Jack/Lift for the R18?

• Thread starter Deleted member 770
  • Start date
Can I please order one of these? The other option, Kern-Stabi does not ship to the United States.
They ship to the USA; there's an earlier post within the forum, where someone provided a link to the website where they bought it.

I bought my Kern-Stabi X518 from a forum member, who purchased it online.

It takes me all of a minute or two to lift my bike for cleaning and or performing maintenance on it; plus I can raise it higher up using my standard lift-jack if necessary, using the Kern-Stabi frame as a flat and secure lifting surface for my floor jack.

I added an Allen bolt on the engine block's clutch side as an additional purchase point for the Kern-Stabi lifting frame.

Maybe try searching "X518" or "Kern-Stabi" on the forum, I do remember seeing the website and forum members commenting on some additional shipping steps required to get it delivered to the USA.

PXL_20230610_140234773.jpgPXL_20230610_140301520.jpg
PXL_20230610_140332726.jpg

USA SHIPPING DETAILS:

Thank you very much for the e-mail.
We have received your order and your payment.

You will receive an automatic email with DHL Express tracking after your package was shipped (after 7 pm German time).

Please check this tracking to know when your order will arrive.

Express shipping to the USA will usually take about 2-5 business days (no guarantee, in rare cases a bit longer).

(Due to the current virus pandemic, delays in delivery and late notification emails may be expected.)

I would like to provide you with some additional information on our shipping costs:
We are fully aware of the currently high shipping cost to the USA and some other countries.
This is due to the current virus pandemic: Nearly all transatlantic flights have been canceled, the freight capacities of these flights have dropped out completely virtually overnight.
This shortage of freight capacities led to a massive increase of the shipping prices and also to the ridiculous situation that the express service to the USA is currently cheaper than the standard service.
As soon as this situation normalizes, we expect the prices to drop again.
By the way: We do not earn money on the shipping cost, we charge our customers the same amount that shipping costs for us. Sometimes we even pay more for the shipping than we charge our customers.
We are also aware that there are some vendors out there offering cheaper shipping and we regularly screen their offers. But as we ship worldwide, DHL is currently the best and most reliable choice for us out there.
Here you can always find the currently available shipping options, pricing and the estimated delivery times:

Here you can find our interactive dealers map:
Here you will find our online shop:

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Ihr Hornig-Team

Motorradzubehör Hornig GmbH

Gewerbepark Chammünster Nord C5

93413 Cham

Germany

Geschäftsführer: Hornig Helmut

Regensburg HRB 10330

Ust.Id.Nr. DE251397246

Tel: +49 (0)9971 99 66 10

Fax: +49 (0)9971 99 66 110

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BMW-Motorradzubehor-Hornig/156425088256

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHornig

kg

USA SHIPPING DETAILS:

Thank you very much for the e-mail.
We have received your order and your payment.

You will receive an automatic email with DHL Express tracking after your package was shipped (after 7 pm German time).

Please check this tracking to know when your order will arrive.

Express shipping to the USA will usually take about 2-5 business days (no guarantee, in rare cases a bit longer).

(Due to the current virus pandemic, delays in delivery and late notification emails may be expected.)

I would like to provide you with some additional information on our shipping costs:
We are fully aware of the currently high shipping cost to the USA and some other countries.
This is due to the current virus pandemic: Nearly all transatlantic flights have been canceled, the freight capacities of these flights have dropped out completely virtually overnight.
This shortage of freight capacities led to a massive increase of the shipping prices and also to the ridiculous situation that the express service to the USA is currently cheaper than the standard service.
As soon as this situation normalizes, we expect the prices to drop again.
By the way: We do not earn money on the shipping cost, we charge our customers the same amount that shipping costs for us. Sometimes we even pay more for the shipping than we charge our customers.
We are also aware that there are some vendors out there offering cheaper shipping and we regularly screen their offers. But as we ship worldwide, DHL is currently the best and most reliable choice for us out there.
Here you can always find the currently available shipping options, pricing and the estimated delivery times:

