How to connect Navi to 12volt

kils

Site Supporter
I have a navigation system a tomtom that I would like to connect to my handlebars left side. Is there somewhere near my handlebars a 12volts cable to which I could easily connect the tomtom. Or is the only option directly to the battery. Or does someone have a better idea to connect the tomtom to 12 volts.

I also use a Tomtom GPS. I ran power & ground from the unused source under the LH side cover, under the gas tank, to the front. It works great! When I'm not using the GPS, I just tuck the Tomtom connector down below the speedo.

I know that plug, but I want to keep it free, I would like to connect my tomtom holder directly to 12 volts, possibly via the contact so that it switches off and on when the contact motor is turned on. Mucker can you show me a picture how you fixed it?

To my knowledge, I don't think that anyone has found the matching male plugs for the 2-wire, 3-contact (1 unused) pigtail or the 2-wire pigtail connected to the battery under the LH side cover. But anyone with a little bit of talent and a soldering iron can tap into the two wires and run power wherever you want it. That's what I did.
The big DIN port, with the spring loaded cover that the Optimate charger plugs into might be an option to power accessories, but IMHO it's just too big and exposed to power things like cell phones and GPS. I prefer to power such things inconspicuously.

Last edited:
I have a navigation system a tomtom that I would like to connect to my handlebars left side. Is there somewhere near my handlebars a 12volts cable to which I could easily connect the tomtom. Or is the only option directly to the battery. Or does someone have a better idea to connect the tomtom to 12 volts.
There is an open 2 wire connector under the tank that comes on when the bike is started. Be careful of the fuel line connector from the tank to the top of the engine, it is plastic. You must remove two top engine covers to see the connector.

There is an open 2 wire connector under the tank that comes on when the bike is started. Be careful of the fuel line connector from the tank to the top of the engine, it is plastic. You must remove two top engine covers to see the connector.
Can you give us a picture? Pretty please

I have the top engine covers off but I don't see the connector you are talking about. If you could provide a picture that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Just ordered a Tomtom Rider 550. I'd love to see photos of the electrical connections/installation, if anyone cares to oblige. Any luck finding the connector under the tank?

Just ordered a Tomtom Rider 550. I'd love to see photos of the electrical connections/installation, if anyone cares to oblige. Any luck finding the connector under the tank?
I power my Tomtom Rider off of a switched accessories connector under the left side cover.

No luck finding the connector under the tank. I spliced into the connector under the left side panel for m driving lights.
The 2-wire, 3-contact (1 unused) pigtail connected to the battery under the LH side cover is always on (or am I wrong?), this is the only one that I can see, I would like to have a connector that turns on when the contact motor is turned on only.

Back