Ok, so how many actually are there out in the wild?

Rufus

Site Supporter
Afternoon. Think we would all agree that the R18, Classic, B and TC have had more than there fair share of ‘haters’. Some people seem to go out of their way to have a dig. It got me thinking. Is it really that bad a seller and if so compared to what? I commented positively upon a YouTube video that was reviewing a R18 the other day and someone (I believe in the USA) piled on straight away. I’m not going to lose any sleep over that but what’s the truth, the reality?

We have an official Government website in the UK, DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) that collates numbers of bikes either taxed on the road or notified off road (not in use). These numbers are from 2023, doesn’t look too shabby to me…..

Taxed / Untaxed (notified not in active use)
R18 334 / 50
R18B 39 / 9
R18 Classic 117 / 7
R18TC 44 / 7

Totals 534 / 73

Now, to my mind, if BMW get their production numbers right moving forward and we avoid oversupply again things may settle down quite well regarding market values. Does anyone have any detail from elsewhere around the world where they live?

Thanks for the numbers Rufus .. I tried 'Googeling' it but I am striking out ... today is a Holiday here, but I will call the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) tomorrow and see if that info is available to the public here in the States.

Now you made me curious ... I know there are only 3 in Southern Oregon ... and I have never even met any on the road.

Afternoon. Think we would all agree that the R18, Classic, B and TC have had more than there fair share of ‘haters’. Some people seem to go out of their way to have a dig. It got me thinking. Is it really that bad a seller and if so compared to what? I commented positively upon a YouTube video that was reviewing a R18 the other day and someone (I believe in the USA) piled on straight away. I’m not going to lose any sleep over that but what’s the truth, the reality?

We have an official Government website in the UK, DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) that collates numbers of bikes either taxed on the road or notified off road (not in use). These numbers are from 2023, doesn’t look too shabby to me…..

R18 334 / 50
R18B 39 / 9
R18 Classic 117 / 7
R18TC 44 / 7

Totals 534 / 73

Now, to my mind, if BMW get their production numbers right moving forward and we avoid oversupply again things may settle down quite well regarding market values. Does anyone have any detail from elsewhere around the world where they live?
Wow,
Only 39 B out there in the whole of the UK.
Must admit, I have never seen another one or a TC for that matter, except the day I rode with the Motorrad dealer and his pal and they were both demo bikes.
Sad to see but maybe that makes them/will make them quite unique.

Wow,
Only 39 B out there in the whole of the UK.
Must admit, I have never seen another one or a TC for that matter, except the day I rode with the Motorrad dealer and his pal and they were both demo bikes.
Sad to see but maybe that makes them/will make them quite unique.
I owned a Moto Guzzi a few years ago that I know (because the dealer confirmed it to me) only 9 were ever imported into the UK. I don’t think these R18 numbers are too bad tbh, it’s an expensive bike, in the ‘big cruiser’ niche of an already small motorcycle marketplace during very difficult economic times.

I owned a Moto Guzzi a few years ago that I know (because the dealer confirmed it to me) only 9 were ever imported into the UK. I don’t think these R18 numbers are too bad tbh, it’s an expensive bike, in the ‘big cruiser’ niche of an already small motorcycle marketplace during very difficult economic times.
Yup, you are 100% right.

R18 334 / 50
R18B 39 / 9
R18 Classic 117 / 7
R18TC 44 / 7

Totals 534 / 73

I'm in California. Just bought a new R18 100 year anniversary model. I've only ridden the damn thing three times.....there are some things I'm not wild about...but overall I like the bike. I would NOT recommend it for a new rider or for a first bike. It's more for someone that want's or is "ready" for this kind of experience. Meanwhile the bike is a piece of artwork on wheels, it's so beautiful I don't care what it rides like....

