Oil Temp Gauge

Does anyone make an oil temperature gauge for the R18? Seems to me that knowing oil temp, particularly here in Florida is important. IMHO having that as opposed to the "power meter" on the dash of the TC would make better sense.

Does anyone make an oil temperature gauge for the R18? Seems to me that knowing oil temp, particularly here in Florida is important. IMHO having that as opposed to the "power meter" on the dash of the TC would make better sense.
Wow, what you say I totally, agree with, who needs a silly power meter ??? Is that what BMW gets for hiring men with a PHD in engineering ????

Wow, what you say I totally, agree with, who needs a silly power meter ??? Is that what BMW gets for hiring men with a PHD in engineering ????
Who knows. But if you think about it that gauge does not serve their product well.. I have never looked at it and said to myself "wow, that's great". What I usually think is "wow, that's all that is left!" Seriously however if anyone runs across an oil temp gauge for this bike please share the info.

Someone postd a similar post on the IMC forum.So I will share my point of view and in fun/not to flame:
I am nutz enough.I live in Arizona and the last thing I need ia a oil temp gauge,LOL.None of my bikes have ever overheated(100-118 degrees).Plus they are tuned and the afr is in a better range which does cool the bike.
Last funny:Not sure what I would do if I could look at a oil temp gauge?
1)worry
2)think what to do
3)stop riding
4)ride faster
5)buy a convertable or 2 wheeled car(goldwing,which doesent have a oil temp gauge)

Good luck with the search.I hope you don't find one,;).

Someone postd a similar post on the IMC forum.So I will share my point of view and in fun/not to flame:
I am nutz enough.I live in Arizona and the last thing I need ia a oil temp gauge,LOL.None of my bikes have ever overheated(100-118 degrees).Plus they are tuned and the afr is in a better range which does cool the bike.
Last funny:Not sure what I would do if I could look at a oil temp gauge?
1)worry
2)think what to do
3)stop riding
4)ride faster
5)buy a convertable or 2 wheeled car(goldwing,which doesent have a oil temp gauge)

Good luck with the search.I hope you don't find one,;).
I understand your point... My concern comes from experience. Years ago I enrolled in the intermediate motorcycle safety course up in New Jersey. I rode my basically new Harley Road King. I'm doing the exercises as instructed, the bike idling all the time. Toward the afternoon I see smoke going by so I look around to see where it was coming from....guess what, it was from my Road King. Long story short a motor tear down was in order. The rings were shot, you could twist them like pretzels...

I've tried convertibles in Phoenix, no thanks! As for Goldwings they have a coolant temp gauge which you watch rise (which they really do) as they come close to overheating in traffic...been there done that too!

I guess my point is that it is always better to know what is going on in your motor than not.... Be safe out there in AZ. As I recall from my visits (to Phoenix) it gets hotter than hell in the valley and there are some pretty bad drivers out there!

btw,your bike unlike HD is oil and air cooled.HD air cooled.HD has a oil coolers but the oil to the heads on a BMW(&Indian MC)is pressurised.50 lbs and also has a safety net built in to the ecu that will put the bike in limp mode.
Besides,like you said,Bad drivers everywhere:)
I keep my eyes on the road and don't need a oil temp distraction.
Seriouslt though.The design of the boxer with the jugs sticking out like wings really allows the bike to run cooler.
Just enjoy the 3 year warranty and your new ride.
btw,Really nice bike and love the color.
If you need a name for her:Black Betty is a good one.
Good day to you.

Given that some forum members have gotten an engine temp warning to shut off their R18, an oil temp gauge seems to be a reasonable idea. I'd like to be informed of a temperature rise before an engine temp warning comes on.

I'm not the worrying kind, but to me a temp gauge seems to be a normal thing to have on a combustion engine.

I might get some hate for this but...I might be the ONLY R18 owner who actually LIKES the power meter!

Why? Because it measures engine load.

Why is that important to me? Because it tells me how stressed the engine is, and how likely the engine is to burn oil (i.e. extra PSI in the cylinders to allow blow by to occur). I use it as a "tattletale" to remind me if I'm in too low a gear on an incline, for example. As a result, I like to keep my power meter generally no less than 50% sustained if I can help it, although during revs it obviously dips.

