Fishtail mods.

Fishtail mods forum has wealth of information!! I’ll be getting my 2022 R18 719 in a few weeks. I can’t stand the long fishtail mufflers until saw the shortened version. It’s a dramatic change! If I shortened them w/o altering the internals such as confusing the program, leaving the flapper open, or drilling baffles, or taking them out, do I need the stage 2 to keep it running right? Would simply shortening the mufflers void the warranty?

Yes....works fine.
Is the “yes” answer to my question whether I need the stage 2 program when I shortened the fishtail without altering the internals? My intent is style improvement for now. I’ll review the sound as I put miles on the bike w the shortened fishtail look.

Someone in this forum mentioned spare fishtails to practice with. I can do metal work but beginner mig welder😄. I want to be able to put the originals back on for warranty concerns.

Is the “yes” answer to my question whether I need the stage 2 program when I shortened the fishtail without altering the internals? My intent is style improvement for now. I’ll review the sound as I put miles on the bike w the shortened fishtail look.

Someone in this forum mentioned spare fishtails to practice with. I can do metal work but beginner mig welder😄. I want to be able to put the originals back on for warranty concerns.
Pretty expensive parts for a beginner to practice on.

Pretty expensive parts for a beginner to practice on.
It depends on what you mean by expensive. If I can find set to shorten and paint black for a reasonable price, I’ll get them. I will keep my original set just in case I possibly need some warranty work done. If not, I’ll get a custom (shorter than fishtail) and sell the originals when the warranty expires. This reminds me when I bought a new 2000 Harley Deuce and practically gave parts away after customizing the bike! My wife called the Deuce a starter bike!! Do you have a set that we can talk about without you giving them away?

It depends on what you mean by expensive. If I can find set to shorten and paint black for a reasonable price, I’ll get them. I will keep my original set just in case I possibly need some warranty work done. If not, I’ll get a custom (shorter than fishtail) and sell the originals when the warranty expires. This reminds me when I bought a new 2000 Harley Deuce and practically gave parts away after customizing the bike! My wife called the Deuce a starter bike!! Do you have a set that we can talk about without you giving them away?
There are sets that pop up on eBay. I’ve seen them go in the $400-500 range. There are some very unrealistic listings running right now.

I picked up a set for about $400 on eBay and I have a fabrication guy looking them over to see what he can do for me.

There are sets that pop up on eBay. I’ve seen them go in the $400-500 range. There are some very unrealistic listings running right now.

I picked up a set for about $400 on eBay and I have a fabrication guy looking them over to see what he can do for me.
It’s too bad we’re not neighbors. I consider myself a fabricator and have a mig welder. We can play and learn a lot!! $400 is what I consider a keeper price. I’ll call the dealership in Charleston, SC, to check if they would void the warranty if the fishtail was shortened. If it’s ok, I’ll proceed w the project.

If others in the fishtail forum has warranty experience concerns, please chime in. Also, will shortening the fishtail, without altering the internals, affect running condition???

It’s too bad we’re not neighbors. I consider myself a fabricator and have a mig welder. We can play and learn a lot!! $400 is what I consider a keeper price. I’ll call the dealership in Charleston, SC, to check if they would void the warranty if the fishtail was shortened. If it’s ok, I’ll proceed w the project.

If others in the fishtail forum has warranty experience concerns, please chime in. Also, will shortening the fishtail, without altering the internals, affect running condition???
I’m wouldn’t worry about the warranty unless you alter/remove the catalytic converters or O2 sensors. It would be no different than adding a slip-on exhaust.

Back