I’m in California too. The R18B is an awesome riding bike on our winding side roads & six lane highways. The behemoth weight, which is very noticeable when maneuvering around the garage, is an absolute delight on highways (ie. no wind buffeting). So far, the backroads are the best for cruising but no worries when it’s time to get on a highway. The R18B is aesthetically pleasing on the eyes with its classic design, and has historical lineage, that hasn’t gone out of style in 100 years! Yes, it is heavy. Yes, it is pricey. However, if you’re an experienced rider and have the means to buy one, then you’re in rarified territory. Ride it and enjoy it! Cause the haters are always going to hate…

I'm in California. Just bought a new R18 100 year anniversary model. I've only ridden the damn thing three times.....there are some things I'm not wild about...but overall I like the bike. I would NOT recommend it for a new rider or for a first bike. It's more for someone that want's or is "ready" for this kind of experience. Meanwhile the bike is a piece of artwork on wheels, it's so beautiful I don't care what it rides like....
No bike is perfect Randy plus we all like different things. Congrats on the new bike. Theres loads of useful info on this forum and you may be able to dial down some of the things that bother you. Like many on here I’ve been riding a long time and I agree this is not a bike for a newbie really, it’s a lot of bike to manage (size & weight).

I’m in California too. The R18B is an awesome riding bike on our winding side roads & six lane highways. The behemoth weight, which is very noticeable when maneuvering around the garage, is an absolute delight on highways (ie. no wind buffeting). So far, the backroads are the best for cruising but no worries when it’s time to get on a highway. The R18B is aesthetically pleasing on the eyes with its classic design, and has historical lineage, that hasn’t gone out of style in 100 years! Yes, it is heavy. Yes, it is pricey. However, if you’re an experienced rider and have the means to buy one, then you’re in rarified territory. Ride it and enjoy it! Cause the haters are always going to hate…
I am with you there. Yes, she weights a ton and moving her around without any engine power is a bit of a challenge but once the engine is on, you can do all sorts of manoeuvres in relatively small quarters.
Once on the road I think she is agile and nimble taking into consideration what she is.

1. The R18 is a complete sales flop. IMHO the first edition is a gorgeous bike and they basically had to give them away to sell any.
2. Who, in heavens name, cares about market value on a motorcycle? Vehicles are wasting assets and they are worth 0. You buy motorcycles because you love them, not because they have any intrinsic value. The maintenance costs alone on a BMW would eat any value at all :). Buy it, ride it, flog it to death, get a new one.
3. Who, in heaven’s name, cares about what someone says about your bike. I am the only poor sucker in my neck of the woods that owns a first edition and I love my unique bike. I’ve got it loud, rude and a bottomless pit of torque. I haven’t been to a show and shine yet where I didn’t win best import. I ride it fast and if I didn’t want it, I wouldn’t have bought it. I hope they discontinue it tomorrow so I can buy cheap accessories (the homage seat is calling my name)
4. Some of you guys… did you test ride the bike? I test rode the bike 200 miles because no one else wanted to ride it :)… because no one bought them, because its a sales flop. I love it. Love it love it love it… my bike was a piece of junk too, and BMW jerked me around so badly that I won’t buy another… after buying so many BMW motorcycles I can’t count them all. And still, I love my R18.
5. It’s still summer, go out and ride and forget market value and what someone on the internet says about this bike. Go out, put it into a gear lower than where you think you should and pull the loud handle. You will forget about reviews and commentary and sales figures

1. The R18 is a complete sales flop. IMHO the first edition is a gorgeous bike and they basically had to give them away to sell any.
2. Who, in heavens name, cares about market value on a motorcycle? Vehicles are wasting assets and they are worth 0. You buy motorcycles because you love them, not because they have any intrinsic value. The maintenance costs alone on a BMW would eat any value at all :). Buy it, ride it, flog it to death, get a new one.
3. Who, in heaven’s name, cares about what someone says about your bike. I am the only poor sucker in my neck of the woods that owns a first edition and I love my unique bike. I’ve got it loud, rude and a bottomless pit of torque. I haven’t been to a show and shine yet where I didn’t win best import. I ride it fast and if I didn’t want it, I wouldn’t have bought it. I hope they discontinue it tomorrow so I can buy cheap accessories (the homage seat is calling my name)
4. Some of you guys… did you test ride the bike? I test rode the bike 200 miles because no one else wanted to ride it :)… because no one bought them, because its a sales flop. I love it. Love it love it love it… my bike was a piece of junk too, and BMW jerked me around so badly that I won’t buy another… after buying so many BMW motorcycles I can’t count them all. And still, I love my R18.
5. It’s still summer, go out and ride and forget market value and what someone on the internet says about this bike. Go out, put it into a gear lower than where you think you should and pull the loud handle. You will forget about reviews and commentary and sales figures
I completely disagree with you, but then again, you might have been getting your info from unreliable sources. Sales incentives are hardly an indicator of poor sales. In fact, BMW themselves stated that over 20k R18 variant bikes have been sold over the past 2.5 years (as of May 2023), which averages out to approx. 8k bikes per year.

