Hard starting

When it was new I couldn't get my thumb off the button fast enough. Now at 1900 miles it takes 2 to 3 revolutions to fire. After it starts it runs great. The dealer has no idea whats wrong and this is the first he's heard of this. Anybody else having this problem?

I'm on my second R18. I had the first one to about 1500 miles, no problems.

This second one, now at around 1500 miles, at cold starts, it'll crank over and over and over and won't start the first time. I have to stop the starter motor. Then try to start again. At which point it starts right up.

I've been meaning to take it in to the dealer to have it checked out.

This second one, now at around 1500 miles, at cold starts, it'll crank over and over and over and won't start the first time. I have to stop the starter motor. Then try to start again. At which point it starts right up.

Vyk, I have the same exact issue. I was initially annoyed but have now just gotten used to it.

I’m at 1500 miles and I have the same problem. It only started recently. Once it’s warm it’s fine.

Did you guys with problem tried to switch bike on and then off after 5-10 sec and on again and then try to crank? If that’s help and bike start, problem must to be in fuel pump or pressure regulator or something connected to working pressure in lines before injectors.
My 2 cents….

Did you guys with problem tried to switch bike on and then off after 5-10 sec and on again and then try to crank? If that’s help and bike start, problem must to be in fuel pump or pressure regulator or something connected to working pressure in lines before injectors.
My 2 cents….
I haven’t tried this but I will. I’ll also check the battery connections too. Thank you!

When I got the bike, I noticed the first four or five starts required an extra revolution. I assumed that was normal until it began starting on the first pop and has ever since.

My former R1200c would periodically require an extra rotation or sometimes 2 but the pattern was random.

I think that there are separate things that people are looking at. Mine does the same thing as David R's. It wants two tries. First try can crank several times with no start. Second time fires instantly always. I never really thought much about until this thread.

I once had a dealer come get my bike due to no start. Bad gas.

I would tend to agree with some folk and place the petrol as No1 suspect. I find E10 petrol poor and try to avoid it at all costs. It seems to go off really quickly and poor starting does not surprise me one bit.

I would tend to agree with some folk and place the petrol as No1 suspect. I find E10 petrol poor and try to avoid it at all costs. It seems to go off really quickly and poor starting does not surprise me one bit.
As I said, people are describing separate issues. Fuel is definitely not responsible for the issue of needing to do two start tries. It'll crank but not start on the first push, but start immediately every time on the second. So long it stays consistent, I don't really care, but it's definitely an ignition issue, not a fuel issue. Others of course may be having separate issues, but this one isn't fuel.

Back