Oil under bike!

Just got my R18 classic on Tuesday with 850kms.

Just parked and there is oil under it, it’s clear oil and not very warm. It’s under the mid point of the bike behind the main part of the engine. I don’t think it’s engine oil but surely a bike this new shouldn’t have a leak! It’s like a palm size of oil.

Any ideas what it might be and should I get towed home?
Don't worry about it. Probably dreaming he/she was a Harley 😂

Keep us posted BTW.

Just went down to check it again, small patch under the bike and the little plastic guard under it looks a bit wet. I only got the bike 2 weeks ago so the dealership should be able to fix it, it’s definetly coming from the top of the transmission, just under the seat.

Yikes, this doesn't put much confidence into this bike...thought the BMW quality would have been there from the get go!
I am new to the big boxer so I don't know about the quality yet. But my 2001 R1200c never had a failure of any kind...ever.

I am new to the big boxer so I don't know about the quality yet. But my 2001 R1200c never had a failure of any kind...ever.
This is my third boxer, GSA1200 and an RnineT, both were flawless.

From my frantic searching, I am 99% sure if it from the breather value on the transmission case. You can see the location of it in this pic, which is where the seeping seems to be coming from. Item #2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 2.16.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 2.16.56 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Yikes, this doesn't put much confidence into this bike...thought the BMW quality would have been there from the get go!
BMW quality is the same as anyone elses. Its a new design and they have issues. Now, with this bike, I'm amazed at how poor customer service and parts availability for warranty repairs happen; but with 400,000 plus miles in on a BMW bike, I can tell ya they are not magic, nor more reliable than a Honda or a Harley. If you did not overfill the oil, you had better have them take a look at it. If it is overfilled mighty vac it out.

The dealer called. They will need it for a day to find the route cause, and the soonest they can get me in is July 1st…he doesn’t recommend riding the bike until then…fuck sake. Literally just got the bike

It is disappointing to say the least. I know it is probably something small and silly, but 2.5 weeks to wait after just getting the bike.

I have emailed the sales guy to see if we can either get it in sooner or get me a loaner bike at least.

Good luck, IMO you should be at the Top of The List list to determine if it's a quicky or a very unlikely deep dive.
I really hope it is not a deep dive. Most signs point towards it being from the breather valve on the transmission, but something obviously caused it.

I had been thinking maybe I was being too aggressive on blipping the throttle on downshifting, that may have caused it?

I really hope it is not a deep dive. Most signs point towards it being from the breather valve on the transmission, but something obviously caused it.

I had been thinking maybe I was being too aggressive on blipping the throttle on downshifting, that may have caused it?
I don't do a lot of throttle blipping, but do run up and down the complete RPM range (not lugging nor continually bouncing off the limiter) and use all the available gearing during my rides on our lovely foothills and Appalachian Mountain roads and with just over 6,000 miles the oil level stayed midway in the sight glass, she shifted wonderfully and just kept running better and better. At the 6K service all valves were in spec, but the shop did a great "anal retentive" adjustment to put them all as reasonably close as can be.

With the separate unit construction I can't think of anything you nor any other "test rider" could do via blipping or otherwise that would cause a pressurized transmission that was blowing lubricant out the relief valve. Not that something like a seal couldn't fail and easily be replaced, but I go with KISS for most "new" issues and always, always check what work was recently done. Odd that a good valve with so few miles would suddenly go bad, but easily checked, re torqued with a new seal or replaced if it did fail or maybe someone just had an aw-shit and some oil went where not intended and it wasn't completely cleaned and the ride home with heat and wind allowed it to come out of the nooks and crannies it was hiding in?

This isn't your situation, but I remember on the Triumph forums years ago that new owners would have worries their new bikes were leaking just like the "old" new Triumphs did, but it always turned out that at the time Triumph was shipping bikes with a cosmoline like protectant that was hard to get rid of from all the hiding places until it had a few more washes than what they received during dealer prep. They would ride in the rain or wash their bike and come out to find little puddles of the residue and it was a quick little kick in the nuts until they could confirm it was of no concern.

Anyway, hope they do what's right and get you in sooner than later!

I don't do a lot of throttle blipping, but do run up and down the complete RPM range (not lugging nor continually bouncing off the limiter) and use all the available gearing during my rides on our lovely foothills and Appalachian Mountain roads and with just over 6,000 miles the oil level stayed midway in the sight glass, she shifted wonderfully and just kept running better and better. At the 6K service all valves were in spec, but the shop did a great "anal retentive" adjustment to put them all as reasonably close as can be.

With the separate unit construction I can't think of anything you nor any other "test rider" could do via blipping or otherwise that would cause a pressurized transmission that was blowing lubricant out the relief valve. Not that something like a seal couldn't fail and easily be replaced, but I go with KISS for most "new" issues and always, always check what work was recently done. Odd that a good valve with so few miles would suddenly go bad, but easily checked, re torqued with a new seal or replaced if it did fail or maybe someone just had an aw-shit and some oil went where not intended and it wasn't completely cleaned and the ride home with heat and wind allowed it to come out of the nooks and crannies it was hiding in?

This isn't your situation, but I remember on the Triumph forums years ago that new owners would have worries their new bikes were leaking just like the "old" new Triumphs did, but it always turned out that at the time Triumph was shipping bikes with a cosmoline like protectant that was hard to get rid of from all the hiding places until it had a few more washes than what they received during dealer prep. They would ride in the rain or wash their bike and come out to find little puddles of the residue and it was a quick little kick in the nuts until they could confirm it was of no concern.

Anyway, hope they do what's right and get you in sooner than later!
I hope my theory is right, the bike has just had its break in service, and had 850kms when I got it, so new as it can get for being 2nd hand. And bought through a dealership.

Still no word from the dealer, I hope there is a cancellation soon.

I was half tempted to take the bike around the block a few times to see if the leak/breather valve was still there. It was much less when I rode home after discovering it...but that could be risky.

No oil leak before the service.

Oil shows up on the floor,after the service.

No oil leak before the service.

Oil shows up on the floor,after the service.

Yup, oil showed up about 200kms after the service. But do they change the tranny oil for the very first service?

Yup, oil showed up about 200kms after the service. But do they change the tranny oil for the very first service?
I requested to have all my fluids changed at 600 mile service(1st & Last except for valve clearance,waiting on a manual).
Since the trans and rear end can't be checked,I wanted to getr dunn.
Got the oil leak from the oil fill hole where the service guy did not clean arounf the oil filler plug.Oil leaked all over the underside of the (r) cylinder.

Back