Fuel Pump Whine

I took my R18 Classic in for the 600 mile maintenance yesterday. It was bought in August. They said there were no recalls. I haven't had the whine.

It looks like there was a change to the R18 at some point with two versions. Go to their Installation Instructions page here https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/service/manuals/install-manual.html and select R Models, Heritage to see R18-OL11 and R18-OL13 and R18 Classic-OL21 and R18 Classic-OL23. I read somewhere that the second version came out in March 2021 (I might be wrong). Has anyone took a survey to see if those experiencing a whine had a manufacturing date prior to March 2021?

Tom
Mine was purchased in October 2020. Not sure of the actual manufacturing date, but well before March 2021

Yes! They confirmed for me that BMW has a PUMA for it: Service Bulletin S1 13 07 21 -- loud/noisy fuel pump. Unfortunately, because the dealer had a power outage right after I arrived, they were hesitant to install the updates because there were 18 of them and it could be 30 minutes or 4 hours. I'm therefore going to take it back next Thursday for the update. They also mentioned that these updates may also address the fact that my left side pipe is already bluing after 600 miles while the right is still shiny new.

Yes! They confirmed for me that BMW has a PUMA for it: Service Bulletin S1 13 07 21 -- loud/noisy fuel pump. Unfortunately, because the dealer had a power outage right after I arrived, they were hesitant to install the updates because there were 18 of them and it could be 30 minutes or 4 hours. I'm therefore going to take it back next Thursday for the update. They also mentioned that these updates may also address the fact that my left side pipe is already bluing after 600 miles while the right is still shiny new.
If your left-side exhaust header is blueing, there might be two pretty unhappy left-side exhaust valves and/or valve seats as well. The dealer might as well perform a cylinder leak-down test while you have the bike there to update the ECU - to be sure all is well.

Woo-hoo! Bike is back and after the service updates, no more whine! It's such a better ride. I don't think BMW did a proper job of marketing how unique this bike sounds. The little ticks of the shaft spinning are almost meditative.

Friday, October 15 took my bike into Hermy’s mention it to the service writer loud noisy wine mention service Bulletin he was aware of it set a take an hour and a half it would be correct it what a difference nice quiet riding now kudos to Hermy’s

Friday, October 15 took my bike into Hermy’s mention it to the service writer loud noisy wine mention service Bulletin he was aware of it set a take an hour and a half it would be correct it what a difference nice quiet riding now kudos to Hermy’s
Did you by any chance get the Service Bulletin number or code?

After 1600 km the whine didn't come back.
I think the last update is reliable.
Black Dog, Dane gave the service bulletin previously.

I have to be honest, I was two thirds through this thread and still convinced it was a case of OCD. When I heard the whine in the second video I began to change my mind. That was LOUD. As of now I'm a big fan of Gerard. Well done for documenting the issue and seeing it through to a final resolution. Bravo!

Had the same two procedures done at the dealership. High pitch whine of the fuel pump and the front turn signal.
The noise is completely gone. Mine is a 2021FE

I had mine done as well. No noise, but once the temperatures turned cold here, the noise went away prior to the fix. Assuming it'll be OK once it heats up around here.

Back