Oil Temp Gauge

btw,your bike unlike HD is oil and air cooled.HD air cooled.HD has a oil coolers but the oil to the heads on a BMW(&Indian MC)is pressurised.50 lbs and also has a safety net built in to the ecu that will put the bike in limp mode.
Besides,like you said,Bad drivers everywhere:)
I keep my eyes on the road and don't need a oil temp distraction.
Seriouslt though.The design of the boxer with the jugs sticking out like wings really allows the bike to run cooler.
Just enjoy the 3 year warranty and your new ride.
btw,Really nice bike and love the color.
If you need a name for her:Black Betty is a good one.
Good day to you.
So I ask the question IF our BMW bikes have a safety net built in to notify us how is the bike receiving this information? My guess would be that oil temp or engine temp is being monitored in some way in the background. IF that is the case then there has to be a way to access that information. 🤔 Wishing I was an electronics wizard. Unfortunately not the case. I can figure out just about anything mechanical given enough time but electronics are a foreign language to me. I know there are some downright genius level electronics gurus in this forum. Someone will eventually come up with something.

I might get some hate for this but...I might be the ONLY R18 owner who actually LIKES the power meter!

Why? Because it measures engine load.

Why is that important to me? Because it tells me how stressed the engine is, and how likely the engine is to burn oil (i.e. extra PSI in the cylinders to allow blow by to occur). I use it as a "tattletale" to remind me if I'm in too low a gear on an incline, for example. As a result, I like to keep my power meter generally no less than 50% sustained if I can help it, although during revs it obviously dips.

It goes back to me pulling 5th wheels in my diesel F350. I'd keep my eye on my ScanGauge engine load meter to also monitor the engine stress while climbing mountain ranges. This would give me a clue as to timed pull-overs, or slower speeds in higher gear if necessary.

BUT...all that said, I also 100% agree that our bikes need an oil temp gauge!

Mike
I keep Scan Gauges in all my VW TDI turbo diesels. Used my Touareg to tow a 3300# 21 ft travel trailer. It's a very handy monitoring device to have, also tells me when I am in the middle of a Diesel Particulate Filter regeneration... a 20 to 30 minute process where the engine really shouldn't be shut down, until the process is completed.

Back