Fuel Pump Whine

PuMA is a worldwide BMW database of all reported problems and most with their appropriate fixes. I think the acronym means Problem and Measures management Aftersales or in German: Problem und Mebnahmenmanagement Aftersales.

Great news one hour ago !
They want me to bring the bike at the shop tomorrow.
It'll have the latest soft update to, allegedly, get rid of the Evil whistle.
I'll keep you informed :LOL:
Seems the videos are doing the job...:sneaky:

THE WHINE IS GONE !!!
Picked up my bike this morning and no more whistle under the tank.
I can just hear the soft purr of the engine...😃
They made the latest soft update and job's done.
A bit surprised by the fact that a simple part like a fuel pump has such a sophisticated management.
No doubt my multilanguage YouTube videos motivated their commitment but they did it well.
Thank's BMW !
😌
Just in time!
We'll leave for a road trip to Sicilia next week.
Hoping it won't be back...

Last edited:
THE WHINE IS GONE !!!
A bit surprised by the fact that a simple part like a fuel pump has such a sophisticated management.
No doubt my multilanguage YouTube videos motivated their commitment but they did it well.
Thank's BMW !
😌
Just in time!
Finally, was it only a software update?

THE WHINE IS GONE !!!
Thank's BMW !
😌
Just in time!
Any details on what we need to tell our dealer in order for them to find the software fix?

Hello Gerard.
Same question from me.
Was it only a Software-Update?
My second pump was silent at the beginning.
After 7 day in the alps with 3000km the noise came back, but not yet as loud as with the first pump.

I wish you a pleasant ride.

They told me that they made the last Puma measure consisting in a software update.
I have no more information.
The previous update had been done a month ago, along with the pump change.
All the dealers must be aware of the solution, that's the reason why PUMA measures exist.
Anyway I'll call them tomorrow to have more elements.

They told me that they made the last Puma measure .
I have no more information.
The previous had been done a month ago, along with the pump change.
All the dealers must be aware of the solution, that's the reason why PUMA measures exist.
Anyway I'll call them tomorrow to have more elements.
Thanks! I'll visit my dealer tomorrow to see what they know.

Taking mine in next Tuesday. Called two dealers and both had seen the PUMA notice, but neither had performed the update as of yet. Need to drop the bike off and leave it, as neither knew how long the update will take. They said it could take twenty minutes or four hours, so they didn’t want me waiting around and being disappointed by the wait time. Always a hassle to drop it off and get a ride home, but if this fix solves the whine, it will be fantastic!

I took my R18 Classic in for the 600 mile maintenance yesterday. It was bought in August. They said there were no recalls. I haven't had the whine.

It looks like there was a change to the R18 at some point with two versions. Go to their Installation Instructions page here https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/service/manuals/install-manual.html and select R Models, Heritage to see R18-OL11 and R18-OL13 and R18 Classic-OL21 and R18 Classic-OL23. I read somewhere that the second version came out in March 2021 (I might be wrong). Has anyone took a survey to see if those experiencing a whine had a manufacturing date prior to March 2021?

Tom

Yes, I got mine in 09/ 2020.
The update took 3 hours, according to the mecanic.
I also got mine on 11/2020 before the update. Coincidentally, I'm at the dealer right now and brought up the fuel pump whine. They never heard of it and he said nothing showed up in their BMW service database about it either. It may not have made it to the States yet but it would be helpful if we knew the exact PUMA number. At least the dealer admitted he could hear the whine when I started it up so he'll make a video of it.

My Dealer (in Maryland) is aware of the update. I brought my bike in around early July specifically for this fuel pump noise. At that time, the dealer hadn't heard of the issue, and a search of the BMW database turned up nothing. I went back in this weekend, and they had the PUMA reference. As discussed here, it's a software update. Specifically, the software update changes the rate at which the fuel pump feedback loop operates. It didn't specifically say so, but I inferred that there was some sort of resonance at the old loop update rate. In any case, the dealer is going to update the bikes on their floor so that they can understand how long it will take before having me in.

Back