Installed! DNA Air Filter with DNA Frame **Thoughts**

I have no tune and this setup. The first start it was rough for a few seconds but it soon adjusted itself and got even better after a couple of rides. Can’t say I noticed any power difference but a better intake sound and smoother engine were worth it for me.
How was the throttle response - does opening up the throttle quickly at lower revs, say, 1500 ~ 2500 rpm) cause a delay - sometimes a big opening up in air supply slows down response?

How was the throttle response - does opening up the throttle quickly at lower revs, say, 1500 ~ 2500 rpm) cause a delay - sometimes a big opening up in air supply slows down response?
Throttle response has actually improved somewhat...The bike's ECM compensates for the improved air flow.

a second time;)
Make that a third time - drilled out baffles + today added the DNA filter & frame. Test ride over 150 km of freeway & country winding roads and it’s definitely an improvement. Seems smoother & more eager to rev, roll on throttle response improved, nice throaty induction sound when opening her up but still quiet on constant throttle. Thanks BM for those wide band O2 sensors !
Next step order the Brentune.

There's a few threads on this forum discussing the company that makes Brentune for the R18 (and other BM models), the setup details & outcomes - search for Brentune or BT Moto - most on this forum that have flashed their ECU from them seem to be very happy with the results.
Their web-site for the R18 is : https://brentuningmoto.com/motorcycle/bmw-r18-2020/ and gives pretty good explanation of what they do, how to flash the bike, etc.
You can buy the flashing tool and the mapping they create for your specific bike, which is part of the cost dierctly from the site ($795usd).
Cheers !

Is the K&N air filter oil compatible with the DNA air filter?
Does the DNA filter come oiled from the factory just like the K&N air filter?

Adrian R, if you get bored some day......I think it would be swell if you could walk us through the process (in writing) of how to access the air filter. On my R1200C, it was under the tank on the right side but I did not have to completely remove the tank.
If it took you and two others an hour, my goodness I don't like the sound of it already. Where is that darn thing?

Adrian R, if you get bored some day......I think it would be swell if you could walk us through the process (in writing) of how to access the air filter. On my R1200C, it was under the tank on the right side but I did not have to completely remove the tank.
If it took you and two others an hour, my goodness I don't like the sound of it already. Where is that darn thing?

Here's a thread with pics:

Basically you remove the badges above the cylinders, and remove the screws underneath. There are two machine screws on each side that hold the covers together remove them. Now you have access to the air box. Opening that up is pretty straight forward but keep in mind that you have to remove the snorkels to access the filter. Be forceful with those and they come right off. If you are keeping the stock air box you can leave them off if you don't care about a little extra sound. The whole process is simple if you have the correct tools.

where did you get it? and is the mentioned frame included / required.
I ordered it online from the DNA website (in Greece) - took 2 weeks to arrive and 1 hr to install. Drove 8,500 km (around 5,300 miles) through Europe - a marvel, definitely a better sound (I have Jeckyl & Hyde) and a tick of more torque. It is a full kit, filter in the frame which fits perfectly into the filter box below the tank. Fitting is a bit tricky, since you need very short 90 degree angled torks to open the filter box (of course I didn't have it, so I used a torks bit, Indexfinger to press the bit down and a 10 wrench.... worked). That's the one I got: https://www.dnafilters.com/us/produ.../BMW-R18-(20-22)-DNA-Air-Filter-P-BM18CR20-01

There is also a brand new one: https://www.dnafilters.com/us/produ...r-Box-Cover-S2-and-Filter-P-BM18CR20-S2-COMBO
this one eliminates the air intake hoses..... well will check it out in due course

I ordered it online from the DNA website (in Greece) - took 2 weeks to arrive and 1 hr to install. Drove 8,500 km (around 5,300 miles) through Europe - a marvel, definitely a better sound (I have Jeckyl & Hyde) and a tick of more torque. It is a full kit, filter in the frame which fits perfectly into the filter box below the tank. Fitting is a bit tricky, since you need very short 90 degree angled torks to open the filter box (of course I didn't have it, so I used a torks bit, Indexfinger to press the bit down and a 10 wrench.... worked). That's the one I got: https://www.dnafilters.com/us/produ.../BMW-R18-(20-22)-DNA-Air-Filter-P-BM18CR20-01

There is also a brand new one: https://www.dnafilters.com/us/produ...r-Box-Cover-S2-and-Filter-P-BM18CR20-S2-COMBO
this one eliminates the air intake hoses..... well will check it out in due course
Hi Tom,
thanks for the info, but I already ordered, installed and drove some 4000 km with the DNA filter kit... it's just great... even so great that I decided to go for the Brentuner kit also.... with this as a combination, you get a very different behaviour... not that I am into speed, but handling is much smoother operation

A 1/4" socket with the torx bit or a 1/4" open socket wrench with the torx bit. That's the right tool for the job.

Hey, lol, sorry it took me so long to respond. Haven't been here is awhile. Anyway, the air box is beneath the fuel tank in the engine's housing. Pretty simple to get at it. There's two screws on each two 1800cc emblems.... Remove the emblems in which will give you access to screws on either side holding the engine covers on, remove those, and then there are a couple under the tank at the top of the engine. Remove those and you can remove the engine casings. you will see the airbox with black air inlet hoses feeding air to the air box. Remove the hoses and the top of the stock airbox. When removing the screws that hold the cover on...be careful to ensure the screw inserts remain in the bottom of the air box, you will need to attach the new DNA filter frame to those posts/female screw inserts with the supplied screws. Obviously, the new filter is held in place with the frame and those four screws. It's all quite simple once you look at it. Took me about an hour to do the job... If one of the inserts come out with the screw...remove the insert from the screw and screw it back into the lower part of the air box. Make sure you do not screw it in too far out of the reach of the new screw. I did that with one of them, and I had to go to the hardware store to get a longer screw. Obviously reassemble. You'll like the extra sound and zip you get with this upgrade.

Back