It goes back to me pulling 5th wheels in my diesel F350. I'd keep my eye on my ScanGauge engine load meter to also monitor the engine stress while climbing mountain ranges. This would give me a clue as to timed pull-overs, or slower speeds in higher gear if necessary.

BUT...all that said, I also 100% agree that our bikes need an oil temp gauge!

Mike

Mine doesn't need a oil temp gauge.
Maybe a oil pressure gauge but not a oil temp gauge.
But,hell.To each his own.If there is a engineered motorcycle out there that comes with a oil temp gauge please post.I have 4 motorcycles and none of them have a oil temp gauges.2 bikes are air/oil cooled 2 are water pumpers & none of them have ever overheated.
Just to add a side note.
I change my oil every 2500 to 3000 miles.Even on a east to west coast trip,I change the oil at a friends house or buy the drain pan at Autozone and they will take the old oil off your hands.Best maintiance anyone can do.Not a oil thread but I use very good oil.Never had a oil burner.
95,000 on my 2014 Chieftain(1st year polaris Indian)when I traded it in.Never overheated or used oil.
Last,I am 73 and been riding since 1966.Never had a bike over heat.Of course,I never had a oil temp gauge either,LOL!
After I retired my friend hired me to help me at his new dealership.He is the GM @ Indian Motorcycle in NW Arkansas.Short story:
We had a customer start his 111 Thunderstroke one winter day,just to run it a bit during the cold weather.He left it in the garage and forgot about it. The bike got so hot that it melted all the rubber hoses and plastic parts till it quit running.Kinda suprised it did not catch fire.Anyway,the bike was trailered to the shop to have all the fried parts replaced.The bike still ran like new.No oil consumption or loss of power.Nutz huh?

Last edited by a moderator:
My R1200RT had a digital one. In really slow traffic I could see it rise a bit. The R1200RT-P had an oil cooling fan, presumably for idling by the road side.
Interesting,I wonder if it was from the police version of that model?
I know a digital oil temp dip stick could be purchased for HDs but never saw a factory engineered gauge from the manufacturer.
Thx for the info.
TK

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting,I wonder if it was from the police version of that model?
I bought the R1200RT new in 2005 and it was delivered with an OEM digital oil temp gauge. Perhaps it was part of some package along with cruise control etc. The oil cooling fan was only on the police model.

I'd think that many modern BMW motorcycles have an oil temp gauge, but it's my guess since the R1200RT is the only BMW I've owned besides the R18.

I read this a long time ago.

Nobody worried about the temp of a BMW until they put a gauge on it. :)

I had a 2000 RT with a temp gauge. I had to shut it off in stop and go traffic. It cooled quickly. One minute would help.
I have an R1200R Camhead with a temp gauge. Its never been over one bar warmer in 75,000 miles.

My R18 sounds like it lost its oil prime when I start it really hot. A gauge would be great.

David

My BMW E92 did not come with an oil temperature or pressure gauge but I am sure there were a few sensors that monitored the temperature in the background and would alert you somehow if things were starting to boil. I reckon the R18 will do just that before it becomes critical that you stop and cool things down.
I agree that an engine temperature gauge would have been better option than a power reserve but then again, I never had a power reserve on any vehicle so I guess now (if it is accurate) I know how much torque/hp I have left if I need to make a last minute decision.
I would not have asked for it but now that I have it I will learn to use it. If life gives you lemons, learn to make mojitos 😂😂😂

Not sure whether this is helpful - but maybe there's something in there for you...
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/engine-temperature.1951/

As I read the manual, it seems there is supposed to be a "Setting", that is activated correctly, will show engine temp.

I still don't have it, or a satisfactory answer from BMW
Ohh, I do love a challenge once in a while. I will have a play over the weekend and see what I can find on the B. I know that in my old E92 you could do a mod with the computer to display oil temperature but it was rather complicated and I did not want to mess around with things. These parameters are checked on the background as part of the self diagnosing but BMW did not think it was necessary to display it. The same will be on the R18.
One thing I also noticed when I rode my bike home from the dealership is what R12 R18TC mentioned on his post. The bike did not go tick tick tick as the metal parts, especially the exhaust, was cooling off and contracting which led me to arrive to his same conclusion, the bike runs cooler.

Back