Help, I may have lost my mind ...

God help me! I have ZERO need for another bike, zip, zero, zilch, nada. But I'm a sucker for motorcycles, and have a particular weakness for bargains. I can buy a new fully loaded TC in Manhattan Metallic for a great price (with current incentives we all can right?). The purchase would put me at four bikes (my wife thinks I should only have one). For reference, my current stable includes an overbuilt 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700, that I use for adventure riding, and as an oversized dirt bike, a 2021 S1000XR that I use for sporty road riding and track days, and a R18 Classic FE that I use for short two-up hops and lazy Sunday rides. The R18 Transcontinental will be used for ... well touring. Truth is, any of the bikes I currently own can pull touring duty with varying degrees of comfort and efficiency, so I don't really need a bona-fide "road sofa".

If there is a question in this inane post it's this; If you have, or had, an R18/R18C, and now own an R18B or R18TC, do you find the ride "experience" to be materially different from the non-faired bike? While I feel the TC will be distinctly different from the R18C that I own, I also have a knack for justifying motorcycle purchases. I haven't demoed the R18TC. I live in Michigan and we've had snow on the ground since I've been seriously considering the bike. I suspect the Transcontinental values will fall as precipitously as the other R18 values have. Consequently, I won't be able to sell it without rendering a "pound of flesh", so the stakes feel relatively high.

Qualitative comparisons of the R18/C to the R18B/TC from other owners are much appreciated!

Last edited:
God help me! I have ZERO need for another bike, zip, zero, zilch, nada. But I'm a sucker for motorcycles, and have a particular weakness for bargains. I can buy a new fully loaded TC in Manhattan Metallic for a great price (with current incentives we all can right?). The purchase would put me at four bikes (my wife thinks I should only have one). For reference, my current stable includes an overbuilt 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700, that I use for adventure riding, and as an oversized dirt bike, a 2021 S1000XR that I use for sporty road riding and track days, and a R18 Classic FE that I use for short two-up hops and lazy Sunday rides. The R18 Transcontinental will be used for ... well touring. Truth is, any of the bikes I currently own can pull touring duty with varying degrees of comfort and efficiency, so I don't really need a bona-fide "road sofa".

If there is a question in this inane post it's this; If you have, or had, an R18/R18C, and now own an R18B or R18TC, do you find the ride "experience" to be materially different from the non-faired bike? While I feel the TC will be distinctly different from the R18C that I own, I also have a knack for justifying motorcycle purchases. I haven't demoed the R18TC. I live in Michigan and we've had snow on the ground since I've been seriously considering the bike. I suspect the Transcontinental values will fall as precipitously as the other R18 values have. Consequently, I won't be able to sell it without rendering a "pound of flesh", so the stakes feel relatively high.

Qualitative comparisons of the R18/C to the R18B/TC from other owners is much appreciated!
That is absolutely a great question. I have wondered about that myself. But having an RT for touring I never thought to ask. We do have some members that have both hopefully they will enlighten us. I also don’t see any problem owning four bikes, I have 15, so I have a worse addiction.

That is absolutely a great question. I have wondered about that myself. But having an RT for touring I never thought to ask. We do have some members that have both hopefully they will enlighten us. I also don’t see any problem owning four bikes, I have 15, so I have a worse addiction.
Fingers crossed R2K. Hopefully other members will "chime" in. For your part, 15 bikes is a commendable stable. Congrats! My bike count is hampered by budget and space. Can't imagine if I had the wherewithal and owned an airplane hanger!

I started with the Classic FE. Wife HATED riding passenger on it. The wind buffeting was terrible. For me too... Sold it and bought the TC in the same Manhattan color. Now we're both much happier. Wind protection is excellent, stock from the dealer. First bike I've ever had that I didn't have to get an aftermarket windshield! Plus, and this turns out to be HUGE for me, the TC has better ground clearance. On the occasions where I have to trailer my bike somewhere, it makes it vastly easier to get the bike on the trailer. The FE would drag on the junction between the gate and the trailer floor.

