Installed! DNA Air Filter with DNA Frame **Thoughts**

Since I don't have a Hayabusa, a ZX14 or a Honda Blackbird anymore I'm gonna get a DNA air filter and recreate those awesome years when I was young(er) and in love with speed.
I'm gonna pit my R18 against the young and the restless of today's world of freeway racing. Nothing's gonna stop me and I'm going to show everybody what a DNA filter can do, how it can turn a lazy cruiser into a speed monster feared by everybody.
Joke aside, some of you are delusional. Nothing to be mad or upset about, you find them on every motorcycle related message boards.
What's important is how you feel it!

My R18C probably get one (or none) HP increase from this filter but it does BRRRR better and louder so I feel myself fast and furious!

It's actually feels a bit different and a bit more responsive to throttle. Mixed with BT it definitely makes a diff.

My R18C probably get one (or none) HP increase from this filter but it does BRRRR better and louder so I feel myself fast and furious!

It's actually feels a bit different and a bit more responsive to throttle. Mixed with BT it definitely makes a diff.
Exactly, it does, at least imo with the Brentuning....Y

I think it absolutely does increase HP and torque...As I mentioned earlier, I cannot asses any numbers as it's a seat of the pants estimate, but it does make a difference at least with my bike and the Brentuning...It's now like my other bike, a one gearer...meaning I can exceed posted speed limits or pass cars with one gear...

Last edited:
Installed the DNA filter, but did not use the mounting bracket. Used the standard airbox cover and snorkels... My thought is that if you use no snorkels and airbox cover, the complete interior of the top section will get dirty under the covers... Don't think there will be a difference in performance increase, with or without airbox covers and snorkels. Installation took me an hour or so and will go for a testdrive later today

Installed the DNA filter, but did not use the mounting bracket. Used the standard airbox cover and snorkels... My thought is that if you use no snorkels and airbox cover, the complete interior of the top section will get dirty under the covers... Don't think there will be a difference in performance increase, with or without airbox covers and snorkels. Installation took me an hour or so and will go for a testdrive later today
There are plastic pieces in the front engine cover where the snorkels plug into that help keep dirt out.
Not sure if you will hear a difference.Good luck though.

There are plastic pieces in the front engine cover where the snorkels plug into that help keep dirt out.
Not sure if you will hear a difference.Good luck though.
Hi, my idea, with this filter, is to improve airflow and with that torque and power... not sound... for me it sounds just fine as it is.

Hi, my idea, with this filter, is to improve airflow and with that torque and power... not sound... for me it sounds just fine as it is.
Oh,Sorry.I thought you kept the snorkels on to elimate dirt and sound .The snorkels are restrictive and won't improve the torque and power.Note the grapgh on dna website for air flow numbers.

DNA-P-BM18CR20-S2-COMBO-3__87431.png
Funny,My hats off to you for getting the snorkels back on.I initially used the stock top cover and left the snorkels off.Why?Because they were a pain in the ass for me to reassemble.Then I ordered the DNA cover.Sound,torque and power increased.
Just my expierence.
Good on ya.

When I first ordered the DNA, I didn't understand the cover frame because I couldn't make out how it was installed based on the pics. Also, I didn't see the chart above. After I put the filter in and could actually see how the cover went together, I wished I had ordered the frame - so I did. It came in right before I took the bike in for service so I just took it to the shop to have them do it since it was there....they didn't charge me to do it. BTW, save yourself a few bucks and order the kit with the frame if you think you want it because there's a pretty big price difference seperately.

Oh,Sorry.I thought you kept the snorkels on to elimate dirt and sound .The snorkels are restrictive and won't improve the torque and power.Note the grapgh on dna website for air flow numbers.

View attachment 6102
Funny,My hats off to you for getting the snorkels back on.I initially used the stock top cover and left the snorkels off.Why?Because they were a pain in the ass for me to reassemble.Then I ordered the DNA cover.Sound,torque and power increased.
Just my expierence.
Good on ya.
ok, thanks for the info...will test how it runs with all the plastic on and then give it a go without plastic stuff but only using the dna bracket....

did run a test today...
WOW !!
not only increased torque, but also higher top speed
And a much smoother running engine; it is as if someone dropped his mouthmask after weeks in quarentine....

After consulting with the BMW mechanics at the shop, I have decided to remove the snorkels and airbox cover... Air is not only pulled in via the snorkels, but also via the cable/tubing entry in the covers and through openings in the airbox cover.... There will be minimal extra dirt build up, if any...
(and also because R18C said so ;-) )

More testing tomorrow
br
Ser

did run a test today...
WOW !!
And a much smoother running engine; it is as if someone dropped his mouthmask after weeks in quarentine....

After consulting with the BMW mechanics at the shop, I have decided to remove the snorkels and airbox cover... Air is not only pulled in via the snorkels, but also via the cable/tubing entry in the covers and through openings in the airbox cover.... There will be minimal extra dirt build up, if any...

More testing tomorrow
br
Ser
Is your R18 in stock tune - ie, no Brentune. Am interested in doing the same dna filter + frame but assumed the full open frame setup would need a tuning change. Or perhaps the wide band O2 sensors the R18 has can cover the open filter frame ok ?

Is your R18 in stock tune - ie, no Brentune. Am interested in doing the same dna filter + frame but assumed the full open frame setup would need a tuning change. Or perhaps the wide band O2 sensors the R18 has can cover the open filter frame ok ?
You can do the filter without the tune thanks to the BMW using wide band O2 sensors.The BrenTuner will give you even more power and throttle response.

did run a test today...
WOW !!

More testing tomorrow
br
Ser
BTW,how does she sound? :LOL:LOL

I just put the DNA frame on (already had the DNA filter installed) and took the bike for a ride. I don't perceive any noticeable power band change, but the increased airflow absolutely makes the motor run smoother. I ride enough - even short errands - that I know how this motor feels and there is a difference for the good.

I just put the DNA frame on (already had the DNA filter installed) and took the bike for a ride. I don't perceive any noticeable power band change, but the increased airflow absolutely makes the motor run smoother. I ride enough - even short errands - that I know how this motor feels and there is a difference for the good.
installed the DNA frame just now...01:00 local time.... took a closer look at the snorkels... they do have a very narrow throughput of air to the beast...Test ride tomorrow...

I have no tune and this setup. The first start it was rough for a few seconds but it soon adjusted itself and got even better after a couple of rides. Can’t say I noticed any power difference but a better intake sound and smoother engine were worth it for me.

installed the DNA frame just now...01:00 local time.... took a closer look at the snorkels... they do have a very narrow throughput of air to the beast...Test ride tomorrow...
well, I only have one word... WOW... driving it yesterday without the mounting frame, so with snorkels and airbox cover, gave a noticable improvement in torque and smoothness... But now, with these items removed and only use the mounting bracket, even that improved... and yes R18C... also the noise is an improvement... the experiment was succesfull !!

Back