Jack/Lift for the R18?

• Thread starter Deleted member 770
  • Start date
Just received my jack from Hornrig - I went for the basic two wheeled one as I'll use it in conjunction with my JS jack .....

I only received one pin to go under the engine .. i this right ? I would have assumed I would get two ?

Thanks

***** EDIT ***** just seen above you only get one which is a little poor IMO - ordered a 2nd

Just received my jack from Hornrig - I went for the basic two wheeled one as I'll use it in conjunction with my JS jack .....

I only received one pin to go under the engine .. i this right ? I would have assumed I would get two ?

Thanks

***** EDIT ***** just seen above you only get one which is a little poor IMO - ordered a 2nd
Yeah, just the single pin, which is a little odd. Seems to work fine though. I’ve seen guys just thread a regular bolt on the other side to give the other mount point something to slide over. Since the other side doesn’t need to “click”, that’s probably a good-enough solution for most.

Reactions: SPR
Yeah, just the single pin, which is a little odd. Seems to work fine though. I’ve seen guys just thread a regular bolt on the other side to give the other mount point something to slide over. Since the other side doesn’t need to “click”, that’s probably a good-enough solution for most.
A single coupling PIN is correct; use lock tight if you're going to leave it permanently mounted... I lost my PIN during a 4 hr ride out to the very tip of Long Island for a fishing trip.

I purchased two PIN, where I permanently mounted both them; I'm thinking of removing the Left Hand Side PIN, as having two PINs vs one, makes getting the lift on and or off a little difficult at times.

Only the one coupling PIN is necessary, as it helps to properly align the resting points when the rear eyelet is attached correctly, and the PIN is secure; you'll see that the engine case is a flat surface where the X518 can rest securely.

My experience.... Only one PIN is necessary

I also received Kern Stabi a couple of weeks ago. I found out that if you use the included rubber block under the bike side stand, it is hard to line up the device with the pin - I had to get under the bike and lift the other side so the pin could slide in. However, with the side stand sitting directly on the floor, it is much easy to slide up the device and have the pin click in. After that, it was easy to lift the bike. Just keep in mind that you will need to really hold onto the lever when you bring it down, since there's a lot of weight on it.

BTW, the included knee pad was a nice touch and very useful!

Reactions: SPR
Wow!! T/C minus rear compartment... Was it hard to remove? I heard it takes the BWM tech 2 hrs to remove.
It takes about 20 mins or so. Only 4 bolts but you have to take your bags off to get to them. Really easy. I run without it on when just bumping around town. I put it back on when taking trips. You get a warning with it off that there's a problem with your brake light but then it goes away. That's because it's looking for it and it's not connected. Other than that everythings ill works. I have heard ppl say that the cruise control doesn't work and other things malfunction but that isn't true.

A single coupling PIN is correct; use lock tight if you're going to leave it permanently mounted... I lost my PIN during a 4 hr ride out to the very tip of Long Island for a fishing trip.

I purchased two PIN, where I permanently mounted both them; I'm thinking of removing the Left Hand Side PIN, as having two PINs vs one, makes getting the lift on and or off a little difficult at times.

Only the one coupling PIN is necessary, as it helps to properly align the resting points when the rear eyelet is attached correctly, and the PIN is secure; you'll see that the engine case is a flat surface where the X518 can rest securely.

My experience.... Only one PIN is necessary
I’ve moved to just putting the pin in and out as I need the stand. Saves any concern of it falling off the bike. But I guess opens the concern that you gotta remember where you put it.

It takes about 20 mins or so. Only 4 bolts but you have to take your bags off to get to them. Really easy. I run without it on when just bumping around town. I put it back on when taking trips. You get a warning with it off that there's a problem with your brake light but then it goes away. That's because it's looking for it and it's not connected. Other than that everythings ill works. I have heard ppl say that the cruise control doesn't work and other things malfunction but that isn't true.
Had wondered about whether there’d be a warning with the bike looking for voltage for those rear lights.

Was in another thread where we wished there was an easy-on easy-off add on option with the top case for the baggers. Part by part, it’s like a $6000 price tag to get an OEM top case (that, as of now, I don’t think can be wired in properly to the B). Would love a modular plug and play option, but I can see bmw feeling that it might cannibalize sales of the TC in favor of the cheaper (albeit slightly less feature-rich) B.

Had wondered about whether there’d be a warning with the bike looking for voltage for those rear lights.

Was in another thread where we wished there was an easy-on easy-off add on option with the top case for the baggers. Part by part, it’s like a $6000 price tag to get an OEM top case (that, as of now, I don’t think can be wired in properly to the B). Would love a modular plug and play option, but I can see bmw feeling that it might cannibalize sales of the TC in favor of the cheaper (albeit slightly less feature-rich) B.
There are 2 empty plugs under the bagger seat for the top case but I hear you have to get BMW to program in the brake lights and the speakers but that does make sense now that Catt states that he gets a brake light problem when taking his case off

There are 2 empty plugs under the bagger seat for the top case but I hear you have to get BMW to program in the brake lights and the speakers but that does make sense now that Catt states that he gets a brake light problem when taking his case off
Hmmm, I wonder if it’s that easy. There was a guy here, Adam Chandler, who added a box and seemed to have all sorts of fuss getting the thing to work on the B.

Unless I could find someone selling their TC box, I’m out of that game. Ill stick with my biltwell bag strapped to by passenger backrest and call it good!

Been to BMW and there is no program to turn the case plugs off and on. There was a guy that cut the harness and did something but I'm not cutting my harness. It flashes a brake lite warning and goes off. I don't even notice it now and I have had mine for almost a year. Makes a difference bumping around town without 80lbs.

I bought a lift a few years ago.
I don’t know what I was thinking waiting this long.
I agree ... friends have them and it is so much easier on the old knees ... but all the ones I had been looking at were either reasonably priced (and looked not so sturdy) or were really spendy .. this one looks good and judging by the name of the distributer ... it might be reasonably priced ;)

Back