I want winglets on my bagger but I don't want to do any modifications

adamchandler

Can I just cut the bottom portion of them and sand it down so they clear those fork mounted turn signals? The amount of wind hitting me in the chin and rattling my head on the interstate is becoming an issue so bad that I refuse to go on long trips anymore on the R18. I want clean air and I think winglets are what I need. I just don't want to spend thousands to retrofit the TC turn signals.

Can I just cut the bottom portion of them and sand it down so they clear those fork mounted turn signals? The amount of wind hitting me in the chin and rattling my head on the interstate is becoming an issue so bad that I refuse to go on long trips anymore on the R18. I want clean air and I think winglets are what I need. I just don't want to spend thousands to retrofit the TC turn signals.

This is a picture of a forum member that reshaped the winglets; another member installed the mini-LED directionals for the Model B which doesn't interfere with the winglets (that would be my suggestion).

Screenshot_20230209-171352.png

Try ordering from MAX BMW; attached is the installation document and the link to the parts; Option 7 looks to be the smallest of all the available B options:
SKU: 77515A1A282
Positions: Front
Other Names: Set Mini Led Blinkers Front
https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/...set-mini-led-blinkers-front-black-77515a1a282

Screenshot_20221202-064048-605.png

Last edited:
This is a picture of a forum member that reshaped the winglets; another member installed the mini-LED directionals for the Model B which doesn't interfere with the winglets (that would be my suggestion).

View attachment 8972

Try ordering from MAX BMW; attached is the installation document and the link to the parts; Option 7 looks to be the smallest of all the available B options:
SKU: 77515A1A282
Positions: Front
Other Names: Set Mini Led Blinkers Front
https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/...set-mini-led-blinkers-front-black-77515a1a282

Screenshot_20221202-064048-605.png

Side by Side Comparison

Screenshot_20230209-192850.png

Side by Side Comparison

View attachment 8975
This was me as I was intending to fit the winglets if the change of screen didn’t sort the buffeting but it did.
Everyone seems to go bigger but I went with the short screen and it fixed shake completely for me. If I close the vents on my helmet it’s almost silent.

Adam, it may be worth trying a ride without a screen on at all. As you have eluded to previously, we all sit on the bike differently but it’s worth a shot imo. The wind deflector from BMW is also the cheapest option by some margin over changing the indicators or fitting winglets.

This was me as I was intending to fit the winglets if the change of screen didn’t sort the buffeting but it did.
Everyone seems to go bigger but I went with the short screen and it fixed shake completely for me. If I close the vents on my helmet it’s almost silent.

Adam, it may be worth trying a ride without a screen on at all. As you have eluded to previously, we all sit on the bike differently but it’s worth a shot imo. The wind deflector from BMW is also the cheapest option by some margin over changing the indicators or fitting winglets.
My model B has the stock windshield, which is lower (smaller) than the TC; BMW offers a low cut wind deflector which I've seen some other forum member have switched too.

Thanks all. I LOVE riding the R18. it's so comfortable and fun but I continue riding my GS Adventure because I'm in this perfect bubble of silent, no turbulence. Everyone that rides my R18 says they can't see straight from the shake that the vibration screws up their vision. One friend who rides touring cruisers said it's unrideable. I will attest the air is clean without a windscreen at all but I am aiming for zero wind like my GSA offers.

Thanks for the photos of the turn signals. Those are way too small for comfort for me even if they're as bright.

They work. I have no plan to change their orientation due to the headshake so if these make the air hitting me completely smooth, I'm going to keep them like this. They do touch the turn signals and may rattle against them. If that ends up being true, I'll maybe apply some sort of adhesive tape that is thick to reduce the noise. My primary goal is spending as little money as possible and eliminating the head vibrations.

Fng53oh.jpg
9J8RsPW.jpg
kLZF4KO.jpg
KWLdKPL.jpg
qBOmtUQ.jpg
VgWyYi4.jpg
AwJy74j.jpg

They work. I have no plan to change their orientation due to the headshake so if these make the air hitting me completely smooth, I'm going to keep them like this. They do touch the turn signals and may rattle against them. If that ends up being true, I'll maybe apply some sort of adhesive tape that is thick to reduce the noise. My primary goal is spending as little money as possible and eliminating the head vibrations.

Fng53oh.jpg
9J8RsPW.jpg
kLZF4KO.jpg
KWLdKPL.jpg
qBOmtUQ.jpg
VgWyYi4.jpg
AwJy74j.jpg

The contact between the winglets and the directionals, didn't make any noise that I could tell; I didn't like the damage that was created on the lens of the directional. Note, I didn't see any damage on the winglets. I'd still recommend the smaller or mini-blinker, I'm sure the indicators are as bright as the stock indicators.

I'll see if I can find pictures of my lens with the scuff mark.

I'd still recommend the smaller or mini-blinker, I'm sure the indicators are as bright as the stock indicators.
Some argue that surface area has a great significance for visibility, so smaller blinkers (or rear lights etc) might not be as visible as bigger ones even if they are brighter. Personally, I think that makes sense, especially on a bright day. But I'm not into small blinkers so haven't compared.

Just bought a r18b wind sucks!!!!! Could you not take a dremel tool and just grind a little off where it is touching?
Does your bike currently have the BMW OEM Engine Protection Bar installed? If so, I went all in with the Lower Leg Wind Protection, Winglets, Auxiliary Lights and TC blinkers/Mounting Bar; I found a huge wind reduction above 60 mph with the Lower Leg Wind Protection and Winglets in place, with the stock Bagger windshield.

I love the way my R18 B looks, and was able to keep it BMW stock, without any modifications which would take away from its value.

Thanks for response. Just had it 1 week ordered the cheap winglets to see how that works if good will order bmw winglets. Can not wait to see if it help right now miss my goldwing was such a nice ride at 60 which is what most of my riding is at.

Hello All, I’m new to this group and brought a new R18B. I’m going through the same pain when it comes to wind buffeting. I saw these in AliExpress. Has anyone brought these? If so, please share your feedback.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $272.00 20% Off | Motorcycle Front Air Deflector Side Wing Aero Winglets Windshield Fairing For BMW R18B R18 Bagger TransContinental 2022 2023
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLoUfVG

Back