Jack/Lift for the R18?

• Thread starter Deleted member 770
  • Start date
Hello,
Like many of you, I want to maintain my R 18 using suitable lifting equipment.
I chose for that the X518 Kern Stabi kit which is already discussed in this topic.
This device is certainly very expensive but it is very well designed.
The contact points are made at the front by tubes which fit into the hollow shapes of the engine casing and at the rear by rubberized surfaces which apply to the frame.
No mark is visible after use.
The stand lever does not require an exaggerated effort, on the other hand you must be careful in the reverse operation because the weight of the motorcycle tends to make you escape the lever from your hand.
The height obtained allows the operations concerning the wheels but is not sufficient to comfortably access the chassis.
For this, my choice went to a high-lift pallet truck that I had the good fortune to find used for 250 euros.
This pallet truck, whose forks fit perfectly under the Stern Stabi Kit, can support 1000 kg and lifts 80 cm above the ground.
From 40 cm in height, the geometry of the system means that metal parts come into contact with the ground to increase stability, which is very reassuring.
Please see attached photos.

2022_06_22_190759.jpg2022_06_30_165553.jpg2022_06_30_171339.jpg2022_06_30_165726.jpg

Hello,
I chose for that the X518 Kern Stabi kit which is already discussed in this topic.
The contact points are made at the front by tubes which fit into the hollow shapes of the engine casing and at the rear by rubberized surfaces which apply to the frame.
The stand lever does not require an exaggerated effort, on the other hand you must be careful in the reverse operation because the weight of the motorcycle tends to make you escape the lever from your hand.
The height obtained allows the operations concerning the wheels but is not sufficient to comfortably access the chassis.
For this, my choice went to a high-lift pallet truck that I had the good fortune to find used for 250 euros.
This pallet truck, whose forks fit perfectly under the Stern Stabi Kit, can support 1000 kg and lifts 80 cm above the ground.
From 40 cm in height, the geometry of the system means that metal parts come into contact with the ground to increase stability, which is very reassuring.

View attachment 6150View attachment 6151View attachment 6152View attachment 6153
Thank you so much for sharing this information. You really need to get his beast off the ground for proper cleaning and service work. I have a Big Blue lift but so far they have not provided any adapter for the R18.

Big Blue Lift, like another motorcycle lifts, is not enough for the R 18, except if you use them with the Kern Stabi X518, or another one inspired by !

Anyone have one of these jacks?
I have been looking for a Jack that would work using the exhaust hanger lift point.They have miltary discount(type in military on code) I ask about a group buy not sure if anyone would be interested.

Regards,Tom
Check out PitBull motorcycle jacks. I purchased when I had my Can Am Spyder F3T. It's pricey IMO but works very well and you can lift pretty high.

Big Blue Lift, like another motorcycle lifts, is not enough for the R 18, except if you use them with the Kern Stabi X518, or another one inspired by !
Seriously now, the Big Blue will lift a Goldwing like it was a bicycle, so no weight or height limits to worry over, just proper contact with the bike and I do not think Pit Bull or any others are yet equipped to lift the R18....

I have an existing 1 ton scissor-type lifting-jack that I was planning on using for maintenance, as well as possibly storing my R 18 B during the winter season in order to avoid flat spots on the tires. I like the idea of the X518 Kern-Stabi just to get the weight of the bike off the wheels, as well as being able to move the bike around the garage on dolly wheels; however, according to the directions performing an oil change (filter removal) isn't possible with the X518 in place - Has anyone confirmed this?

If I'm reading the earlier threads; it sounds like I can lift the R 18 buy simply removing the two heat shields from the exhaust and lifting the bike via the frame / engine case? Does it make sense to install 10M bolts into the mounting points as depicted below, in order to rest on the lift surface?

1661168889072.png

I have an existing 1 ton scissor-type lifting-jack that I was planning on using for maintenance, as well as possibly storing my R 18 B during the winter season in order to avoid flat spots on the tires. I like the idea of the X518 Kern-Stabi just to get the weight of the bike off the wheels, as well as being able to move the bike around the garage on dolly wheels; however, according to the directions performing an oil change (filter removal) isn't possible with the X518 in place - Has anyone confirmed this?

