Fishtail mods.

@Gr8adv I'm super interested in modifying the stock fishtail pipes. Any updates on your project? đŸ»
My update is “Perfect”. Nice at low throttle input, great ‘grownup’ rasp but not stupid when on the throttle anywhere in the range. The combo of airbox, cat, flapper and baffle are exactly what I was looking for.

All but the baffle are pretty easy. Although the cat takes some work and a welder.

I have a perfect set of headers if you want t to play. I bought someone else’s (that were not as nice as mine) to practice on. Once done I didn’t want to do another set. So mine are as new, but not free and likely costly to ship.

GL!!!!

By now you would think that a bike builder somewhere would offer this service.
There is a guy in Colorado that's been doing Valkyrie exhaust mods for many years.
Horseapple.com
Maybe somebody near him could get in touch and see what he could do.

My update is “Perfect”. Nice at low throttle input, great ‘grownup’ rasp but not stupid when on the throttle anywhere in the range. The combo of airbox, cat, flapper and baffle are exactly what I was looking for.

All but the baffle are pretty easy. Although the cat takes some work and a welder.

I have a perfect set of headers if you want t to play. I bought someone else’s (that were not as nice as mine) to practice on. Once done I didn’t want to do another set. So mine are as new, but not free and likely costly to ship.

GL!!!!
Hi Gr8adv, how did you manage to keep the flapper open?

Hi Gr8adv, how did you manage to keep the flapper open?
The flappers default to open. Disconnect them and you are fine. Just disconnect the cables at the exhaust side and you are good to go.

Best choice is to remove the entire flapper control unit. Easy peasy 1 bolt and the low hanging unit comes off. But you will need two dongles to fool the computer. You can find them most anywhere. The ones for the s1000r are perfect.

The flappers default to open. Disconnect them and you are fine. Just disconnect the cables at the exhaust side and you are good to go.

Best choice is to remove the entire flapper control unit. Easy peasy 1 bolt and the low hanging unit comes off. But you will need two dongles to fool the computer. You can find them most anywhere. The ones for the s1000r are perfect.
Interesting, you happen to have a link to those dongles?

Hi,
good idea! Where will the dongles connected? Into the 2 (unplugged) cables or anywhere else?

Does anyone know if the flappers are closed or open at idle?

Edit: just did a little Google work for the flapper on other bmw's and it appears to be closed at idle for noise reasons

Last edited:
Unplug the control unit and plug in the dongles. Best to remove the entire unit then plug in the dongles.
Thanks! Only to be sure: The dongles will be plugged into the 2 cables?
I didnÂŽt want to remove the entire unit, because of our legal rules. If neccessary i could connect itwithin 2 minutes.

Thanks! Only to be sure: The dongles will be plugged into the 2 cables?
I didnÂŽt want to remove the entire unit, because of our legal rules. If neccessary i could connect itwithin 2 minutes.
No. The plugs are electrical. The cables are mechanical. You have to unplug the unit from the harness under the bike then plug the dongles into the harness

Fwiw I can’t imagine anyone other than your dealer actually looking for it will ever noticing that unit missing.

If you are NOT going to remove the unit you still must disconnect both cables from each side. This will open the flap. The dongle just fools the computer that they are opening and closing.

Does anyone know if the flappers are closed or open at idle?

Edit: just did a little Google work for the flapper on other bmw's and it appears to be closed at idle for noise reasons
Closed at idle. One of the reasons it is so quiet at idle. Open when cables are disconnected. 😎

No. The plugs are electrical. The cables are mechanical. You have to unplug the unit from the harness under the bike then plug the dongles into the harness

Fwiw I can’t imagine anyone other than your dealer actually looking for it will ever noticing that unit missing.

If you are NOT going to remove the unit you still must disconnect both cables from each side. This will open the flap. The dongle just fools the computer that they are opening and closing.

Okay, now it becomes clearer.

How can i disconnect the 2 cables? Could you provide a photo? That whould helps a lot!

Hi,
today i installed the servodummies, fast and easy. Thanks for your tip!

But why should i disconnect the cables? The flap is completly open when you turn off the bike. So it stays open when you disconnect it.

Or am i wrong?

Hi,
today i installed the servodummies, fast and easy. Thanks for your tip!

But why should i disconnect the cables? The flap is completly open when you turn off the bike. So it stays open when you disconnect it.

Or am i wrong?
If the flaps are opened and you have the buddies in place with the bike not connected to the unit it should be fine.

Back