Equate that with the RnineT, which from 2013 to present, has sold ~ 106k units, putting the R18 just 2k shy of the annual RnineT annual sales figures. I'd hardly call that a "complete sales flop".

BMW is very aware they are treading into new (again) waters with the R18 line, thusly I'm confident their executives know sales won't be as robust as say, the GS line, but they have also created some self-inflicted injuries here too, namely:

1. Discontinuing service manual DVD sales to private customers (by far, my BIGGEST gripe!!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 ).
  2. Putting crappy stock seats on any of the R18's, thus requiring owners to upgrade.
  3. Handlebars that don't rake far enough back for most riders (requiring a lot of us to slightly hunch forward).
  4. Non-adjustable windshield on the bagger and transcontinental models.
  5. No Android Auto or Apple CarPlay options.

That said, I have ZERO plans of selling my Alcina. I don't puss out at the first sign of issues and run to another motorcycle brand because of ________ reason(s) like some have.

Mike

Well here are 3 classics together 😂 taken this evening on a little trip out to Turville in Buckinghamshire. Mines the black FE classic and my mate Chris has the Manhattan green and Andy has the white classic. Always turns heads and conversations when out on the R18 😎😎👍

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 45
Where I live - In the land of Oz, it's a much smaller market then either the USA or the UK, and the use of motorcycles is a small subset of that.

As a result, R18's are a rare sight on the road - and I like that - I like that it's not "just another motorcycle".

I didn't buy it for anyone else, but myself - I also didn't buy it for its fuel economy, or it off-road ability, etc, etc, etc

I bought it because I liked it and for me to ride - I know I'm selfish.

All that said, the number of positive comments I get when I'm out on it would suggest I'm not alone in liking it - which my ego enjoys.

When I'd had the bike 3 weeks, one other rider thought I needed his wisdom on what a bad decision I'd made.

I let him go for 10 mins or so, and then told him there were 2 good things we could agree on:
1. Its good I didn't buy him an R18
2. It's good I didn't use his money to buy myself an R18

I then asked him to please not confuse me with someone who gave a "flying F***" what he thought of my bike.

I love my R18 - it may well be the last bike I own (I'm 65), but what a finish!!!

Love my 22 Bagger. Not a great first bike but neither is a GSXR. I think they built something special. The only thing I couldn't live with long term was the short screen and lack of winglets for wind protection. After that, it's a dream. I think it's so nice to look at you get some hate on that end. I wanted a BMW. Grew up looking at all the airheads in the Bay Area (California).

Attachments

• 20230907_231126.jpg
    20230907_231126.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 16
Where I live - In the land of Oz, it's a much smaller market then either the USA or the UK, and the use of motorcycles is a small subset of that.

As a result, R18's are a rare sight on the road - and I like that - I like that it's not "just another motorcycle".

I didn't buy it for anyone else, but myself - I also didn't buy it for its fuel economy, or it off-road ability, etc, etc, etc

All that said, the number of positive comments I get when I'm out on it would suggest I'm not alone in liking it - which my ego enjoys.

When I'd had the bike 3 weeks, one other rider thought I needed his wisdom on what a bad decision I'd made.

I let him go for 10 mins or so, and then told him there were 2 good things we could agree on:

I then asked him to please not confuse me with someone who gave a "flying F***" what he thought of my bike.

I love my R18 - it may well be the last bike I own (I'm 65), but what a finish!!!
Amen 👏👏👏👊

Yes Anibal and OzR18 ... AMEN .. I second that 100% ... This is exactly how I feel. I like mine, I like the fact that there isn't one on every corner ... if the engine is as reliable as my R1200C she will outlive me ... everything else around the bike I can deal with/fix myself. I don't care about the resale value ... I am not planning on selling her. Somebody else can deal with that after the chuck me in a hole ... hopefully by then she will be considered a 'Classic' 😁

My dealer told me that they have sold about 200 R18's. That sounds like decent numbers to me. That said, I bought mine because I loved it and its not like every other Harley on the road. I test rode a Harley to see what all the fuss was about and was not impressed at all. I have got nothing but compliments on my R18, even from Harley riders. I plan on putting many miles on it over the next several years.

Back