If I'm reading the earlier threads; it sounds like I can lift the R 18 buy simply removing the two heat shields from the exhaust and lifting the bike via the frame / engine case? Does it make sense to install 10M bolts into the mounting points as depicted below, in order to rest on the lift surface?

View attachment 6597
The lift that is shown in post #21 above uses these mount points to secure to the bike. Rather clever IMO and I don't see why somebody with a few bucks, a welder and some scrap weld steel couldn't fabricate something similar.

In fact, I'm toying with the idea myself. I have the large Harbor Freight red motorcycle lift and I'm thinking of either a hydraulic bottle jack or screw scissor jack welded to a sturdy (and WIDE) baseplate to hold Alcina (my bike) upright on the lift while servicing.

Mike

OK that makes more sense, I have no clue what it will take to adapt... I love my Big Blue but if I can not adapt it to the BMW ? I guess I will need to sell it off... MY R18 is WONDERFUL.... jp

I spent a little time yesterday looking at my bike; sadly my lift-jack surface is only 12" across in length, and the mounting points in the depicted image below is approximately 13.5" apart from the Engine Case mounting points to the Rear mounting points. The four threaded mounting points are M10 x 1.5 for anyone looking to fabricate a jig; I'm going to try and come up with something that I can adapt to my lift-jack in order to make it a little wider in length as it has an opening which allows the removal of the oil filter and oil drain plug while in the lifted position.

I also see that there appears to be another frame lifting point, just behind the exhaust hanger (basically behind & below the passenger foot pegs).

More to follow..

1661257661714.png

Hello,

View attachment 6150View attachment 6151View attachment 6152View attachment 6153
Dear Friend Can you tell me how much clearance under the Hornig lift system ?? From floor to bottom of the rails ??? I just might be able to use my Big Blue with this system and have the best of both worlds... Your help is much appreciated !! ! Jim

I use this

That is (or a similar model) what I use for all my other bikes .. this said I am a little unsure where to 'grab' it in front of the rear wheel .. there is a lot of stuff hanging out down there. Would you mind posting a pic with the bike up? I would like to (if you don't mind) get some ideas .. because i know that in a year or so I will have to change the rear tire .... and I am too darn cheap to pay the dealership a ransom to do it for me :)

In
That is (or a similar model) what I use for all my other bikes .. this said I am a little unsure where to 'grab' it in front of the rear wheel .. there is a lot of stuff hanging out down there. Would you mind posting a pic with the bike up? I would like to (if you don't mind) get some ideas .. because i know that in a year or so I will have to change the rear tire .... and I am too darn cheap to pay the dealership a ransom to do it for me :)
ransom…really. Start your own dealership and it and let me know what you will charge.

Dear Friend Can you tell me how much clearance under the Hornig lift system ?? From floor to bottom of the rails ??? I just might be able to use my Big Blue with this system and have the best of both worlds... Your help is much appreciated !! ! Jim
Dear Jim,
The available height under the Kern Stabi in the up position is 16cm, see the attached photo, the Big Blue Lift should do the job perfectly...
Loïc

Attachments

• 2022_08_24_092825.jpg
    2022_08_24_092825.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 37
Hello,

Bryl56 - Can you take a picture from the bottom, looking up at the oil filter and drain plug with the X518 jig in place; I want to make sure that both are accessible if changing the oil? I was thinking of designing / building something using components from the 80/20 company; however, it might be more cost effective to just purchase the X518 kit. I want to make sure I can gain access to the oil filter and drain plug when in a lifted position with the X518.

I took a closer look underneath my R18 B model, alongside my lift-jack and it's a "No-Go"; I'm going to need an additional support frame in order to have a secure contact purchase point. My fear is lifting the bike and having it slide off and causing additional damage to the undercarriage (exhaust, heat shields, etc.). I wish BMW would make the lifting mounting carriage available for owners that wrench a little bit for the small maintenance items; the servicing opening on my Lift-Jack is too wide for the engine case mounting points.

1661342878733.png

Back