Help, I may have lost my mind ...

Not sure .. that's brother Les .. origins mostly unknown 😁

EDIT: Oh hell .. now that you mention it ... you did say Indian not Victory ... damn I should quit posting drunk ... thanks for the nudge ;)
Hey,anyone that ownes a Shovel Head is a friend of mine:)

yup...riding a shovel head in the summer time on the freeway, the sound was music !!

Back 35 yrs ago with no traffic.
You got it Bro.Nothing sounds like a Shovel Head.Best sounding bike HD ever made.My first new(& first year 1980) HD was the TourGlide with 5 speed and inclosed final drive chain(oil bath).It was adjusted maybe 1 time after the initial 500 mile service.
I bought a all black and my buddy bought a all Red(kinda Pink,really pretty).
We knocked out the spot welds on the end of the muffler which eliminated about 1/2 - 3/4 of the baffle.Dropped a S&S carb on her and no other mods.
50 mpg riding 70mph and she would pull the front wheel in 2nd gear.
Loved that bike.

Maybe you could share your lesson learned on not covering the bike while stored. I have all my bike covered in storage with indoor light breathing fabric covers. I would hate to think I am causing them damage. My storage is also climate controlled.
View attachment 8605
Fine dust is sharp, not too bothered by gravity (meaning that it will rise as readily as it will fall), easily electrostatically charged, hygroscopic, will stick to anything and WILL get in everywhere. One day I noticed that my Vmax's matte grey paintwork seemed to have acquired some shinier edges. Those turned out to be the exact same edges its bike cover would bear on during storage and when adjusting (fitting and removing) the cover. I looked at my other rides and noticed that similar chromed 'cover support points' seemed to feature more fine 'anomalies' than seemed reasonable. That was about six years ago. I have not laid a cover on any of my rides since - these ranged from light fabrics (KTMs and Ducatis) to a heavy 'quilt' (Indian). I have repainted the Vmax.

Also, every time you wash a cover, it will be slightly less free-breathing as the fabric starts fraying and deteriorating ever so slightly - leading to another frequently reported issue; microclimate corrosion. And it is impossible to remove dust embedded in the fabric totally.

If 6 bar (90 psi) dry compressed air will not lift dust from any location on the bike, it clearly is time to wash, polish and wax it again - maybe twice a year at most.

It should be possible to pressurize a climate-controlled building like yours; very effective in keeping dust out and completely negating any reason to cover all the stunning rides there. One hell of a place that - man cavern rather than man cave (-: Top Job!

Christ! you have a way of boiling things down to a point R18... but, I still prefer 'Uschi' (my R18) over my road-brothers Indian ... but thats just me ;)

View attachment 8606
I’d considered an Indian and Harley before I got my R18C. The Indian handled better than the Harley, but both had my butt hurting in 15-20 minutes from the feet forward setup. At 6’4”, all the pressure was on my tailbone and I was leaning back with the handlebars having such pull back. The R18 was much more comfortable for me.

Maybe you could share your lesson learned on not covering the bike while stored. I have all my bike covered in storage with indoor light breathing fabric covers. I would hate to think I am causing them damage. My storage is also climate controlled.
View attachment 8605
Is that an AIRSTREAM Interstate on the left..?

You got it Bro.Nothing sounds like a Shovel Head.Best sounding bike HD ever made.My first new(& first year 1980) HD was the TourGlide with 5 speed and inclosed final drive chain(oil bath).It was adjusted maybe 1 time after the initial 500 mile service.
I bought a all black and my buddy bought a all Red(kinda Pink,really pretty).
We knocked out the spot welds on the end of the muffler which eliminated about 1/2 - 3/4 of the baffle.Dropped a S&S carb on her and no other mods.
50 mpg riding 70mph and she would pull the front wheel in 2nd gear.
Loved that bike.
1st HD was 1979 Sportster(had for 8 months) then got the 1979 80 cubic Low Rider - Whoo that was a Huge motor back then, but always put the S&S carb on all my HD's and changed the exhaust(1st thing that was done),
changed the rear sprocket on the Low Rider to a 51 tooth I believe because of less vibration when going 75-80 mph and I put a kick start on it too.
Boy... those where the days...Fun..Fun..Fun !
Lucky to have survived those days.

Last edited:
Fine dust is sharp, not too bothered by gravity (meaning that it will rise as readily as it will fall), easily electrostatically charged, hygroscopic, will stick to anything and WILL get in everywhere. One day I noticed that my Vmax's matte grey paintwork seemed to have acquired some shinier edges. Those turned out to be the exact same edges its bike cover would bear on during storage and when adjusting (fitting and removing) the cover. I looked at my other rides and noticed that similar chromed 'cover support points' seemed to feature more fine 'anomalies' than seemed reasonable. That was about six years ago. I have not laid a cover on any of my rides since - these ranged from light fabrics (KTMs and Ducatis) to a heavy 'quilt' (Indian). I have repainted the Vmax.

Also, every time you wash a cover, it will be slightly less free-breathing as the fabric starts fraying and deteriorating ever so slightly - leading to another frequently reported issue; microclimate corrosion. And it is impossible to remove dust embedded in the fabric totally.

If 6 bar (90 psi) dry compressed air will not lift dust from any location on the bike, it clearly is time to wash, polish and wax it again - maybe twice a year at most.

It should be possible to pressurize a climate-controlled building like yours; very effective in keeping dust out and completely negating any reason to cover all the stunning rides there. One hell of a place that - man cavern rather than man cave (-: Top Job!
Thank you for the explanation and the compliments

nope Roadtrek Adventurous CS Sprinter 1600 Chassis View attachment 8617

Nice setup.. I would on occasion pack-up the GS Adventure on cross-country trips in our AIRSTREAM Interstate; the loading and unloading of the bike onto & off of the Mighty Hauler 1000M took a little more work than what it was worth - but it got the job done for the little time that I actually got to go out and get some riding in..

1673684210615.png

1673684032714.png

Scott,
That is really cool, I have no idea how you haul a bike like that, sure looks complicated. Have you or will you try a trailer? I did watch a video of the mighty hauler . did not realize it is hydraulic what did you find was so difficult about it? Did it Get really dirty back there?

Last edited:
Scott,
That is really cool, I have no idea how you haul a bike like that, sure looks complicated. Have you or will you try a trailer? I did watch a video of the mighty hauler . did not realize it is hydraulic what did you find was so difficult about it? Did it Get really dirty back there?
I had the Mighty Hauler 1000M, where the "M" stood for Manual hydraulic pump; however, they do offer an electric-hydraulic model. Loading the bike was a little tricky; I'd recommend purchasing the kickstand plate, this will help land the kickstand once you roll the bike up onto the carrier. The carrier sits slightly higher than ground level, which makes the bike want to lean quite a bit further than what is normal; the ratchet-strap system can help to upright the bike from that position - but in short, buy the platform accessory - so much easier..

Yes, the bike can get pretty dirty back there, and all it takes is some wet roads from rain; a bike cover helps a bunch in reducing the grime.. If I was to take the R18 B, it would have to be trailered due to the weight..

The hitch, as well as the frame anchor bolts and support plates needed to be reinforced to support the additional tongue weight; the bike carrier alone is 260+ lbs. + Bike wet weight

Last edited by a moderator:
Back