I put in too much engine oil

Does the R18 need to be level WHILE doing the oil change? I believe there are some bikes out there that need to be level else you can't fill the required amount of oil.

Does the R18 need to be level WHILE doing the oil change? I believe there are some bikes out there that need to be level else you can't fill the required amount of oil.
Does the R18 have a manual? I have read on the internet that modern bikes (post 1935) come with a book that talks about how to maintain them

Ok over snarky, but C’mon people. 😂

Does the R18 have a manual? I have read on the internet that modern bikes (post 1935) come with a book that talks about how to maintain them

Well the only reference to an oil change in the manual is under Topping Up where it says to put the bike on the stand. But for a complete oil change? I can infer and do the same but thought it better to check with folks who've actually done an oil change on this bike.

Yes. It's kind of tough. You don't have much room to get a standard drain pan under the bike. But it can be done. If you drain all the oil completely, and replace the oil filter, the bike will take 4 liters of oil. You can buy 4 liter jugs of oil, or 4 one liter jugs. If you practice this procedure all the time you will always put in the correct amount.

Yes. It's kind of tough. You don't have much room to get a standard drain pan under the bike. But it can be done. If you drain all the oil completely, and replace the oil filter, the bike will take 4 liters of oil. You can buy 4 liter jugs of oil, or 4 one liter jugs. If you practice this procedure all the time you will always put in the correct amount.
Thanks Adrian! Will keep that in mind. I was wondering if I should invest in a quality wheel chock so the bike can be held level and have more room under to work.

Thanks Adrian! Will keep that in mind. I was wondering if I should invest in a quality wheel chock so the bike can be held level and have more room under to work.
I actually have one I won years ago. I back the bike up on it and if lifts the bike up a couple inches. Helps, but it's still tight. Try to also find a shallow but wide drain pan...Mine is typical for cars...I make a mess everytime..lol

BMW doesn't like owners working on their own bikes or cars to the extent they stopped selling shop manuals. The owners manual isn't as helpful as it once was.

Reactions: avi
BMW doesn't like owners working on their own bikes or cars to the extent they stopped selling shop manuals. The owners manual isn't as helpful as it once was.
Congress has re-introduced a right to repair bill that could force the issue. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...tion-re-introduced-in-congress-301744299.html

Could be worth reviewing the bill to see if you agree with it as written & if so connecting with your representatives to urge supporting it or making changes you feel are appropriate.

BMW has more use for your money than you so they will not let you work on your bike. Let BMW have it all ! !! !

Back