I have a R18FE cruiser, and a R18TC. I traded a 2020 R1250RT for the TC, and never looked back. The TC is way different than the FE. From seating comfort, leg room, fairing, ride, etc...Get the TC! It is a great bike for 2 up touring or just riding around. I have had the TC for approx 9 months and have 8k on it, and the FE for 12 months, and 6,500 miles on it. Both are great, but the TC, is waaaayy better imo.

Hola, tengo la clasic y la TContinental. Voy vender la clasic, ya casi no la uso., me he enamorado de la continental.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221222_130729_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221222_130729_Photos.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20221018_154033_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018_154033_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 22

Qualitative comparisons of the R18/C to the R18B/TC from other owners is much appreciated!
Trading in the R18C would be a sane move if you pruchase the TC.
I get having a stable of horses but 2 with the same engine,not so much because you will not be riding the C very much.Your garage sounds diversified.Maybe keep it that way with the TC.
My Indian has Tour Trunk,lowers,heated/cooled seat and has twice the suspension than the my R18C.Really a wonderful bike.Similar to the BMW w/2 cylinder,push rod air/oil cooled engine.But totally different to ride.

I get having a stable of horses but 2 with the same engine,not so much because you will not be riding the C very much.Your garage sounds diversified.Maybe keep it that way with the TC.
My Indian has Tour Trunk,lowers,heated/cooled seat and has twice the suspension than the my R18C.Really a wonderful bike.Similar to the BMW w/2 cylinder,push rod air/oil cooled engine.But totally different to ride.
Agreed. Diversification of rides is most important in justifying multiple bikes.

Currently still owned and still ridden on rotation by me

1997 Harley Fatboy Evo engine ( air cooled Vibrates like a paint can shaker)
2002 Harley V Rod Revolution engine ( water cooled rubber mounted & counter balanced PORSCHE design with high revs)
2009 Harley Rocker Twin Cam engine ( Counterbalnced with super stiff CHOPPER style frame)
2016 Ducati Xdiavel ( 150HP rocket single sided swingarm)
2020 Honda Monkey ( 125cc pocket bike- I wear a monkey head mask when riding.)
2021 BMW R18 ( NO explanation needed)
2022 Ducati SuperSport ( always wanted a sport bike)

two of the same that are only slightly different are hard to justify.....even with Harley's.

Advice to TCClassic:
I have an HD RoadGlide Special and a BMW R18TC. The wind deflection on the TC is the best of any touring bike ever. I'm an older guy and no longer like wind whip, but in cold weather I can ride the TC. Not true of the RoadGlide.

Agreed. Diversification of rides is most important in justifying multiple bikes.

Currently still owned and still ridden on rotation by me

1997 Harley Fatboy Evo engine ( air cooled Vibrates like a paint can shaker)
2002 Harley V Rod Revolution engine ( water cooled rubber mounted & counter balanced PORSCHE design with high revs)
2009 Harley Rocker Twin Cam engine ( Counterbalnced with super stiff CHOPPER style frame)
2016 Ducati Xdiavel ( 150HP rocket single sided swingarm)
2020 Honda Monkey ( 125cc pocket bike- I wear a monkey head mask when riding.)
2021 BMW R18 ( NO explanation needed)
2022 Ducati SuperSport ( always wanted a sport bike)

two of the same that are only slightly different are hard to justify.....even with Harley's.
I would LOVE to have a Ducati 1098 Panigale. Or at least, to ride one once. Or a Norton Commando 850, if I could find one

Totally agree. My preference would have been to trade the R18C on the Transcontinental. However, the trade number is gut wrenching. I took advantage of the .9% financing when I bought the R18C and still have a loan on the bike. While I know the purchase is a sunk cost, I would have to write a check for the negative equity; which mitigates the "bargain" of the TC deal. Unfortunately, I don't believe I'll fare much better selling the R18C on my own; especially if we slump into the recession that's promised. While I suspect I would enjoy the TC much more than the R18C, there IS a lot of overlap between the two bikes. Since there is no good exit strategy for the R18C, I'm going to pass on the TC and continue to enjoy my R18C.

It's tough having to struggle through these "first world" challenges! I appreciate everyones help thinking through things!

Back