Keyless start problems and new Mustang/BMW seat

I installed a BMW/Mustang saddle on my 2021 R18 First Edition to replace the hard-board that BMW stocks the bike with. Since then I have had problems with key fob connectivity - mostly the multifunction indicator shows a momentary search for the key fob (red LED/horizontal lines), but on 4 occasions it could not find the fob at all and as a result, it failed to self check/wouldn't allow an engine start. Each time I laid the key on the seat (radio receiver is under the seat) and got the bike to recognize the fob.

I never had this issue with the stock seat - wondering if the slightly additional cushioning has caused uissues for others?

It's the only thing I can think of - the fob was in my lower jacket pocket each time - where I have always kept it. I got no indication of a weak battery in the fob either - but I did replace the fob battery just in case. No change.

Bike is still functional but a bit disappointing.

Seat however is well worth the $$ spent...

Mustang Day Rider seat, and I have never had any problems with either the fob or using the plastic key through the seat.

Mr Moby_1851 have you considered replacing the battery with a fresh one? Perhaps it is weak-ish? Hope you can get this remedied, please do let us know. Cheers.

Mr Moby_1851 have you considered replacing the battery with a fresh one? Perhaps it is weak-ish? Hope you can get this remedied, please do let us know. Cheers.
Yes - first thing I did. Never got the weak battery indicator but I put a new battery in an it made no difference. In fact now I usually have to hit the ignition switch 2-3 x before it recognizes the key and while driving I get an intermittent warning ⚠️ with a key icon and a question mark. Ended up sucking it up and buying a new fob - will take a few weeks but hopefully it doesn’t have the same issues

Also curious if anyone gets a small flash of the red led before the bike self checks. Usually I get nothing but the red led until I hit it 3x. In good moments I get a brief flash of red and then it goes right into self check and I can fire it up

I tell ya, my 2014 Honda Valkyrie 1800 has a standard key ignition...Works perfectly everytime. This FOB nonsense is just superfluous banter..wtf.. What the fk is wrong with a damn key???

I tell ya, my 2014 Honda Valkyrie 1800 has a standard key ignition...Works perfectly everytime. This FOB nonsense is just superfluous banter..wtf.. What the fk is wrong with a damn key???
I’m with ya. Love the r18. Hate the fob. Wish it had a key. Doesn’t so I have to figure this out

Maybe check the antenna cable that is connected to the loop antenna located under the seat, check to see if maybe the new seat crushed or pinched the antenna cable; the antenna cable is probably a coaxial cable, any sharp bends, flat crushed patterns and such will create an impedance mismatch to the circuit, which will reduce any RF signal being received or transmitted.

I have to assume a FOB ignition is cheaper then a keyed ignition? If not, what's the point?
Anti theft. Physical switches are easy to bypass and since there are no door locks like a car, many bikes that use keyed ignitions only take about 45 seconds to bypass with the right tool in a person's pocket.

Maybe check the antenna cable that is connected to the loop antenna located under the seat, check to see if maybe the new seat crushed or pinched the antenna cable; the antenna cable is probably a coaxial cable, any sharp bends, flat crushed patterns and such will create an impedance mismatch to the circuit, which will reduce any RF signal being received or transmitted.
great idea. I have to yank the seat (I think) to wake up the new key fob I just got in the mail. If the new fob doesnt help OR I dont find an issue like you note, then next step is to get the loop antenna replaced

I had posted this in another Key FOB issue - perhaps its worth considering:

I looked up the FCC ID on my key FOB and found the FCC report; it's a pretty complex security system, which uses a bunch of RF frequencies within the controller and the KEY FOB.

Perhaps there is something that is causing interference between the Controller and KEY FOB; I've personally seen a Motion Sensor Flood Light cause enough RF interference, which affected folks from being able to LOCK or UNLOCK their vehicles using their wireless OEM Key FOB, if parked within 500' to 700' of their neighbor's garage (Flood Light was mounted high up and center of the garage door).

i.e. There's a stretch of highway on RT. 17 in NJ, where I lose the navigation map view on my R18 B briefly, every single time I pass through that particular area; I'm sure that there is some rouge Wi-Fi emitter in the area which is interfering with the Wi-Fi link between my phone and the TFT Infotainment system on my bike.

Questions:
  1. Does the problem only seem to rear its ugly head at specific places, locations or when riding alongside with other friends?
    • Maybe something installed on your buddy's bike?
  2. Is there anything that you recently installed on your bike, especially anything that required 12 V power?
    • GPS, L.E.D. Lights, DASH Camera, Bluetooth Sound system, etc.
  3. Is there anything new that you introduced on your person?
    • Wireless Helmet Blue-Tooth Speaker-Microphone, Body Camera, etc.
See Below the Technical details, maybe it will help troubleshoot this problem:
1684010866749.png

Anti theft. Physical switches are easy to bypass and since there are no door locks like a car, many bikes that use keyed ignitions only take about 45 seconds to bypass with the right tool in a person's pocket.
Keyed ignitions have immobilizers, are you saying it'll take 45 seconds to bypass those?

Keyed ignitions have immobilizers, are you saying it'll take 45 seconds to bypass those?
Of course not. I have seen that in cars, but not motorcycles. It's possible there are motorcycles with keyed ignitions that have immobilizers in the keys, but I'm not aware of any. BMW, Harley and Indian all went from standard keys to keyless fobs as far as I am aware. Maybe the Goldwing or something had a key with an immobilizer, but most Japanese bikes I have seen still use standard unchipped keys.

Back