Helibars On Transcontinental

I received and installed the new Helibars for the TC and B. I must admit to being impressed with the improvement to comfort and handling. The installation wasn't too bad, but I sit here still in shock that a total of 42 bolts had to be removed! Keep in mind all of these bolts have to be removed to access the bar mounts. I have often heard the term "over engineered". I can now say that that term is real. Attaching some pictures. IMO the bars are well worth the expense. NOTE: You do have to replace the clutch and front break lines, which are included with the new bars. Not knowing what to expect when bleeding the new lines I did purchase some DOT4 for breaks and the BMW blue mineral oil-based clutch fluid to top off master cylinders.

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_081548765_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220918_081548765_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20220920_092314998_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220920_092314998_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 188
That was quite a project.
I repositioned the handlebars on my former GoldWing using the Helibar kit and liked the result.
Just for perspective Lloydw1, how tall are you?

Very interesting, thank you!

I would love to find a bar that'll allow the controls to be closer to me. Also, at full lock, the stock bar causes my outside arm to be super stretched. Hopefully more handlebar options will come out from various sources.

When I was at the BMW dealer and sat on a Transcontinental I thought the reach and position of the handlebars were perfect and asked if they could install a set on the R18 Classic. Apparently they are not interchangeable. The splines where the clamps go on are further apart on the TC. I asked Jon at Helibars if they were going to make some bars for the R18 and Classic that had a better reach. He said its on their radar and asked if I knew anyone that lived near Southern Maine, if they would like to lend their bike for research to develop them. Anyone interested can give him a ring, perhaps a free or heavily discounted set of bars may be doable.

I also asked it was possible to recut the splines on the TC's bars further inward for the clamps to fit, but didn't get an answer. I don't know if bars that are already pre-bent and formed could be mounted to a lathe to be recut or not. If so, then their may be a market for your original bars.

Reactions: Vyk
When I was at the BMW dealer and sat on a Transcontinental I thought the reach and position of the handlebars were perfect and asked if they could install a set on the R18 Classic. Apparently they are not interchangeable. The splines where the clamps go on are further apart on the TC. I asked Jon at Helibars if they were going to make some bars for the R18 and Classic that had a better reach. He said its on their radar and asked if I knew anyone that lived near Southern Maine, if they would like to lend their bike for research to develop them. Anyone interested can give him a ring, perhaps a free or heavily discounted set of bars may be doable.

I also asked it was possible to recut the splines on the TC's bars further inward for the clamps to fit, but didn't get an answer. I don't know if bars that are already pre-bent and formed could be mounted to a lathe to be recut or not. If so, then their may be a market for your original bars.

That's too far for me unfortunately. Maybe there is someone in that area who will forego riding and allow development during the winter months!

I received and installed the new Helibars for the TC and B. I must admit to being impressed with the improvement to comfort and handling. The installation wasn't too bad, but I sit here still in shock that a total of 42 bolts had to be removed! Keep in mind all of these bolts have to be removed to access the bar mounts. I have often heard the term "over engineered". I can now say that that term is real. Attaching some pictures. IMO the bars are well worth the expense. NOTE: You do have to replace the clutch and front break lines, which are included with the new bars. Not knowing what to expect when bleeding the new lines I did purchase some DOT4 for breaks and the BMW blue mineral oil-based clutch fluid to top off master cylinders.
What exhaust system is on your TC; it doesn't look like the BMW OEM stock exhaust? Below is what my OEM exhaust looks like:

1663838559559.png

1663838427213.png

What exhaust system is on your TC; it doesn't look like the BMW OEM stock exhaust? Below is what my OEM exhaust looks like:

View attachment 7163

View attachment 7162
My exhaust is Freedom Performance 4.5 inch with BugBike cat delete headers. The exhaust tips are for a diesel truck exhaust purchased on Amazon. The Freedom exhaust with their tips were too short as they are not meant for the TC or Bagger.

Last edited:
No kidding. Reminds me of the type of situation I found myself in with the GoldWing.

Hey Nobody, is there a chrome handle bar kit available at Heli bars?

How do you like the finish? I am waiting to see what the stainless steel version will look like.

I think this bar can solve my reach issue.

Hey Nobody, is there a chrome handle bar kit available at Heli bars?
As far as I know they only do the black powder coat. I dont believe they do anything in chrome but I could be wrong. You could always reach out to them and see, they are a relatively small co and seemingly have good customer service (I ordered my bars, they had them made to order 3 days later and on my door step a day after that)

How do you like the finish? I am waiting to see what the stainless steel version will look like.

I think this bar can solve my reach issue.
The powder coat is great. Since I got the B it came with the black motor and blacked out parts so these bars finish great with the bike. From my 30 second trip around the lot my arms and body position felt much better over factory. for reference im about 6 ft riding on factory high seat, these bars put the reach at the right height for the added seat height and back far enough that my posture is appropriate.

Just got my helibars for my B installed. Took it around my lot but haven't gotten a good ride yet. The install seems daunting but took me all of 3.5 hours including taking half of everything back off to readjust the bars. It is nice that they come with a ram ball mount (option) but the position puts it in field of view of the TFT (slightly)View attachment 7249View attachment 7250View attachment 7251View attachment 7252View attachment 7253View attachment 7254View attachment 7255
There is a Triumph parked nearby. I have always wondered what the side-by-side twin engine Triumph felt like. Anything peculiar about the ride on this bike?

There is a Triumph parked nearby. I have always wondered what the side-by-side twin engine Triumph felt like. Anything peculiar about the ride on this bike?
Lol I love my Triumphs, had a few twins and a few triples. They are much smoother than v twins. If you get the opportunity to get to a demo day, do it. Triumph makes some really nice bikes now.

Back