My Beach Bar installation

Beach bars look really good. Your hard work has definitely paid off.
You’ve added an attachment to control cluster on the throttle side - what is it?

Thanks, I am going to see if I can order one
It is a billet item that uses the OEM inner assembly from the stock cap. You only need a C-clip pliers to remove and install the insert.
There are knock-offs from China on eBay but they don’t look that great in the pictures. The RSD cap is very well made.

Well the bar installation is complete. I initially installed them using the stock risers which I had powder painted black. But they were too high and brought the bars further back which wasn't necessary. I want to add the BMW accessory low risers but in the meantime I found a set on eBay for $30 that matches the Roland Sands machined accessories pretty well.
I am so glad I went through the trouble of routing the wire harnesses internally. If I hadn't it would have bothered me forever.

Hans sent me an email while I was on vacation to let me know my seat had shipped so I'm awaiting it's arrival.

I am very interested in finding out what the process was that Gr8adv used to gut his stock exhaust. That will be my next project before the spring riding season commences here in the Midwest.

View attachment 4468View attachment 4469View attachment 4470View attachment 4471
That looks great. How do your wrists rate them?

I have typically had a love-hate affair with beach bars. I love how they look, but I hate them for the wrist fatigue they cause. I have recently installed a set of Klock-Werks prairie bars on my Chief Vintage, which removed part of the inherent beach-bar-wrist-contortion, but I had to drop the bar-ends to the point where they interfere with my knees in tight turns.
Prairie vs Beach 0.jpg
Prairies installed, beach bars laid on top - this set on an Indian Chief
(photo from an Indian Forum)

pbride_48pwyjwpikthjpsf.jpg 06013130b_e40cb31d6620ebc200ca4c0169b4090529ee3def.jpg
Wrists still bent too far forward, even with the prairie bars - you will feel it after an hour out. And you will want to bin them by the time you get home or...
(photos from Klock-Weks website)

pbars_bigd4web_jlxty7fj7drrj7if.jpg 1645681720240.png
...you need to adjust the ends down
(photos from Klock-Werks website as well (left) and from the net (right))

IMG_2110.JPG
This is the sweet spot I now have prairie bars set to on my Chief Vintage. Except that I still need to open my knees to allow the bar-ends through in tight corners. Not necessarily a show stopper unless you own several bikes and forget about it (-:

If you buy beach bars for a Harley, you can shop pull-back, rise and overall width, never mind top brands like Burly, Klock, LA Choppers, Wild 1, etc. This is new ground for BMW, and LMC. And we are financing their training costs.

That looks great. How do your wrists rate them?

I have typically had a love-hate affair with beach bars. I love how they look, but I hate them for the wrist fatigue they cause. I have recently installed a set of Klock-Werks prairie bars on my Chief Vintage, which removed part of the inherent beach-bar-wrist-contortion, but I had to drop the bar-ends to the point where they interfere with my knees in tight turns.
View attachment 4477
Prairies installed, beach bars laid on top - this set on an Indian Chief
(photo from an Indian Forum)

View attachment 4478 View attachment 4481
Wrists still bent too far forward, even with the prairie bars - you will feel it after an hour out. And you will want to bin them by the time you get home or...
(photos from Klock-Weks website)

View attachment 4479 View attachment 4482
...you need to adjust the ends down
(photos from Klock-Werks website as well (left) and from the net (right))

View attachment 4480
This is the sweet spot I now have prairie bars set to on my Chief Vintage. Except that I still need to open my knees to allow the bar-ends through in tight corners. Not necessarily a show stopper unless you own several bikes and forget about it (-:

If you buy beach bars for a Harley, you can shop pull-back, rise and overall width, never mind top brands like Burly, Klock, LA Choppers, Wild 1, etc. This is new ground for BMW, and LMC. And we are financing their training costs.
I had beach bars on my Yamaha Roadliner and rode that bike all over the country for 11 years. I absolutely loved the comfort on the road. 500-800 mile days were not unusual on our rides out west. In fact I almost purchased a Springfield rather than my Roadmaster just so I could install the Prairie bars.
I won’t get the final height set until I get it out on the road for a few miles. But with snow and ice storms that’s going to have to wait.

Back