How to connect Navi to 12volt

I think it is on a relay, I can hear it click at the same time my driving lights go out.
SUNUVAGUN. It may be that my partial hearing loss keeps me from hearing the relay. Thanks, HF. But now I'm wondering why the OEM would program a delay such that power shuts down on the accessory power source after killing the ignition.

SUNUVAGUN. It may be that my partial hearing loss keeps me from hearing the relay. Thanks, HF. But now I'm wondering why the OEM would program a delay such that power shuts down on the accessory power source after killing the ignition.
I think I read in the manual the accessories are shut off this way to protect the battery from going dead if you as a human forget.

Here is a simple way I gained an additional 12volt plug. Under the RIGHT. side cover, use the positive jumper post with the red cap on top. Goes straight to the battery. You can ground to the frame immediately next to it as I did. I used a pre-made 18” wire with terminal rings on on end and a SAE plug on the other.

Danger! If necessary, ADD an inline fuse immediately to your positive wire if one doesn’t exist. Mine is hidden behind the frame, but it’s there. I like an extra SAE plug near the seat for heated clothing, so mine is a short wire that goes to an SAE plug tucked under the seat front. Then I then ran another longer extension up to the front.

It’s quick and easy and I make no intrusion into the canbus system. But it’s hot all the time, which some riders don’t care for.

Attachments

• 89B61E92-8214-47AF-9419-D05FD6F504FF.jpeg
    89B61E92-8214-47AF-9419-D05FD6F504FF.jpeg
    854.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 83811632-6B7A-4F85-B671-F57F738CFCEF.jpeg
    83811632-6B7A-4F85-B671-F57F738CFCEF.jpeg
    750.4 KB · Views: 61
I power my Tomtom Rider off of a switched accessories connector under the left side cover.
Where is this switched accessories connector you're referring to? What does it look like? It would be so much easier if you posted a picture of the connector.
Too much to ask?
I bought an additional bracket the GPS mounts on, and a hard wire motorcycle power cable for the Zumo XT so I can use the GPS between my two bikes.
Waiting for your expert visual advice.

Last edited:
I power my Tomtom Rider off of a switched accessories connector under the left side cover.
Hey, Mucker, I did reply to your post sometime ago asking kindly for a picture of the connector you were talking about and I got nothing but silence.
What happened? Has the cat got your tongue?

Hey, Mucker, I did reply to your post sometime ago asking kindly for a picture of the connector you were talking about and I got nothing but silence.
What happened? Has the cat got your tongue?
PM sent

So I am in the process of finalizing adding a sound system permanently to my bike. I need an accessory wire that is off when the bike is off to tap into. What wire do you folks use?
Is there a recommended wire to tap so as not to interfere with the systems electrical? Will the accessory port work, if so, which or either of the two wires should I tap into? I tapped into positive and grounded the way stated above. Now I just need a keyed wire to tap into. Please advise!

So I am in the process of finalizing adding a sound system permanently to my bike. I need an accessory wire that is off when the bike is off to tap into. What wire do you folks use?
Is there a recommended wire to tap so as not to interfere with the systems electrical? Will the accessory port work, if so, which or either of the two wires should I tap into? I tapped into positive and grounded the way stated above. Now I just need a keyed wire to tap into. Please advise!
It will work and not interfere with the CanBus system. The brown wire is ground the other is 12 volt positive. It will remain on for a few minutes after the ignition is switched off by design.

Worked perfectly. It is now permanently wired in....Thanks a bunch. And for the R18/R18 Classic, I highly recommend the Kuryakyn 2720 Thunder.....I found it for $350 on walmart the other week....Now its in the $400s.... Very decent sound......Now, my I just need to add my OEM crashbars and driver leg rests this week and I am golden. Waited 13 months but they FINALLY CAME IN.

Just wired in TomTom nav. Nav wires go to oem switched aux plug already fitted under LHS cowl inside the battery cover. 3 pin female connector on the bike (only 2 wires used) plugs into BMW supplied “repair plug”. See photos. Super easy.

Attachments

• 4C39C1CF-EA27-4F41-A994-BEC66C058D6A.jpeg
    4C39C1CF-EA27-4F41-A994-BEC66C058D6A.jpeg
    14.7 KB · Views: 33
Just wired in TomTom nav. Nav wires go to oem switched aux plug already fitted under LHS cowl inside the battery cover. 3 pin female connector on the bike (only 2 wires used) plugs into BMW supplied “repair plug”. See photos. Super easy.
I did send you a private message yesterday.

Back