Front lever brake adjustment?

harrisrc740

Is it possible to adjust the engage point of the front brake lever? On my K1600 the brake lever engages immediately upon pulling the lever, but with my R18 seems to engage after it is almost fully squeezed. I think the roller on the lever adjust how wide or narrow the opening is? So is there a way to adjust the engage point?

I will have a look at this when I get home but I thought that the roller over the lever was just to do this, make the biting point sharper or softer. I have never had to adjust any of my levers on any bike hence I can’t talk by experience, just assumption.

I will have a look at this when I get home but I thought that the roller over the lever was just to do this, make the biting point sharper or softer. I have never had to adjust any of my levers on any bike hence I can’t talk by experience, just assumption.
Same here, I have messed with the roller on the levers before but from my memory it was just to make the opening of the levers wider or more narrow it seems. I noticed the difference in the biting point when I first test rode a R18B since I rode my K1600 up to the dealer, and I keep noticing it when I switch between the bikes. Just wondering if it is possible to make the brakes grab earlier in the squeeze?

Is it possible to adjust the engage point of the front brake lever? On my K1600 the brake lever engages immediately upon pulling the lever, but with my R18 seems to engage after it is almost fully squeezed. I think the roller on the lever adjust how wide or narrow the opening is? So is there a way to adjust the engage point?
Don't you have a dime shaped "thing" on top of your brake lever numbered 1-5. That takes the slack out of the brake engage point.

Yes the same one but I thought that just took care of how wide or narrow the lever is. I need to play with it after work and see if it makes any difference on the engage point.

Yes the same one but I thought that just took care of how wide or narrow the lever is. I need to play with it after work and see if it makes any difference on the engage point.
Turn it all the way to one side and check the brake lever tension. If you turn it one way, it will shorten the amount of throw the lever takes to brake, the other way will make it so you have to depress the level all the way in to brake.
Good luck....

Let me know.....On the Harley's there is another adjustment on the cable itself, kind of an old school threaded retainer you could tighten or let out that would also adjust the clutch, but I don't see that on the BMWs.
Yeah it was just that easy🤬 I feel so stupid, could have fixed that long ago...

Yes, the lever did not open wider like I assumed it would, it just changed the engage point. Thanks!!!
Cool.
If no one showed you, how are you supposed to know??
Let me tell you what stupid feels like...
Bought the 23 Anniversary model. I paid to have it transported to my house, I had had hernia surgery and didn't want to ride 50 miles home on it.
A couple of weeks later I'm ready to take ride with my guys. Get on the bike, it's dead. Nothing. Brand new bike, 6 miles on it, had it on a trickle charger the whole time. Battery charger says the battery is fully charged.
It's a Sunday, dealership is closed, I'm totally pissed off. Had to wait till Tuesday, paid the same transport guy $125 to come get this piece of shit and take it back to the dealer!!! I'm furious.
The guy comes over, I give him the key, he starts the bike right up to take it to the trailer....WTF !!!! He said what's the problem why is the bike going back?? The battery was dead I thought and wouldn't take charge.
Did you put the clutch in? The bike is in neutral man, why does the clutch need to be in?? The new models are like that a safety thing. Bike ONLY starts with the clutch fully depressed.....

No one told me.....and I have had lots of bikes, boats, et.....that's stupid....

Cheers.....

Cool.
If no one showed you, how are you supposed to know??
Let me tell you what stupid feels like...
Bought the 23 Anniversary model. I paid to have it transported to my house, I had had hernia surgery and didn't want to ride 50 miles home on it.
A couple of weeks later I'm ready to take ride with my guys. Get on the bike, it's dead. Nothing. Brand new bike, 6 miles on it, had it on a trickle charger the whole time. Battery charger says the battery is fully charged.
It's a Sunday, dealership is closed, I'm totally pissed off. Had to wait till Tuesday, paid the same transport guy $125 to come get this piece of shit and take it back to the dealer!!! I'm furious.
The guy comes over, I give him the key, he starts the bike right up to take it to the trailer....WTF !!!! He said what's the problem why is the bike going back?? The battery was dead I thought and wouldn't take charge.
Did you put the clutch in? The bike is in neutral man, why does the clutch need to be in?? The new models are like that a safety thing. Bike ONLY starts with the clutch fully depressed.....

No one told me.....and I have had lots of bikes, boats, et.....that's stupid....

Cheers.....
Took me a minute to get use to that also :ROFLMAO: I have had too many instances with this R18 that make me feel NEW to bikes, although I have been riding since 1987.

Since early 2000 all the bikes I have had (Japanese) you have to press the clutch in order to crank the engine on.

Back