Oil Level ???

Look I am tired of the bullshit you are giving me Please read what I have said. I was not able to see any oil in the sight glass, this is not my first ride, got it ! ! !
Ok. If you can’t see any oil when the engine is warm and has been sitting for a couple minutes and is vertical, you need to add oil until it reaches the middle of the easy to read glass window.

I guess people are having a tough time figuring out your problem as your initial post was considerably vague.

Also they may be wondering if you have a special problem (out of the normal) because a 5 second google of “how to read oil level on a bmw” would likely lead to 5000 hits and 20 videos.

Look I am tired of the bullshit you are giving me Please read what I have said. I was not able to see any oil in the sight glass, this is not my first ride, got it ! ! !
engine warm after a ride, turned off and given 5 minutes for the oil to settle. sit on the bike and hold it reasonably upright/level and then simply reach down with your cell phone and take a photo and/or run short video to show sight glass. If all of this shows oil anywhere within the Bulls Eye your oil level is fine. If you can not see any oil you will need to add some. It takes very little to go from bottom to the top so only add 200 +/- ml at a time so as not to overfill.

Last edited:
Thank you so much... Yesterday I worked on it for around 2 hours no oil in the glass at ALL not a drop... Went out a few minutes ago, it had been sitting over night the oil was half way between the bottom and top of the window, problem solved it needs to rest over night in a vertical position..... I can rest tonight !! !!

Thank you so much... Yesterday I worked on it for around 2 hours no oil in the glass at ALL not a drop... Went out a few minutes ago, it had been sitting over night the oil was half way between the bottom and top of the window, problem solved it needs to rest over night in a vertical position..... I can rest tonight !! !!
The oil needs to be hot to get a accurate reading.

engine warm after a ride, turned off and given 5 minutes for the oil to settle. sit on the bike and hold it reasonably upright/level and then simply reach down with your cell phone and take a photo and/or run short video to show sight glass. If all of this shows oil anywhere within the Bulls Eye your oil level is fine. If you can not see any oil you will need to add some. It takes very little to go from bottom to the top so only add 200 +/- ml at a time so as not to overfill.
Thank you but with my bike it needs a good LONG rest, no checking on a ride at a service station, that is for sure....

Ok. If you can’t see any oil when the engine is warm and has been sitting for a couple minutes and is vertical, you need to add oil until it reaches the middle of the easy to read glass window.

I guess people are having a tough time figuring out your problem as your initial post was considerably vague.

Also they may be wondering if you have a special problem (out of the normal) because a 5 second google of “how to read oil level on a bmw” would likely lead to 5000 hits and 20 videos.
Actually the first hit for BMW R18 oil level is the on line BMW Owners Manual so it's a RTFM issue as most things are.

I can tell you I have read the manual. Folks say I can not see the oil due to my age, BS, I see fine. You will not see the oil hot on mine as it needs hours to settle.... jp

Thank you but with my bike it needs a good LONG rest, no checking on a ride at a service station, that is for sure....

I can't picture why your bike needs a longer rest than any other, but there are serious issues if you need to check it at every gas fill up. I don't run a stop watch and I know if I stay on the bike to get gas I am shy of "5 minutes", but there are many times I stop to have a bottle of water or make a pit stop, etc., and if I felt the need I could easily check the oil knowing 5+ minutes had passed. I usually do it after a ride and I wait until after I change out of my gear, wipe off the dead bugs and know the pipes are cooled enough to allow placing my dust cover on her. It takes a few seconds to check the oil.

Good luck.

I can't picture why your bike needs a longer rest than any other, but there are serious issues if you need to check it at every gas fill up. I don't run a stop watch and I know if I stay on the bike to get gas I am shy of "5 minutes", but there are many times I stop to have a bottle of water or make a pit stop, etc., and if I felt the need I could easily check the oil knowing 5+ minutes had passed. I usually do it after a ride and I wait until after I change out of my gear, wipe off the dead bugs and know the pipes are cooled enough to allow placing my dust cover on her. It takes a few seconds to check the oil.

Good luck.
I am at this time no longer worried about my bike out of oil, but really would like to know why it takes so long for it to sit before the oil shows up, one hour is not enough or at least yesterday it was not long enough.... jp

i use an old honda mirror to view the sight glass, with enough light it's pretty easily visible or with a little practice can hold a penlight in same hand... been doing that for over 20 years.... phone cam sounds like a great method too...

Last edited:
Here is the problem, nothing shows in the sight window PERIOD, on center or side stand, I have chock and it makes no difference. I can start the engine and still no activity in the window, NADA like it has no oil at all.... For me this is scary....
If you are doing this after the bike has been able to settle the oil after shutting it down for 5 minutes, it looks like you are low on oil. I park my bike on a wheel chock, so it’s always setup for me to check the oil easily.

Back