was expecting the vibration as I heard mentioned by the reviewing riders. During the test ride when I hit the gas on 2nd or 3rd gear the vibration I felt did not bother me at all.
What confused me and worried was, when the bike was in N and I squeezed the clutch and started the bike, clutch lever rattled so roughly as if it wanted to get out of my hand...
I wasn't expecting that to happen. I never experienced to feel the engine rattling on a fully squeezed clutch lever.
I don't know if clutch needed an adjustment or is that normal feeling or if it wasn't remedied will I ever like or used to that feeling was my concern.

Also I live inland valley of CA where our summer days are always around 100F and if it ever goes below 90F we call it "cooling"... I don't know if it will have any negative effects on air cooled TC engine or not. I am not mechanically savvy to have an idea on that.

Again, let me reiterate my worry about the vibration...

I am ok with 1800cc Boxer engines vibration while bike underway whether at 10 mph or 70 mph.

I didn't like what I felt at the CLUTCH lever during Neutral or at STARTUP...

Was I doing something wrong or was clutch not setup right I have no idea...

Do you guys feel the clutch lever PULSATING at full squeeze like it wants to break free at a red light, or at the moment of startup...

Again, I am ok with bikes right left shake or HD-like vibration etc...

That clutch pulsating under my hand issue bothered me a lot. I'd like a clutch feeling buttery smooth at full squeeze or at release... Do yours have the same pulsating issue ???

On each of my R18s, TC included, I've found that the clutch/shifting/suspension/brakes all have become more refined with use, and I'd say are better now than new. It could behoove you to try an R18 with some miles on it as several folks have noted improvements especially after the initial break-in activity is completed. My TC at over 12000 miles is better than ever. Best fortune on your decision.

OMG !!!

I am very doubtful...
Can any owners here tell me their

OMG !!!

I am very doubtful...
Thanks,

Someone likes Monica Bellucci, and someone likes Kim Kardashian. Judging by your review, this girl is simply not for you:)

Again, let me reiterate my worry about the vibration...

I am ok with 1800cc Boxer engines vibration while bike underway whether at 10 mph or 70 mph.

I didn't like what I felt at the CLUTCH lever during Neutral or at STARTUP...

Was I doing something wrong or was clutch not setup right I have no idea...

Do you guys feel the clutch lever PULSATING at full squeeze like it wants to break free at a red light, or at the moment of startup...

Again, I am ok with bikes right left shake or HD-like vibration etc...

That clutch pulsating under my hand issue bothered me a lot. I'd like a clutch feeling buttery smooth at full squeeze or at release... Do yours have the same pulsating issue ???
The clutch lever pulsing during neutral/startup is simply resonance via the idling motor. The clutch on our bikes is dry, like a standard car. That being said, I've never once felt that the clutch was going to "run away" on me, or I'd lose control of the friction zone. And yes, mine has the same pulsing. Some would call it "character", not unlike the boxer motor rumbling at idle.

Did you know that Honda Goldwings use boxer motors too? But, because their riders complained of the rumbling at idle, due to the inherent imbalance at low idle, that Honda put a counterbalancer on the crankshaft to eliminate the rumbling feel.

BMW has been building boxer motors for 100 years as of this year (1923 - 2023). The R18 is a heritage nod to their R5. While I've never had the privilege of riding an R5, maybe BMW even modeled the engine rumble of the "big boxer" after the R5's own boxer? I can only speculate.

Lastly, and I can only speak for myself here, but I LOVE the heel-toe shifter. I HATE, HATE, HATE getting blisters on the top of my big toe when I upshift in my sneakers (yes, yes, don't judge me) on a toe-shifter bike. With my TC, I can get away with wearing sneakers and walk away with no blisters to boot (pun intended) ;)

Mike

Someone likes Monica Bellucci, and someone likes Kim Kardashian. Judging by your review, this girl is simply not for you:)
Sure but sometimes arranged marriages works better than the ones started with flirting first and I still need a girl! ( Now my wife is confused why I want a motorcycle )...

So, who knows, if I am convinced by those of you who came from a different background like myself whether GSA or Goldwing and then got used to the R18TC and now happier than ever, I may consider to give it a try.
What could be the worst case scenario? If I don't like it I sell it... In the last 20 yrs I changed 25 bikes. So this could be the #26 whether after a year or after few months... It's not like I did not do this before...

I am curious if it had any balancing issues like K1600B had or pulling to the left issues K1600GTL (in the past models) had or any other quirks...

If shakiness is the only different vibe from the previous bikes I owned I may get used to it. I am 65 so possibly I won't notice if it's me shaking or if it is the bike after a while owning the TC.

Sure but sometimes arranged marriages works better than the ones started with flirting first and I still need a girl! ( Now my wife is confused why I want a motorcycle )...

So, who knows, if I am convinced by those of you who came from a different background like myself whether GSA or Goldwing and then got used to the R18TC and now happier than ever, I may consider to give it a try.
What could be the worst case scenario? If I don't like it I sell it... In the last 20 yrs I changed 25 bikes. So this could be the #26 whether after a year or after few months... It's not like I did not do this before...

I am curious if it had any balancing issues like K1600B had or pulling to the left issues K1600GTL (in the past models) had or any other quirks...

If shakiness is the only different vibe from the previous bikes I owned I may get used to it. I am 65 so possibly I won't notice if it's me shaking or if it is the bike after a while owning the TC.
Pulling to the left issues? Yes, it's inherent, courtesy of the physics of the boxer design. However, I've never found it to be an issue at any rolling speed. It's just fun to kind of blip the throttle while in neutral and watch the entire bike lurch - just a BMW quirk, and it's been on every BMW boxer I've ever owned.

Edit: I meant to say "Pulling to the RIGHT".

Mike

Last edited:
Back