Jack/Lift for the R18?

• Thread starter Deleted member 770
  • Start date
That wasn't very helpful ...
It just gets old when people complain how much it costs to have a business do work for them. Especially when they use derogatory terms like ‘ransom’.

They have overhead, people to pay, benefits for said people and yes, they are in business to make some money as well. At BMW they have skilled and trained mechanics that are not $15/hr workers off the street at the oil change shop.

Yes, easy tasks like tire swaps and oil changes are going to be higher than your local cheap labor garage. And clearly more than doing it yourself. Heck a small company just quoted me $6000 + paint to paint my houses. What a ripoff, I can paint it myself for the cost of paint!

Rant over.

Thank you ! most helpful. I will have to make a variation of this .. the 'Freedom' exhaust' has a different bracket ... but close enough to give me an idea.
Very much appreciated.

Bryl56 - Can you take a picture from the bottom, looking up at the oil filter and drain plug with the X518 jig in place; I want to make sure that both are accessible if changing the oil? I was thinking of designing / building something using components from the 80/20 company; however, it might be more cost effective to just purchase the X518 kit. I want to make sure I can gain access to the oil filter and drain plug when in a lifted position with the X518.

I took a closer look underneath my R18 B model, alongside my lift-jack and it's a "No-Go"; I'm going to need an additional support frame in order to have a secure contact purchase point. My fear is lifting the bike and having it slide off and causing additional damage to the undercarriage (exhaust, heat shields, etc.). I wish BMW would make the lifting mounting carriage available for owners that wrench a little bit for the small maintenance items; the servicing opening on my Lift-Jack is too wide for the engine case mounting points.

View attachment 6626
I didn't have the courage to take pictures of the Kern Stabi in place, too hot today, but I made a montage with the positions of the drain and the filter represented by black circles, see the attached photo. There is no doubt about the possibility of intervention on the oil filter when the motorcycle is erected with the Kern Stabi, on the other hand I will not guarantee that it is still possible when using a lift. The next time I use my lift I will take more precise photos...

Attachments

• 2022_08_24_171407.jpg
    2022_08_24_171407.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 39
I didn't have the courage to take pictures of the Kern Stabi in place, too hot today, but I made a montage with the positions of the drain and the filter represented by black circles, see the attached photo. There is no doubt about the possibility of intervention on the oil filter when the motorcycle is erected with the Kern Stabi, on the other hand I will not guarantee that it is still possible when using a lift. The next time I use my lift I will take more precise photos...
This is extremely helpful - thank you for sharing the picture concerning access to the oil filter and drain plug.

I've held off on ordering the 80/20 components to compliment my floor jack ($135 - Wife says throttle back on motorcycle bling); I'd like to see some detailed pictures and additional feedback from you and others.

I've held off on ordering the 80/20 components to compliment my floor jack ($135 - Wife says throttle back on motorcycle bling); I'd like to see some detailed pictures and additional feedback from you and others.
I first made my order last week then got a message a day later telling me, I still owe extra money for shipment costs, now with that paid I have heard nothing from them. Who knows how this will play out...Damn Sam, I should stay away from the BMW shop, they have a new version of my Classic and I want it so bad !! ! @#PR%)#&%R@#R&%... jp

Hi Scott I just got a message from DHL the shipper with my Hornig lift. I should have it on Wednesday !! ! Looking forward to that for sure ! ! !

Back