How hard have you ridden?

Folo

Morning everyone!

My recent BMW bike night had me gunning after riders with K1600s, S1000XRs, 1250s etc on the highway. Past 80mph I'd feel like the bike doesn't like it. Granted, it'll hit 100 easy but I don't think these were made for sustained speed like that.

How hard have you guys pushed your R18s?

110 km/h is the limit for a relaxed travel. In my opinion, more than that start to shake and feel the wind in a uncomfortable way (R18 FE)

Not really a top speed bike... The Harley guys you see doing 100mph+ usually are rolling Brembo upgrades, Ohlins, etc, 800+lb bike realy should go too far past 100-110 for any length of time... If you want to cruise at 120 - try a Hayabusa, LOL

and honestly, a 1250 shouldn't be doing it either... too high to be safe at that speed... the RR is soooo nice at 140+ thought!!!

The Harley guys are probably using highway cams but even then they are probably wringing their necks cruising at 95mph. I'd love to try the RR but think it might be too small for me.

I must say that before having the Brentune added, my bike was pretty lumpy and vibrated quite a lot at speeds above 80mph, Since adding the tune, It runs so much better and is still smooth above 110mph. I agree that these bikes aren't intended for really high speed riding, but in my case, it is smooth at speed.

I must say that before having the Brentune added, my bike was pretty lumpy and vibrated quite a lot at speeds above 80mph, Since adding the tune, It runs so much better and is still smooth above 110mph. I agree that these bikes aren't intended for really high speed riding, but in my case, it is smooth at speed.
So how has your bren tune been? First time inquiring but I've noticed the threads.. seems to be a big deal!

123 mph... briefly because I ran out of road. My FE is very smooth and I have no problems with vibrations at any engine speed. I have no windshield as that is my preference. I tend to ride between 80-90 on interstates and I really doubt there's any problem with the machine doing that all day long -- we're talking around 3,000 rpm and that is no push for that motor. Personally, I feel the sweet spot is between 2,500 and 3,000 anyway and I will get 40 mpg all day long there. Absolutely love this bike and I graduated from an H-D Lowrider 1,600 cc. My Lowrider gave me a lot of wind resistance above 80 mph and that became intolerable around 90 and almost dangerous when trying to pass semis. When I test rode my FE, it was the first thing I was looking for to be different and it was -- just hardly any wind pushing me back at 90 mph. Now, semis don't move me at all; the bike just tracks a beautiful line without wavering.

123 mph... briefly because I ran out of road. My FE is very smooth and I have no problems with vibrations at any engine speed. I have no windshield as that is my preference. I tend to ride between 80-90 on interstates and I really doubt there's any problem with the machine doing that all day long -- we're talking around 3,000 rpm and that is no push for that motor. Personally, I feel the sweet spot is between 2,500 and 3,000 anyway and I will get 40 mpg all day long there. Absolutely love this bike and I graduated from an H-D Lowrider 1,600 cc. My Lowrider gave me a lot of wind resistance above 80 mph and that became intolerable around 90 and almost dangerous when trying to pass semis. When I test rode my FE, it was the first thing I was looking for to be different and it was -- just hardly any wind pushing me back at 90 mph. Now, semis don't move me at all; the bike just tracks a beautiful line without wavering.
My results are a match with yours, no problems riding 80 to 90 mph all day, engine is not even HOT at those speeds.....

My results are a match with yours, no problems riding 80 to 90 mph all day, engine is not even HOT at those speeds.....
Past 80mph do you get a high frequency buzz? I get it at the end of my seat (weekender touring seat) that makes me scooch forward or least take the weight off the lumbar support area.

Past 80mph do you get a high frequency buzz? I get it at the end of my seat (weekender touring seat) that makes me scooch forward or least take the weight off the lumbar support area.
I didnt notice it but test drives youre usually paying attention to bigger issues or potential bigger issues.

In my opinion the engine will handle the kind of speeds Folo speaks of. I do not believe the engine screams at all, perhaps you have a helmet which whistles? Like you though, man, my head is wiggling around and it is very unpleasant. I have friends with faster machines. We depart at the same time, but I get there a little later than my pals. All those crotch and corner rockets, man, folks just pass on by. They walk over to see the head turning Beemer!

Back