I gave up motorcycles years ago - Am I crazy to think about riding again?

Wow..... not sure where you live.... but going to the bathroom, going out the front door or driving a car..... don't have the same risks as motorcycle riding in my world.... not even close..... ie. chances of a fatality in a motorcycle accident are approximately 30 times higher than in a car.....
I didn’t say nor mean to imply the risks of all activities are at the same level of risk. What I was Saying is nothing we do is without risk and you can get injured even doing mundane tasks. In example tripping and falling down a flight of stairs. You can also manage risks, on every task including riding a motorcycle in example lowering your speed navigating Curses slower riding in areas with less traffic, of course that is not an inclusive list.

i was interested in your thread because I have had the same internal struggle and probably will many times in the future. What has always helped me is realizing I run the risk of injury no matter what I do and the only way to be completely safe is to do nothing. i don’t want to waste what precious time I have left avoiding the things I love because I could get hurt. Honestly for me and I am sure it is different for others, if I am killed riding a motorcycle, I am absolutely certain everyone will say he died doing what he loved. Some time ago I purchased a picture that and mounted it in my man cave that emulates my thoughts.

IMG_2194.jpeg

IMG_2195.jpeg

I didn’t say nor mean to imply the risks of all activities are at the same level of risk. What I was Saying is nothing we do is without risk and you can get injured even doing mundane tasks. In example tripping and falling down a flight of stairs. You can also manage risks, on every task including riding a motorcycle in example lowering your speed navigating Curses slower riding in areas with less traffic, of course that is not an inclusive list.

i was interested in your thread because I have had the same internal struggle and probably will many times in the future. What has always helped me is realizing I run the risk of injury no matter what I do and the only way to be completely safe is to do nothing. i don’t want to waste what precious time I have left avoiding the things I love because I could get hurt. Honestly for me and I am sure it is different for others, if I am killed riding a motorcycle, I am absolutely certain everyone will say he died doing what he loved. Some time ago I purchased a picture that and mounted it in my man cave that emulates my thoughts.

View attachment 12780

View attachment 12781
Love your garage 😎

View attachment 12780

View attachment 12781
Can we see em topless?

Man! Hell of a collection! You’ve got the Guzzi California! Tried to buy one during Covid but the dealer seemed not to want to sell anything for some reason. How’s it compare to the R18?
Thank you, the calvin compared to the R18. R18 much more torque and smoother, handles with a low center of gravity. Calvin much lighter handles much quicker and flicks around curves with ease.

Greetings!

A few years ago I turned 70, deciding that after many decades of riding without incident it was time to move on. Over those years I owned everything from Ducati 916 and MV Agusta to many Japanese brands, Harleys and 7 different. BMWS. There were over 2 dozen motorcycles in all, nearly a dozen motorcycle safety classes, track days, and other trainings.

Since giving up riding I’ve missed it at times, but not enough to overcome 4 surgeries and the overhang from those events. Tonight I browsed my local BMW dealer’s website, and he has a 2021 Founders Edition on the showroom floor with 5K miles that he’ll let me have at a very good price.

Ordinarily I’d not reconsider, but I test rode the same model just after it came out and liked it. I’m 5’7”, but I’ve ridden a long time and was comfortable that I could handle the bike well. The issue is the weight, my age, and Father Time‘s impact on my body.

Rationally I know I should smile at the happy memories of riding and just move on. Yet, for some reason I’m still interested. My wife thinks I’m crazy, and I really can’t argue that she has lots of valid reasons for her concern.

So, here I am on a BMW R18 forum asking your thoughts about ”How do I move on, or should I give it one more try with the R18?”

I know the logical answer, but I need some “closure” to put this behind me once and for all.

What say thee?
Lot's of variables.....first question that comes to mind is can you physically handle riding a motorcycle in your current state, as in physical condition? If you have real doubts, pass. If your pretty sure you can, then you have the option, ride or not. As far as the R18, I just bought the 2023 anniversary model. I mention this specifically because this model sits very low, so you have a very low center of gravity, and someone your height will find the bike very easy to handle with great balance. The only concern is very tight spaces but in that case you just pay attention....then no problem. I would imagine all R18s have the same low center of gravity but that I don't know for sure. Without going into a big spiel, it comes down to quality of life. When we start giving up the things we really enjoy, as Clint Eastwood would say "We've let the old man in". I'm 67 , I would rather drop dead on the court, in the gym, on my bike, et.et than on the couch....living is dangerous, things can happen out of the blue, so what, you minimize the chances of that happening while still living your life.
So you get where I'm coming from....

Note: off-topic...
Not sure that Betteridge's law of headlines applies here but I really enjoyed reading the linked article and the referenced follow-on research.

It is interesting stuff. However:

It was more of just a funny way to answer “no” to “am I crazy to think about riding again?”

:)

When my wife was about 23yo.... a guy who was showing his mother his new sidecar set up..... came across into oncoming traffic sideways with his mother taking the full impact of the car in front of my wifes car (50mph traffic).... mother's corpse was covered up with a blanket from my wifes car..... so I'm not allowed a sidecar.

When my wife was about 23yo.... a guy who was showing his mother his new sidecar set up..... came across into oncoming traffic sideways with his mother taking the full impact of the car in front of my wifes car (50mph traffic).... mother's corpse was covered up with a blanket from my wifes car..... so I'm not allowed a sidecar.
Wow

Back