I gave up motorcycles years ago - Am I crazy to think about riding again?

lencap

Greetings!

A few years ago I turned 70, deciding that after many decades of riding without incident it was time to move on. Over those years I owned everything from Ducati 916 and MV Agusta to many Japanese brands, Harleys and 7 different. BMWS. There were over 2 dozen motorcycles in all, nearly a dozen motorcycle safety classes, track days, and other trainings.

Since giving up riding I’ve missed it at times, but not enough to overcome 4 surgeries and the overhang from those events. Tonight I browsed my local BMW dealer’s website, and he has a 2021 Founders Edition on the showroom floor with 5K miles that he’ll let me have at a very good price.

Ordinarily I’d not reconsider, but I test rode the same model just after it came out and liked it. I’m 5’7”, but I’ve ridden a long time and was comfortable that I could handle the bike well. The issue is the weight, my age, and Father Time‘s impact on my body.

Rationally I know I should smile at the happy memories of riding and just move on. Yet, for some reason I’m still interested. My wife thinks I’m crazy, and I really can’t argue that she has lots of valid reasons for her concern.

So, here I am on a BMW R18 forum asking your thoughts about ”How do I move on, or should I give it one more try with the R18?”

I know the logical answer, but I need some “closure” to put this behind me once and for all.

What say thee?

If you can afford it financially, I say go for it! Live the rest of your days enjoying yourself. As long as your wife is cool with it. Another option, find a long-term rental and recheck your feelings after some seat time. You might find a really good deal on a used R18. Good luck and I would say GO FOR IT!!!

Do what you love. If it is do-able, you will.find a way to do it.
I'm only 65 but I cannot (well, I try not to) imagine the time when I will need to give up my bikes, though I do know that time is coming & I have thought about it.
That being said, sometimes I get the urge to do things that I had stopped doing because of my degrading physical abilities. And some of those times, I just take the bull by the horns and ride it, just to remind myself that I don't want to do that any longer!
Please, do what puts a smile on your face. If you can do it, you should do it, even if it's just to get the monkey off your back. Of course, you may find out that it's a pretty good monkey to have around!

There are a lot of things to consider i,m older than you and i own a R18 Classic , i booked a good two hour test ride , its a heavy bike yes but the weight distribution when moving is very good with it being low , also it would be awkward to move around in a tight space , but if you use the reverse gear it helps a lot , another thing to be aware of is in reverse it seems pretty fast and can catch you out on gravel etc , well hope that helps only you can make the decision , best of luck my friend .

At some point in my life, I jumped off of the two DUCATI bikes, and onto a GS Adventure as I felt my age catching up with me. More recently, now in my mid 50s; I wanted something a little lower and had all of the creature-comforts (heated seat & grips, navigation, sound system, wind protection and MOST IMPORTANTLY - two flat feet on the ground).

My next bike was going to either be the HD Road Glide ST or Street Glide ST; that was, until I saw the R18 B.

I hope I'm still active enough in my seventies and beyond, that I'm still able to do the things I love to do; I definitely see myself riding my R18 B on lazy weekends... and will most likely pass it down to one of my boys, like an old classic car when it becomes too much for me to ride..

For what it's worth.. my wife is still waiting for me to get out of my "forever 17" mindset.. 😂

Last edited:
Do it...... what could posibly go wrong..... the older you are the easier it is to just plead the 5th.....

And.... why put limits on oneself ("one more try"..... to hell with it..... keep trying 'till lights out.... or maybe.... "wife going")

I appreciate the encouragement and enthusiasm. Over the nearly 50 years I had been riding I made my wife a promise that I would "wear all the gear all the time", and also I would take motorcycle safety training, or some other type of training, at least every three years. She had safety concerns, and I was happy to oblige them with constant training. The reason I hadn't returned, especially after my surgeries, is because my body simply can't do what it had done in the past. I am not as mobile, don't have the flexibility, and other ailments that can impede my ability to control a motorcycle.