[/URL]

Here you can find our interactive dealers map:
[/URL]
Here you will find our online shop:
[/URL]

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Ihr Hornig-Team

[/URL]

Motorradzubehör Hornig GmbH

Gewerbepark Chammünster Nord C5

93413 Cham

Germany

Geschäftsführer: Hornig Helmut

Regensburg HRB 10330

Ust.Id.Nr. DE251397246

Tel: +49 (0)9971 99 66 10

Fax: +49 (0)9971 99 66 110

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BMW-Motorradzubehor-Hornig/156425088256

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrHornig

kg
Thank You!!! I was able to place an order on this site. Also, a 19% discount after the VAT was taken off. Shipping wasn't that bad, $70.

Hopefully it will ship soon.

I ordered one too, they were quick to confirm and I expect it'll be here by the end of the month. Shipping came a bit higher than quoted, but they split the difference with me. Great company to do business with.

So, do you use this jack to lift the bike by supporting the bike using the engine ? I am very curious ! ! !
People seem to make it more difficult to lift the bike than it really is. I use a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift, then cut down a 2X4 and drilled holes in it allowing to put bolts through to the engine mount holes. It gives it enough space to clear the exhaust pipes and use the lift properly.

People seem to make it more difficult to lift the bike than it really is. I use a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift, then cut down a 2X4 and drilled holes in it allowing to put bolts through to the engine mount holes. It gives it enough space to clear the exhaust pipes and use the lift properly.
any pics you can post?

I thought I'd share my "redneck" bike service stand. It's a Harbor Freight model and I'm probably not tying down Alcina the proper way either...😵‍💫

Come and critique my poor-man's method of securing a $30k motorcycle down for service. Also, I hooked up an ATV winch to the front so I could inch Alcina up while I sat on her and CAREFULLY walked her up the ramp. My back doesn't have the strength to muscle 900+ lbs safely (translation: no WAY was I going to let her tip over!) by walking the bike up the normal way.

Wifey helped strap Alcina down using a criss-cross pattern on the handlebars. I used some kimwipes to protect the screen and paint from the straps, and another set of straps (orange) were added for extra stability.

View attachment 7059
Honda in the background is a 1976 CB500t for anyone who's curious. It's my wife's first motorcycle. The legs belong to my son ;)

View attachment 7060
Electric ATV winch setup. HUGE help in getting Alcina onto the lift. I sat on the bike and inched the bike forward using the winch to pull the front forks with a tow strap (not shown here).

View attachment 7061
The battery is a 12v LiFePO4 pulled out of an old EV truck that I bought like 15-20 of. They're great lead-acid replacements.

View attachment 7062
View attachment 7063
View attachment 7064
Eagle eyes can spot my 2004 r1150rt and 1976 528i E12, sans-hood. The E12 is a long-term project.

I started doing the 600 mile service today. Drained the oil but realized I had no clue where my oil filter wrench went to :mad:. So, I just ordered a $10 one off Amazon and it should be here Wednesday or Friday, hopefully. I was surprised at how loose the drain plug was. There was a single centimeter-long shaved bit of metal stuck to the end of the magnet but I'm going to chalk that up to the break-in procedure doing its part. It does make me want to split open the oil filter and see if any other metal shavings were also caught up in the first 600 miles of Alcina's life.

Additionally, I DID get the proper BMW G3 lube, despite also getting MOPAR fluid which was significantly cheaper, despite meeting API specs. I need to figure out a way to test both together, but that's something for another day. Sufficed to say, I intend to also change the transmission and final drive fluid as well during this service.

I will also be installing the black saddlebag protection bars also. Might as well bang everything out at once, right?

Mike
I have the HF lift also, I made some mods so it was easier for me. I removed the front wheel "chock" and pt a HF wheel chock at the very front to catch the wheel and tire and help hold upright. then I put a longer bar on for tie-downs, giving a better angle.
I use this lift for my 2019 HD Ultra and this Goldwing that's on it now. No tie down problems and center stand makes it very stable.

