How do I turn off the fuel reserve screen?

I have had my low fuel warning clear itself a few times, but usually it will not clear no matter what I try to do. My dealer service Writer tells me the First Edition will not allow me to clear the display ??? and yet my bike has cleared itself twice now ????

I have had my low fuel warning clear itself a few times, but usually it will not clear no matter what I try to do. My dealer service Writer tells me the First Edition will not allow me to clear the display ??? and yet my bike has cleared itself twice now ????
There are 2 things that appear on the R18 cruiser models when they hit the low fuel. First a low fuel light appears as one of the idiot lights in the middle of the speedometer. The other is the miles since reserve indicator in the text area at the bottom of the speedometer.

Are you referring to clearing he miles since reserve indicator or the low fuel idiot light? The miles since reserve screen can be switched to something else simply by using the normal menu button. On my bike, the low fuel light doesn’t come back on after refueling.

The count-up mechanism for a reserve is perfectly adequate by my reckoning, based on the restrictions for display options. But yup it certainly would be helpful know the level before it gets to that point as sometimes it can be a bit inconvenient hitting reserve by surprise.
I’d like to meet the engineer that thought a count up reserve was a good idea. 🤬
If they counted it down and were slightly off. you'd be upset with them for running out of gas. By counting up they put the onus on you to make the decision of how far to push it.

Nope. Still not convinced. I’ve done a lot of stupid things on motorcycles, but I can’t count running out of fuel -ever- as one of them.

Nope. Still not convinced. I’ve done a lot of stupid things on motorcycles, but I can’t count running out of fuel -ever- as one of them.
Only time I've ever run out of fuel on a motorcycle was because the fuel gauge said I had fuel when I didn't. I'd always used the tripmeter method before then, but figured, hey its got a gauge so I'll trust that. Never again. I've ridden many bikes with gauges, none of them are accurate. I'd rather not have a fuel gauge than being lulled into a false sense of security that they are accurate.

Y’all are not going to convince me! 😉 No count down? No problem … throw a warning light and let me use the tripmeter without changing the display. Why would I care how many miles I have traveled before walking? It is just a distraction. BTW, just curious: what other manufacturer(s) use the count up?
Not sure when this became all about you, but that said, your post has been asked and answerd several times. We get it, you don’t get it, we got it.

Idiot light: Many have stated that those can work only if you have noted when they come on. Apparently many crazy and insane riders have stated that they are not staring at the display all the time and miss the light coming on. Shame on them.

A distraction : you need to ride in more interesting places.

What other manufacturers? Again asked and answered at least a few times within the thread.

• Saturday at 11:22 AM
  • Y’all are not going to convince me! 😉 No count down? No problem … throw a warning light and let me use the tripmeter without changing the display. Why would I care how many miles I have traveled before walking? It is just a distraction. BTW, just curious: what other manufacturer(s) use the count up?
Not sure when this became all about you, but that said, your post has been asked and answerd several times. We get it, you don’t get it, we got it.

Idiot light: Many have stated that those can work only if you have noted when they come on. Apparently many crazy and insane riders have stated that they are not staring at the display all the time and miss the light coming on. Shame on them.

A distraction : you need to ride in more interesting places.

What other manufacturers? Again asked and answered at least a few times within the thread.

Wow! You do know that you are quoting my second post in this thread from Saturday? The first one when I asked anything? Why the personal attack?

• Saturday at 11:22 AM
  • Y’all are not going to convince me! 😉 No count down? No problem … throw a warning light and let me use the tripmeter without changing the display. Why would I care how many miles I have traveled before walking? It is just a distraction. BTW, just curious: what other manufacturer(s) use the count up?

Wow! You do know that you are quoting my second post in this thread from Saturday? The first one when I asked anything? Why the personal attack?
Wasn’t meant to be an attack. Sorry. You expressed concerns/questions and wonderments in your first post and I quoted it. Your questions were answered by several folks along the way. Since then it seems you are trying to pretty hard to defend not being convinced of something.

Regardless, ride on everyone.

Last edited:
I was initially put off by the count up feature...mainly because I just found it weird. I have to admit though that I have grown to find it useful. Even though I do always notice when the light comes on, and I certainly can do the math, I find it nice to be able to see that screen. I use 25 miles as the number to shoot for (gives 3dB margin). I also always set the trip meter, so there are multiple ways to cross check, but I find it convenient (or at least comforting).

Back