Poll about Final Drive (Bevel Gear) Oil Spillage on the rim and tyre

I have oil spillage from the final drive/bevel gear similar to the posted pictures

• Total voters
Dear all,

I want to ask you if you have in the US the same problem of oil spillage of the final drive as in Germany.

On our German Forum we have an opinion poll running and of 33 participants up-to-now 12! have this problem (including me, pictures are from me).

We talk here about a motorbike (although the 9 come from all production years) which is 9 months old, was never driven in rain, only hand-washed (no high pressure), never driven above 80 miles/hour with a milage of 3.000 now. So no special cause to be seen here. Certainly passed the first service at 700 miles.

You see the spillage over the final drive in fine but many lines.
20230604_100208_resized.jpg

which reach the rims
20230604_100214_resized.jpg

and now it becomes dangerous also reaches the tire. When you look closely one line actually reaches already the tread of the tire.
20230604_100148_resized.jpg

Hell, how much to we enjoy oil between tire and asphalt :poop:

I have reported it to the BMW headquarters already.

So what I recommend is that everybody checks his final drive to avoid an accident. Several of our riders said they did not have the problem until they had a close look on the rim and final drive.

What would interest me how many of your bikes are affected as well. Therefore the poll.

Present causes mentioned to drivers from BMW dealers:
- during factory assembly too much grease was put into the final drive which comes out especially during long drive and hot weather
- rust: then typically the shaft seals or the whole bevel gear are changed

Approximately 12,000 miles, no issues with final drive nor any other component on 2021 R18 Classic.

I have this problem. And I don't think it's the final drive oil. (*) I think it is the spline lube.
I never had a problem until I took it in for the "recall" and THEN it started coming out. I took it back in and they re greased it with a smaller amount.
I left on a 6,000 mile trip and it still does it. Also, I've noticed that it is totally a centrifugal force thing because it doesn't come out until I'm riding over 90 mph. I test it as fast as I can go, usually a long stint of 110-115 and there is significant lube that comes out.

(*) NOW... is it really the lube or is it the oil? Well, easy to check (and prove) because I'm about to drain the oil and I am going to get a real good measurement on that. If there's any loss, I am going to have some very serious discussions with BMW about my final drive warranty!

What is spline lube?
BMW Motorrad became aware some R18 models may not have had the mating splines on the drive shafts properly lubricated when assembled at the factory. It was not considered a critical problem in the short term, but they would cover the costs to correct the issue under warranty. On other BMW models the procedure was to "remove" the drive shaft and apply grease to the mating splines when servicing was needed, but with the R-18 models there is a different final drive design and it appears BMW is able to use an aerasol spray lube that delivers the lubricant to the splines without needing to remove the driveshaft to gain access.

I closely inspected mine, and I noticed a slight amount of oil dried near the seam. I have a bit over 6k miles. Is there a recall I should be aware of? Just to make this clear. I bought my first shaft driven Honda in 1983...and then another in 2003... finishing with yet another new Honda in 2015. They were/are perfect bikes, and leaks from the final drive never even entered my mind... Now, wtf... I am concerned. The bike is still under warranty... BMW apparently needs to redesign the seal portion of the drive's halves... That should be a brain dead engineering goal...that is creating a fking shaft drive that doesn't leak.

Last edited:
BMW Motorrad became aware some R18 models may not have had the mating splines on the drive shafts properly lubricated when assembled at the factory. It was not considered a critical problem in the short term, but they would cover the costs to correct the issue under warranty. On other BMW models the procedure was to "remove" the drive shaft and apply grease to the mating splines when servicing was needed, but with the R-18 models there is a different final drive design and it appears BMW is able to use an aerasol spray lube that delivers the lubricant to the splines without needing to remove the driveshaft to gain access.
What does this have to do with the final drive leaking gear oil? I don't understand, please elaborate when you can.

Noticed something like this when cleaning, though I did not think it was oil, more like black dust, I assumed cush drive rubber wear as it wipped off with a damp cloth. I have polled yes though as My initial thoughts may have been wrong. 09/21 bike with 5.5k ml. Due for srevice in two weeks will ask them to look into it.

Just back from a 100ml ride on a hot day in the UK….checked the rear drive and have noticed a faint trace of oil/grease on the casting. The bikes just been into the dealer for its 2nd annual service, I will keep a close eye on it! Not concerned at the moment!