Attachments

• HF lift tie down point and wheel chock.jpg
    HF lift tie down point and wheel chock.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 61
  • HF lift.jpg
    HF lift.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Wheel chock.jpg
    Wheel chock.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 61
Here are the photos of the Big Blue Rizer lift with the X518 to carry the weight of the bike !! ! you will notice you can change the oil on this stand but I see no reason to do such as the X518 just gets in the way. I would think it would be so easy to just leave the bike on the side stand.... jp
I don’t see that you’re using those rails they provide and I can’t figure out how/when they’re necessary when using a hydraulic lift. Maybe they’re not?

I don’t see that you’re using those rails they provide and I can’t figure out how/when they’re necessary when using a hydraulic lift. Maybe they’re not?
They're not necessary, especially if performing your own maintenance;.they actually interfere with the oil filter when removing it.

I found the video by @Scott Semone really helpful. But before I order a Kern-Stabi lift, I wonder if anyone has yet developed a less expensive alternative?

I recently acquired a well-maintained J&S motorcycle lift, which I can use to lift my HD Police Electra Glide. Harleys are designed to be easily lifted. I had hoped I'd be able to use the J&S jack to lift my R18 Classic as well. But it appears I'll need a bracket such as the Kern-Stabi to allow me to lift the bike safely for oil changes and other maintenance. Sigh...

I don't want to damage the R18 when lifting it. Is the Kern-Stabi the only game in town or is there a workaround? Thanks!

I found the video by @Scott Semone really helpful. But before I order a Kern-Stabi lift, I wonder if anyone has yet developed a less expensive alternative?

I recently acquired a well-maintained J&S motorcycle lift, which I can use to lift my HD Police Electra Glide. Harleys are designed to be easily lifted. I had hoped I'd be able to use the J&S jack to lift my R18 Classic as well. But it appears I'll need a bracket such as the Kern-Stabi to allow me to lift the bike safely for oil changes and other maintenance. Sigh...

I don't want to damage the R18 when lifting it. Is the Kern-Stabi the only game in town or is there a workaround? Thanks!
There’s a string of posts in this thread from Wolle who made a frame that is lifted by another jack. If you’re handy with the steel, could be a win.

not sure if there’s anything off the shelf outside of Kern that is purpose-built for the R18. Some guys have used some scissor or hydro lifts with some mods. I just got the kern and called it good. Costly, but will save me over time.

I had tried a couple of homemade solutions in order to lift my R18 B, all of which didn't feel as stable and as easy to implement as the Kern-Stabi X518; I agree price-wise, I had purchased my X518 used from a forum member who was selling it locally in my area.

After using it for different maintenance task, such as oil & filter, transmission fluid change, cleaning the wheels, etc. as well as providing an upright storage solution that is super easy to install, implement, breakdown and remove; it's one of the best investments I've spent towards my R18 B... which I have no plans of ever selling, as I'm super happy with the Model B.

For me.. it was well spent money that continues to pay for itself over-&-over from a self maintenance standpoint...

I had tried a couple of homemade solutions in order to lift my R18 B, all of which didn't feel as stable and as easy to implement as the Kern-Stabi X518; I agree price-wise, I had purchased my X518 used from a forum member who was selling it locally in my area.

After using it for different maintenance task, such as oil & filter, transmission fluid change, cleaning the wheels, etc. as well as providing an upright storage solution that is super easy to install, implement, breakdown and remove; it's one of the best investments I've spent towards my R18 B... which I have no plans of ever selling, as I'm super happy with the Model B.

For me.. it was well spent money that continues to pay for itself over-&-over from a self maintenance standpoint...
I agree with you. The initial outlay may be a bit higher than other solutions but in the long run it will pay for itself many times over.

Merry Christmas Scott
Can you send the link for that lift
Thanks

Kern-Stabi details

It's not really hard to make your own.

Attachments

• Kern-Stabi Hefframe BMW R18 - X518 Adapter.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back