Is Lack of Reverse a Deal Breaker?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. It would appear there are no Red R18C bikes with reverse so it comes down to what I want to ride (a red bike) versus what might be nice to have once or twice and make a buyer happy in 7-10 years (reverse)

That’s a great point about the pinstripes. I had not considered that to be a big deal but it does speak to the heritage styling.

I’m waiting on out the door prices on both bikes in hand. The 2022 Red premium will be delivered to my door. The 2021 First Edition with reverse and pinstripes will be a fly and ride down to North Carolina and 1000 miles home. I’ve done it before but the plane ticket and gas eliminates the price savings.

Hi! Yes, that’s me. R18 has been calling for a while. Finally starting to think about getting one.
I had the same thing happen to me...I actually traded my GS for a R18. Then traded a RT for a R18TC. So, I am all in on the R18 platform 20220524_141222.jpg

Thanks,really love it too!The R18 was made for a side hack,4 sure.
Hardly ever see any on the road.I get more pictures taken of it when we are going somewhere and gas stations are like crazy.Folks don't know if it is a old bike or a new one.
It is beautiful to behold. Finally dropping my classic off at Hannigan late next week for the sidecar installation thanks to R18C’s very helpful guidance.

I had the same thing happen to me...I actually traded my GS for a R18. Then traded a RT for a R18TC. So, I am all in on the R18 platform View attachment 5462

If the B was cheaper, I’d be all over it. Budget was around $15K for a new bike unfortunately.

I can’t NOT have a GS though. It’s still an off road bike where the R18 can never be that. I’m in Michigan at the moment riding ATV trails on the GS. Just not a place for a cruiser.

If I had to whittle the fleet down to one bike, it’d be my GSA. It’s the best do everything bike. But my R18 would be my 2nd choice.
I really enjoyed the GS, but soon realized, that my off road skills, were lacking big time, with the weight of the GS, and sugar sand in my area. If I am traveling distance, the TC is better for me and my girl. If riding off road, something along the line of a 300 KTM, KLX, etc., is better for me. Isn't it great to have options!

Isn't it funny how the r18 has shifted in the last 6 months?

Gone from couldn't give them away at the dealers, offering crazy discounts etc, to now being much more sought after.

Feels like those in the right place at the right time got some great deals!
I'm sure also those great deals primed the pump a bit too. More bikes on the road, generates more visibility, which creates more interest, which leads to increased demand.

The biggest hurdle for the R18 hasn't been about the quality of the bike, but rather the awareness and willingness of people to even try it. The timing of the pandemic as well was a factor that likely reduced natural demand. I expect as more people regularly go to bike events and dealerships this will only accelerate the interest in the R18.

I really enjoyed the GS, but soon realized, that my off road skills, were lacking big time, with the weight of the GS, and sugar sand in my area. If I am traveling distance, the TC is better for me and my girl. If riding off road, something along the line of a 300 KTM, KLX, etc., is better for me. Isn't it great to have options!
Any big adventure bike is more of a handful in really technical terrain than a dirt bike. I've had my GS in the sugar sand of the Pine Barrens in NJ & single track at ski mountains & it's not as easy as a 250lb dirt bike. But the GS can do more difficult terrain than it should be able to and you can comfortably ride to the trails. I've thought of a KTM 300 or 500 for technical dirt, but then I need to trailer it to there, so it becomes much more expensive and more logistics.

You're absolutely correct that having options is amazing. The R18 is another bike that is more capable than it has any right to be, which is why if I could only have 2, it'd be my GSA & my R18!

Not that pretty R75???!!!!
The R18 is also quite pretty and classic looking without the limitations of cable actuated drum brakes or carbs and a 4 speed transmission. I love my /5, but if I’m honest, I use my R18 more, so it would win if I needed to edit the fleet.

I’m fortunate that I don’t need to limit the fleet so the /5 stays. ;)

The R18 is also quite pretty and classic looking without the limitations of cable actuated drum brakes or carbs and a 4 speed transmission. I love my /5, but if I’m honest, I use my R18 more, so it would win if I needed to edit the fleet.

I’m fortunate that I don’t need to limit the fleet so the /5 stays. ;)
Funny I parted with my /5 for some of those same reasons.

Don't mind me, just seeing how the colors 'look' between my knees. Wasn't worried about the trims specifically just wanted to find a dealer with black & red side-by side since I had only seen red pictured online:

JpntBap.jpeg
D54TuPf.jpeg
jjT4BU6.jpeg
0dZgPsx.jpeg
XyfXTYQ.jpeg

This is off topic now so I'll shut up until I actually buy one :)

The R18 TR is very nice to you when you operate it between 2.2k rpm and 2.8k rpm. The black paint with white pin stripes is beautifully flecked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m looking at R18 Classics. The main reason for wanting the bike now versus 2 years ago is the addition of Mars Red to the lineup. It looks great.

Local dealer has offered a price of $18,750 for a Mars Red Premium Classic with floor boards. I’ve asked them if they’d consider demoing the bike to save an additional $1500. it’s a 2022 model so has some discounts but not many.

Alternatively, there’s a 1st Edition Classic 2021 for $15,995 which includes all incentives. It has the pinstriping, is also a premium bike and has reverse assist but…it’s not red.

—-

If the 1st gets demo pricing, we’re talking about a $1250 premium for a bike that is red but doesn’t have reverse assist versus a 1st edition which has better current rebates and the reverse but is in black.

I always think about resale (I know) and am wondering if someone is going to not care about color But want that reverse gear in 5-10 years when I sell it. Looking nationally, there aren’t many Premium Red Classics on showrooms and none have the little switch for reverse.
The reverse isn’t needed. Hill hold control is useful and one of my favorite features on the bike. If you are concerned with resale, get the FE classic, pinstripes, heated grips….most attractive bike ive ever seen.

The couple of times I used it was more work then pushing back myself. Maybe i will use it more when I get into my 60s who knows.

I do agree on hill hold though! Love that and now I have adaptive cruise control I can’t live without it. if you never had it you wont miss it.

John

I have a TC and only used to make sure I knew how it worked. On my 2018 Goldwing I used reverse often as that bike was tall for me. R18's are so low I doubt one would use reverse unless they were in an awkward parking situation. "Like condoms or fire arms ..........better to have and not need than need and not have!"
I really appreciate and use the reverse on my Classic. Takes a little time to get used to but once you do. ……

Isn't it funny how the r18 has shifted in the last 6 months?

Gone from couldn't give them away at the dealers, offering crazy discounts etc, to now being much more sought after.

Feels like those in the right place at the right time got some great deals!
What makes you believe the R18 is now selling in larger numbers? Just wondering as not seen any on the roads so far, with the exception of my own. Would be nice to know they are growing in popularity although I do enjoy the uniqueness that I am currently experiencing.

Back