Attachments

• DC48FA1F-DA4E-4B47-9DD5-2F254A7FDCAA.png
    DC48FA1F-DA4E-4B47-9DD5-2F254A7FDCAA.png
    7.6 MB · Views: 14
I have this problem. And I don't think it's the final drive oil. (*) I think it is the spline lube.
I never had a problem until I took it in for the "recall" and THEN it started coming out. I took it back in and they re greased it with a smaller amount.
I left on a 6,000 mile trip and it still does it. Also, I've noticed that it is totally a centrifugal force thing because it doesn't come out until I'm riding over 90 mph. I test it as fast as I can go, usually a long stint of 110-115 and there is significant lube that comes out.

(*) NOW... is it really the lube or is it the oil? Well, easy to check (and prove) because I'm about to drain the oil and I am going to get a real good measurement on that. If there's any loss, I am going to have some very serious discussions with BMW about my final drive warranty!

Since it is leaking here as well, I think we are back to the issue of the final drive.
20230618_120313.jpg

On a new bike there will be some weep as seals begin to seat. On two occasions I noticed this oil leak on my bike and was concerned about a possible problem. But after wiping it clean the second time I never saw it again.
I also think an extreme temperature change can cause this weep phenomenon.
Wipe it up good once or twice and forget about it. Chances are you will never see it again.

I have the same problem, the bike is currently at the dealer so I’ll see what their verdict is and pass it on.

Attachments

• IMG_3042.jpeg
    IMG_3042.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3041.jpeg
    IMG_3041.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
We have 800+ members in R18 Korea Club. A significant number (15%+) of club members are experiencing this issue. We are trying to have the local authority to initiate the recall of all R18 in Korea to rectify this problem. Both my wife and I own a R18 each, Fortunately, neither bike suffer from the problem.
Let's see what happens...

3rd time, mine is into the dealer for investigation in August! They cant get me in any earlier…it isn’t getting any better I’m afraid. Will revert if anything comes from the intervention.

Attachments

• 5AE41675-E171-4AC6-92E7-4E6B9FE1DFEB.jpeg
    5AE41675-E171-4AC6-92E7-4E6B9FE1DFEB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • 4427527C-E8EA-4CD3-A3C8-DDC7D85540B7.jpeg
    4427527C-E8EA-4CD3-A3C8-DDC7D85540B7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 24BDF08E-0F27-42F5-8099-514AA01CF0EF.jpeg
    24BDF08E-0F27-42F5-8099-514AA01CF0EF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
We have 800+ members in R18 Korea Club. A significant number (15%+) of club members are experiencing this issue. We are trying to have the local authority to initiate the recall of all R18 in Korea to rectify this problem. Both my wife and I own a R18 each, Fortunately, neither bike suffer from the problem.
Let's see what happens...(FYI gone to 30%+ since I mentioned this post to the members...)

Dear all,

I want to ask you if you have in the US the same problem of oil spillage of the final drive as in Germany.

On our German Forum we have an opinion poll running and of 33 participants up-to-now 12! have this problem (including me, pictures are from me).

We talk here about a motorbike (although the 9 come from all production years) which is 9 months old, was never driven in rain, only hand-washed (no high pressure), never driven above 80 miles/hour with a milage of 3.000 now. So no special cause to be seen here. Certainly passed the first service at 700 miles.

which reach the rims
20230604_100214_resized.jpg

and now it becomes dangerous also reaches the tire. When you look closely one line actually reaches already the tread of the tire.
20230604_100148_resized.jpg

Hell, how much to we enjoy oil between tire and asphalt :poop:

I have reported it to the BMW headquarters already.

So what I recommend is that everybody checks his final drive to avoid an accident. Several of our riders said they did not have the problem until they had a close look on the rim and final drive.

What would interest me how many of your bikes are affected as well. Therefore the poll.

Present causes mentioned to drivers from BMW dealers:
- during factory assembly too much grease was put into the final drive which comes out especially during long drive and hot weather
- rust: then typically the shaft seals or the whole bevel gear are changed
Didi can you tell us what has been the response from BMW headquarters since you reported the problem?

Have you tried phoning BMW Assist and demanding that they recover the bike and provide you with a replacement until the matter has been fully investigated and resolved as it is a safety issue?

You dont know when the leakage will occur again onto your tyre, and there is oil or more likely grease that should be there lubricating some parts which is no longer there doing its job, potentially leading to further mechanical failure.

Hi there, similar issue. Live in Tasmania, Australia. Bike has done around 5,000 klms, owned from new around 12 months. Still under warranty. BMW will check it this Thursday. Weepage on the tyre bothers me.

20230707_155710.jpg

Attachments

• 20230707_155726.jpg
    20230707_155726.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 3
Back