Front lever brake adjustment?

Took me a minute to get use to that also :ROFLMAO: I have had too many instances with this R18 that make me feel NEW to bikes, although I have been riding since 1987.
My 2014 R9T would start in neutral without the clutch being in....which is why it never occurred to me. And the salesman at the dealership told me, "You have an R9T, this R18 operates the same way, didn't show me jack....

I was a in the car business 100 years ago, ran car dealerships. Even when I was there (20 years worth) customer satisfaction from the factory was becoming fanatical....which is not necessarily a bad thing. Dealerships were awarded cars they wanted based on travel rate and CSI. Customer satisfaction index. Even in service their yearly bonuses were attached to that. I mention this because as interested as BMW the parent company is with that index, Motorrad seems to not care so much if at all which is very surprising. I worked for BMW and owned probably 10 or more over the years. But I hear stories of them blowing off customer complaints.
Back in my day, the salesman would go though every product we sold, period, no exceptions. IF the salersman had taken just two minutes to show me the bike I never would have gone through that hassle of not being able to start it.
But this is somewhat indicitive of the times we live in, it's not instilled in people to do theur job with excellence, to the best of their bility. To take pride in being a professional, wether your parking cars or a surgeon.

That's not half bad ... thanks for the info!

EDIT: I just looked .. everybody appears to have gone insane with the prices!!! not only the levers .. the chest plate and Valve covers have doubled (+) in price !!!!
Right!!! I still want and need the covers for brake & clutch reservoirs but dont want to pay the $350 knowing I could have got them for half that price if I would have got them in 2023.

Right!!! I still want and need the covers for brake & clutch reservoirs but dont want to pay the $350 knowing I could have got them for half that price if I would have got them in 2023.
I bought these:
AliExpress
You have to be a little careful, the ad is a bit misleading ... you have to order 3 pieces by picking the picture of the right, left and rear cover you want. I got the black ones with the ridges machined into them. So a total of just over $60 for all 3 .. I really like them ... the big difference between them and the RS ones is, that these replace the OEM cover ... not just cover them. IMO they are very pretty and a great fit.
Usually I wouldn't go Chinese ... but I took a chance and hit a bullseye!
... just some thoughts ;)

I bought these:
AliExpress
You have to be a little careful, the ad is a bit misleading ... you have to order 3 pieces by picking the picture of the right, left and rear cover you want. I got the black ones with the ridges machined into them. So a total of just over $60 for all 3 .. I really like them ... the big difference between them and the RS ones is, that these replace the OEM cover ... not just cover them. IMO they are very pretty and a great fit.
Usually I wouldn't go Chinese ... but I took a chance and hit a bullseye!
... just some thoughts ;)
hmmm... much better option price wise, but I do have the rear RSD cover and not sure how this matches up with all the other RSD items I currently have on the bike.

Cool.
If no one showed you, how are you supposed to know??
Let me tell you what stupid feels like...
Bought the 23 Anniversary model. I paid to have it transported to my house, I had had hernia surgery and didn't want to ride 50 miles home on it.
A couple of weeks later I'm ready to take ride with my guys. Get on the bike, it's dead. Nothing. Brand new bike, 6 miles on it, had it on a trickle charger the whole time. Battery charger says the battery is fully charged.
It's a Sunday, dealership is closed, I'm totally pissed off. Had to wait till Tuesday, paid the same transport guy $125 to come get this piece of shit and take it back to the dealer!!! I'm furious.
The guy comes over, I give him the key, he starts the bike right up to take it to the trailer....WTF !!!! He said what's the problem why is the bike going back?? The battery was dead I thought and wouldn't take charge.
Did you put the clutch in? The bike is in neutral man, why does the clutch need to be in?? The new models are like that a safety thing. Bike ONLY starts with the clutch fully depressed.....

No one told me.....and I have had lots of bikes, boats, et.....that's stupid....

Cheers.....
I got a kick out of that one! Two weeks before riding and the owners manual is still in dealer package unread. I used to not read owners manuals....those times vehicles were really simple. Crank up windows and stick shift. Nowadays, so much technology, it behooves one to read the manual after a purchase of any vehicle. At least the startup and shutdown sequence....then everything in between!

EDIT: However, I have done so many stupid things that I dare not mention!

Last edited:
With the adjustment of the front brakes, my R18 handles much better now!! Was always a scare that the brake lever had to be fully pulled before engagement would start. Loving the bike more and more with every ride.

Back