I'm aware that over the last few years my ability to handle a large machine like the R18 is something I need to fully explore. I appreciate the comment about low speed handling and weight, which I noticed on my test drive years ago when it was introduced. Does anyone have experience with riding the R18 after surgery and with the challenges of a senior citizen's body? My local dealer agrees that I technically fit on it, but suggested something closer to a R-Nine-T in size/weight.

I don’t think it’s crazy that you want to continue riding in the 70’s however I can understand your wife’s & family concern. I think the local dealer is correct on considering the R-Nine-T due it size/weight. I truly think weight of the bike will be the deciding factor. Good luck & keep us posted on your decision.

Regarding the weight (for me) the only issue I have is getting mine in & out of the garage because it’s tight and across gravel. On the open road it’s as easy as pie to ride and 99% of the time you can choose exactly where you ride it, park it etc so shouldn’t put yourself into an awkward position and have to struggle with it. I use the reverse function getting out of the garage every time, it works a treat and once you’ve done it a few times feels very intuitive, very direct/mechanical. They even have hill start assist if you want to use that and last but not least it’s by far the most balanced bike I’ve ever ridden.

I had a RnineT Racer in 2018 and test rode the original RnineT some time ago. Nice bikes but I find the R18 a much more roomy and open riding position, less scrunched up, a very different experience. Wish you well with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
When I met my wife I rode motorcycles and I was very clear upfront in the beginning that motorcycles were in my blood. That I was intending to spend all my extra time energy and money on motorcycles and that the reason I was working was so that I could retire as soon as possible so that I could ride all day every day. 🤣 She was cool with that and I knew she was a keeper! She has been nothing but supportive and encouraging about my love of motorcycles. If you have the approval of your wife I say absolutely without a doubt go for it. Enjoy riding it. Worst case scenario the FE is a gorgeous bike. Move it into the living room as a center piece. 👍🏼

I’m on my way to 59 with a body that seems to be rapidly wearing out. My intent with my (second) R18 purchase was to have the perfect sidecar donor when the time came to give up two wheels. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy it. Go for it.

I had the R-NineT/5 fully optioned with everything, including BMW GPS. Beautiful machine, and great size. But there is something about the R18 that seems special, making the ride an “occasion”. I admit I had issues with the weight on the test ride, including getting the bike off the side stand. My concern isn’t everyday riding - it’s emergency situations. Making a sharp unexpected turn, handling a 135 degree blind turn going up/down mountain road, swerving around inattentive drivers, etc. Over 50 years of riding I’ve had all that and more happen more than once. I’ve also had 4 rotator surgeries, two per arm, and 13 overall. Lots of internal scar tissue that makes me far less flexible than years past. I doubt I could get into a tuck on my old Ducati 916.

All of these challenges are well known by my wife of 51 years, and my final decision is largely based on her comfort level. As much as I’d likely enjoy riding again, it’s winter, I’m old, and most importantly her peace of mind is worth more than me riding. Her arthritis won’t allow her to join me. That was half the fun “back in the day”. I guess I’m feeling a lot of nostalgia as the New Year begins anew with a clean slate of opportunitie.

Hello

I've read with a lot of interest (for personal reasons I will not share publicly) and I see many good arguments for you to purchase that R18.

On holidays on France south, I met my very first R18 TC.
The guy who rode it was quite tall (around 1m85) and was about 76 years old. He handled it on the parking like it was as light as a lighter bike.
So... I'm not worried.

Regards

If you have to ask the question, "should I ride again" to a motorcycle forum, you already know the answer ;)

I think you're here just to join the party early 🍻

Buy the damn thing and join us already!

Mike

Thanks to all for the comments and encouragement - much appreciated. After a long look at the local R18 for sale I was seriously tempted to buy it. It appeals to me on all levels.

