Fuel Pump Whine

Hi All

Forgive me, I am not very mechanically minded, so I need some advice.

From about halfway through last week, I started noticing this rather loud whine when the engine is running - it's certainly not from the core engine itself (maybe fuel pump?). It's become so loud that I can hear it at pretty much all speeds up to 60 mph. It's easily reproducible to hear by itself - if I hit the starter button but let go immediately (so the engine cranks but doesn't start), the whine persists for a few seconds after the starter is done, then switches off.

I will post a video in a bit but wondering if anyone else has felt this?

Thanks!

So, what’s that? 5 known cases? That’s 5 too many. I’ll keep an ear out but haven’t heard anything as of 1100 miles. Are those who are hearing it wearing ear protection? I’m just wondering if I should take a spin without my plugs to confirm it’s absence.

So, what’s that? 5 known cases? That’s 5 too many. I’ll keep an ear out but haven’t heard anything as of 1100 miles. Are those who are hearing it wearing ear protection? I’m just wondering if I should take a spin without my plugs to confirm it’s absence.
You can try this without actually riding to check. Turn the motorcycle on, and push and immediately release the starter, so it cranks but doesn't start. Once the starter subsides, do you hear a whine for a few seconds before it goes silent?

I hear it through my helmet ,which is well insulated (Shoei) and my only ear protection.
When the noise is here, you can't miss it...
This up to 70 km/h.
After that of course the whine is covered by the wind/engine noise.

Last edited:
Hi Vikram, don't wonder,
I started the thread also in the German forum where I am user.
I hope we will find our solution to this problem faster.

If anyone is firm enough with this forum, he maybe start a separate threat about the whining noise.

Hi Vikram, don't wonder,
I started the thread also in the German forum where I am user.
I hope we will find our solution to this problem faster.

If anyone is firm enough with this forum, he maybe start a separate threat about the whining noise.
Here we are :)

I'll call my local dealer tomorrow morning.
I hope this trouble will result in a general call back of the R 18

No whine. When I do the brief-start-but-not-turn-over thing, I'm hearing what I think is the fuel pump. It's on for about half a second after each flick of the starter. For what it's worth, the sound I'm hearing is lower pitched than the demo whine sound in the other thread.

Because it's obviously a general concern wich needs a general solution...
Recalls are generally based on safety concerns.
The K1600s were recalled for a suspected transmission problem, yet no recall for water pump problems which were handled on a case by case basis.

I called the dealership this morning.
They aren't aware about this problem.
They are going to check with BMW France and I'll show them the bike soon.

Back home - no resolution. I can't tell if the ambient sound was too high (there is a freeway overpass right next to the building), or just my bad luck, but I could not hear (or demonstrate) the whine to the tech. Soon as I get on the bike and jump on the freeway, there it is again.

Anyway, they know about it and said bring it back if/when you like.

Back