Going to cut to the chase

looking for some opinions you guys as I have been unsuccessful with any assistance from my dealer. Please note, I’m not looking to “bash” my dealer, bmw, or anyone for that matter. I bought my bike to ride and as the ride quality with my existing tires is unacceptable, vibrations to the extreme, I’m unable to ride unless I buy new tires. I bought my bike 3 weeks ago.

My 2023 r18b has a build date of 9/22. The date codes on my Commander 3 Michelins are 9/20. While I understand about date codes and everything to do with safe or unsafe based on dates, I just don’t understand how tires could be installed in Germany that are already 2 years old…furthermore next month will make the tires on my 2023 bike 3 years old. My dealer after saying they submitted “a case” told me they not bmw are willing to do anything for me. Does this seem normal guys?

Last edited:
Personally that tyre build date wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. When I bought my bike ‘brand new’ it was physically two years old (as a 2020 leftover). Remember that was in the middle of the worldwide lockdown (Covid) so nothing was moving. Don’t see any reason for them not to use up tyre stocks when bike production fully resumes in 2022. The vibration on the other hand would be something of concern but you haven’t expanded upon exactly what the issues are. If I was the dealer I would not want to entertain a tyre swap on a 3 week old bike unless there was something really major going on because they are probably going to have to pay for it (not BMW).

Reactions: Vyk
Most tyres actually get better when they age a bit, the rubber softens a bit giving more grip and a smoother ride. (Assuming they were stored properly)
Not sure how they cause the vibrations you experience unless there is a clear wobble on then.

Reactions: Vyk
Would the vibrations be created by a flat spot due to the bike being stored on the same position for a lengthy period of time? These bikes are heavy.

Check these out and tell me what you think….
Btw, the pandemic actually resulted in tires getting on bikes and to dealers quicker, you can research this anyhow, 2 years from time of production till installed in Germany seems excessive, esp when Michelin gives these 6 years total, mine are two months shy of 3 years old on my 3 week old bike. Also not that EVERY other “new” bike on their floor including same R18 models and other dealerships the date code aren’t a year old. Anyhow, not blaming anyone for anything, simply would like a reasonable answer, what do you think of these pics. Michelin has a patent on the laser engraved sidewalls which are supposed to look like velvet on the commander 3’s please zoom

Attachments

• IMG_0059.png
    IMG_0059.png
    11.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0073.png
    IMG_0073.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0060.png
    IMG_0060.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0032.png
    IMG_0032.png
    10.1 MB · Views: 18
Don’t think you’ll find the answer you are looking for. Those tyres are on your bike and no one on here will be able to explain why. If there’s a problem and you’re not happy you’ll have to keep on at the dealership.

Always had Bridgestone on my bikes and never had an issue. Last bike was a M109R and saw 13K on them. My B also has the Battlecruiser on and so far so good but I only have 700mls on the bike so far.

looking for some opinions you guys as I have been unsuccessful with any assistance from my dealer. Please note, I’m not looking to “bash” my dealer, bmw, or anyone for that matter. I bought my bike to ride and as the ride quality with my existing tires is unacceptable, vibrations to the extreme, I’m unable to ride unless I buy new tires. I bought my bike 3 weeks ago.

My 2023 r18b has a build date of 9/22. The date codes on my Commander 3 Michelins are 9/20. While I understand about date codes and everything to do with safe or unsafe based on dates, I just don’t understand how tires could be installed in Germany that are already 2 years old…furthermore next month will make the tires on my 2023 bike 3 years old. My dealer after saying they submitted “a case” told me they not bmw are willing to do anything for me. Does this seem normal guys?
It's very hard to tell what the problem is, but I would be very surprised if the vibration was caused by new tires. In my opinion, this is extremely unlikely. I would first check if the wheels are properly balanced. These are spoked wheels and need to be carefully balanced.

It's very hard to tell what the problem is, but I would be very surprised if the vibration was caused by new tires. In my opinion, this is extremely unlikely. I would first check if the wheels are properly balanced. These are spoked wheels and need to be carefully balanced.
Unfortunately, there are indeed quite a few weiteups on the commander iii wobble.

Unfortunately, there are indeed quite a few weiteups on the commander iii wobble.
I’m a bit peeved that my dealer is offering zero assistance. I agree that it’s unlikely for a wobble or such poor ridability on new tires, however in Sept mine per date code are three years old. Which gets me to my original feelings about the situation….where were the tires for two years prior to bike build, my 2 bucks is wherever they were is the cause of the poor performance. Anyhow, probably just by some new shoes for the bike and be done with the issue, Cheers keep ‘em down!!!

Back