Hattech Exhaust

€2300 for that!?! It looks like it was done in someone’s garage after a few pints. I am hoping that the real product will have a better look than that.
I'm not a fan of the look either, but that's what you get after TIG welding stainless steel, with purge gas in the pipe. A lot of the sportbike riders love that look. The discoloration can be buffed out to the same finish of the unwelded pipe if that's preferred.
As for the routing of the pipe and it's short length, UGH! IMHO it does not go with the beautiful motorcycle that it's installed on and it must be awfully LOUD.

From this grainy blow up photo. It looks pretty raw to me. I think welding would discolor the chrome. I reached out to the OP of this thread/photo and asked him for a better detailed image.

View attachment 169
Cut
End plates welded polished
Perfect result.
Great perfect sound. Not loud but strong.
would love to be able to have the original exhaust of the prototype.
we considered flattening the top and bottom veins but haven’t decided yet.
Trying to enjoy bike now that florida weather is good.

Attachments

• F15EAF8D-395B-4496-A0CD-477FA7774E08.jpeg
    F15EAF8D-395B-4496-A0CD-477FA7774E08.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 4CD38C88-0B61-4EC6-9C4C-056A67088C87.jpeg
    4CD38C88-0B61-4EC6-9C4C-056A67088C87.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • 7A9A6E24-E92E-4CBC-8949-C1BD3C0408A9.jpeg
    7A9A6E24-E92E-4CBC-8949-C1BD3C0408A9.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 47
  • AEE3BA80-0EB2-4E13-96AB-53188A82AC7A.jpeg
    AEE3BA80-0EB2-4E13-96AB-53188A82AC7A.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 46
I cloned two photos together for the exhaust I'd like to see. The front end is the production R18 and the rear section (exhaust) is the Concept R18.

View attachment 164
My home made exhaust. I conducted many tests to achieve raw correct combination of baffles, glass pack, steel pack straight through and achieved both the sound I wanted and the look that does not distract from one of the R18s unique features, the exposed driveshaft. Every person that has seen my bike commented on how they like the looks of the exposed driveshaft. See attached photo.

Attachments

• 2021:03:04-1.jpg
    2021:03:04-1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 49
Cut
End plates welded polished
Perfect result.
Great perfect sound. Not loud but strong.
would love to be able to have the original exhaust of the prototype.
we considered flattening the top and bottom veins but haven’t decided yet.
Trying to enjoy bike now that florida weather is good.
You do nice weldiing. Did you have any issues with copper plating under the chrome?

I just bought a set of the Hatttech side pipes (the ones pictured above). Am waiting for delivery. I’ve been searching for information on whether installing these pipes requires a tune, and looking all over for a compatible tune or fuel controller. So far I have not learned anything. I emailed Hattech but they did not respond. Does anyone know if I’m going to need a tune and, if so, where I can buy one?

It should tune its self.
It runs by O2 (Lambada) sensors.
Just my thoughts.
You will always get more from a fuel adjustment (controller) than a set of pipes.
In the old days, carburetors were fixed, so changing jets was the only way. Now the computer does it.
Even then , a good carb adjustment would make more power than any pipe or set of pipes.
David

It should tune its self.
It runs by O2 (Lambada) sensors.
Just my thoughts.
You will always get more from a fuel adjustment (controller) than a set of pipes.
In the old days, carburetors were fixed, so changing jets was the only way. Now the computer does it.
Even then , a good carb adjustment would make more power than any pipe or set of pipes.
David
A good "rule of thumb" answer to this age old question is if you're not messing with intake air or fuel or the cats, a simple muffler swap rarely effects the bike's running condition negatively to where it now requires a "tune" (getting the mix back just right). Note this question is usually answered by vendors and service departments in another way - because muffler change or not, tuning never hurts, because any of today's bikes will run cooler (and better) from a richer mix (more fuel at the expense of higher emissions); more importantly, that "other" answer ALWAYS provides a sale and a profit. Put the pipes on...leave the air box (and filter) alone and as David said it will (more than) likely be just fine! That said...once product is on the market a most excellent next step is eliminate the cats, by-pass the flaps, feed it more air and more fuel and get a compatible tune. The last part is the ONLY reason I miss carbs... increase the air, change the pilot jet, raise the needle, improve the slide spring, increase the main jet, increase the air, fine tune by reading the plugs and call it a day!

Last edited:
A good "rule of thumb" answer to this age old question is if you're not messing with intake air or fuel or the cats, a simple muffler swap rarely effects the bike's running condition negatively to where it now requires a "tune" (getting the mix back just right). Note this question is usually answered by vendors and service departments in another way - because muffler change or not, tuning never hurts, because any of today's bikes will run cooler (and better) from a richer mix (more fuel at the expense of higher emissions); more importantly, that "other" answer ALWAYS provides a sale and a profit. Put the pipes on...leave the air box (and filter) alone and as David said it will (more than) likely be just fine! That said...once product is on the market a most excellent next step is eliminate the cats, by-pass the flaps, feed it more air and more fuel and get a compatible tune. The last part is the ONLY reason I miss carbs... increase the air, change the pilot jet, raise the needle, improve the slide spring, increase the main jet, increase the air, fine tune by reading the plugs and call it a day!
The Hattech Sidepipes are not a muffler swap. They are larger diameter, much shorter, no cats and no flapper valve (they do ship with plugs to spoof the ECU so that you don’t get any error codes). They are “off road — exhibition use only.” Although, like I said, not loud enough to draw any unwanted attention. So I suspect that the motor may be running outside of, or at the ragged edge of the ECU’s ability to adjust. Either way, Bren tunes radically improve BMW performance even if you don’t change a thing. That’s experience talking. So it’s off to Massachusetts with my ride.

By the way, the R18 does NOT have two 02 sensors per side. The front ones are 02. The second ones behind the cats are (I think) temp sensors. They are part of the exhaust valve control. It is a very different component (I know this because I pulled them off on my bike a couple of days ago to install the Hattech Sidepipes — which are AWESOME).

The Hattech Sidepipes are not a muffler swap. They are larger diameter, much shorter, no cats and no flapper valve (they do ship with plugs to spoof the ECU so that you don’t get any error codes). They are “off road — exhibition use only.” Although, like I said, not loud enough to draw any unwanted attention. So I suspect that the motor may be running outside of, or at the ragged edge of the ECU’s ability to adjust. Either way, Bren tunes radically improve BMW performance even if you don’t change a thing. That’s experience talking. So it’s off to Massachusetts with my ride.
I know the pipes you're talking now...yep you probably need a tune! And regarding Bren tunes...I've never used them and will check them out. For FI tunes I've relied almost exclusively on Dynojet products, and some Rexxer. And yes, my experience is that any OEM bike these days, even without any front to back changes will run better and cooler with a decent tune.

Back