Lifting Wheels For Maintenance and Detailing

How is everyone lifting the wheels odd the ground for maintenance/detail? I just purchased a R18 100 Year Edition last week and tried to lift the wheels off the ground using my motorcycle jack, but the frame is not the lowest point, so a regular motorcycle jack will not work.

Thanks!

I park the bike upright in a front wheel chock (bolted to the concrete floor btw) then slide a Liftmaster scissor jack under the rear subframe and place the two rubberised cups on the frame and wind her up. Absolutely rock solid. Easy. Can spin the rear wheel no problems.

Regarding getting the front wheel up aswell I confess I would have to go to Plan B and get my wife involved to sit on the bike and hold it upright for me while I used the same scissor jack under the rear subframe to lift the rear. Once set and secure I could use my front wheel paddock stand to lift that up. More of a faff but very do-able.

If the bike wasn’t so heavy and had some natural grabbing points I would do this myself but tbh, it’s not worth the risk of it falling over on me.

IMG_1290.jpeg

I park the bike upright in a front wheel chock (bolted to the concrete floor btw) then slide a Liftmaster scissor jack under the rear subframe and place the two rubberised cups on the frame and wind her up. Absolutely rock solid. Easy. Can spin the rear wheel no problems.

Regarding getting the front wheel up aswell I confess I would have to go to Plan B and get my wife involved to sit on the bike and hold it upright for me while I used the same scissor jack under the rear subframe to lift the rear. Once set and secure I could use my front wheel paddock stand to lift that up. More of a faff but very do-able.

If the bike wasn’t so heavy and had some natural grabbing points I would do this myself but tbh, it’s not worth the risk of it falling over on me.

View attachment 10248
Thanks for the tip with the 'Liftmaster' Rufus, that looks good ... and I checked it is very reasonable, much appreciated!

Are you in the United States? If so, how did you place the order? I tried ordering, but United States is not listed in the Country drop-down list.
No I’m in the UK. Got hit hard with import duties as well :rolleyes: try contacting them as I’m sure they could ship to US. Might cost a bit as it’s a heavy duty bit of kit :oops:

No I’m in the UK. Got hit hard with import duties as well :rolleyes: try contacting them as I’m sure they could ship to US. Might cost a bit as it’s a heavy duty bit of kit :oops:
Word to the wise. For anyone (in the UK) thinking about ordering from overseas last time I looked the import limit was approx £130. So below that you are ok but go above and it can really sting. That’s why some companies no longer post here because it’s just not worth their while or the hassle. Best to double check before you commit. The Liftmaster stands I use are (I believe) an American make but cost around £58 which I think was great value for the quality of the product.

I welded up one of these.....

20230510_122411.jpg

It fits on the rear exhaust hangers....Used trolley jack to lift rear of bike.... front wheel is in one of these floor mou ted holders as per this photo....

20230528_160917.jpg

So doesn't tip.... anyway... need to do some fork work now.... so took the above and added to it to make one of these....

20230602_114643.jpg

This lifts the rear and steadies bike.... then use trolley jack under the front of it to then lift front.... the Kern-Stabi X518s are about $750 here (Australia).... mine was $50... but a day in the shed being a boy.

How is everyone lifting the wheels odd the ground for maintenance/detail? I just purchased a R18 100 Year Edition last week and tried to lift the wheels off the ground using my motorcycle jack, but the frame is not the lowest point, so a regular motorcycle jack will not work.

Thanks!
If you have a standard floor jack you can get each wheel off the ground for cleaning and maintenance.

Thread 'Floor Jack'
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/floor-jack.2240/

Try reaching out to the folks in the below thread; they shipped the Jekyll & Hyde adapter for my Kern-Stabi to my home in NJ:

Here you can always find the currently available shipping options, pricing and the estimated delivery times:
Here you can find our interactive dealers map:
Here you will find our online shop:

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Ihr Hornig-Team

Motorradzubehör Hornig GmbH

Gewerbepark Chammünster Nord C5

93413 Cham

Germany

Geschäftsführer: Hornig Helmut

Regensburg HRB 10330

Ust.Id.Nr. DE251397246

Tel: +49 (0)9971 99 66 10

Fax: +49 (0)9971 99 66 110