But, after a long chat with my wife, she calmly and quietly asked me a simple question: "Why do you want to ride again?" She didn't talk about the possible risks riding a bike - we both know them from seeing friends suffer accidents over the years. I could see in her eyes something very important that I saw two years ago before a very serious (and life threatening) high risk surgery. She was afraid then that our time together may have been cut short, or even ending. The possibility for serious life changing outcomes was very high. Now our conversation wasn't about my skills or riding enjoyment, but her fear that if something were to go wrong she would have to face the same potential feeling of helplessness that she felt when it wasn't clear if I would survive. It was bad enough having her go through that once, and I don't want to have her have to face that feeling ever again.

I have won the "wife lottery" and even though I've enjoyed sharing our lives for over 55 years when we first dated in high school, I haven't had enough of them yet. I don't want to do anything that may jeopardize that, and so my brief foray into motorcycles has ended.

Sometimes knowing what is important comes into focus more clearly when it's left unsaid by someone you truly love.

I wish all of you many years of happy riding, and hopefully equally happy years sharing your life with "someone special". I've been fortunate to have experienced both.

Be well everyone, and thank you again.

I've attached the last bike I owned - a mint R NineT/5, fully loaded with everything - it was a bike I could do anything with, and I even had the optional removable soft bags for when I needed them. Just looking back at the pictures made us both enjoy a pleasant afternoon reminiscing.

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpeg
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
Thanks to all for the comments and encouragement - much appreciated. After a long look at the local R18 for sale I was seriously tempted to buy it. It appeals to me on all levels.

But, after a long chat with my wife, she calmly and quietly asked me a simple question: "Why do you want to ride again?" She didn't talk about the possible risks riding a bike - we both know them from seeing friends suffer accidents over the years. I could see in her eyes something very important that I saw two years ago before a very serious (and life threatening) high risk surgery. She was afraid then that our time together may have been cut short, or even ending. The possibility for serious life changing outcomes was very high. Now our conversation wasn't about my skills or riding enjoyment, but her fear that if something were to go wrong she would have to face the same potential feeling of helplessness that she felt when it wasn't clear if I would survive. It was bad enough having her go through that once, and I don't want to have her have to face that feeling ever again.

I have won the "wife lottery" and even though I've enjoyed sharing our lives for over 55 years when we first dated in high school, I haven't had enough of them yet. I don't want to do anything that may jeopardize that, and so my brief foray into motorcycles has ended.

Sometimes knowing what is important comes into focus more clearly when it's left unsaid by someone you truly love.

I wish all of you many years of happy riding, and hopefully equally happy years sharing your life with "someone special". I've been fortunate to have experienced both.

Be well everyone, and thank you again.

I've attached the last bike I owned - a mint R NineT/5, fully loaded with everything - it was a bike I could do anything with, and I even had the optional removable soft bags for when I needed them. Just looking back at the pictures made us both enjoy a pleasant afternoon re
Thank you for your wise words and kind wishes.
I also share the opinion that your wife’s feelings and worries outweigh anything else.
Stay strong!!!!

I can’t agree, no matter what you do there are risks and dangers. Going to the bathroom going out the front door driving a car All could have the same result as a motorcycle accident. That said it’s your decision to make and you have resolved the internal conflict.

I can’t agree, no matter what you do there are risks and dangers. Going to the bathroom going out the front door driving a car All could have the same result as a motorcycle accident. That said it’s your decision to make and you have resolved the internal conflict.
Wow..... not sure where you live.... but going to the bathroom, going out the front door or driving a car..... don't have the same risks as motorcycle riding in my world.... not even close..... ie. chances of a fatality in a motorcycle accident are approximately 30 times higher than in a car.....

Hello

I've read with a lot of interest (for personal reasons I will not share publicly) and I see many good arguments for you to purchase that R18.

On holidays on France south, I met my very first R18 TC.
The guy who rode it was quite tall (around 1m85) and was about 76 years old. He handled it on the parking like it was as light as a lighter bike.
So... I'm not worried.

Regards
Go for it your only here the once 👍

Back