Possible R18 purchase today...now be honest in your thoughts

You seem to have quite a downer on the bike and even though the price is amazingly cheap I’m not quite sure why you are buying one. By the time you’ve bought a load of aftermarket accessories (over here we call tatt) you may as well have bought something else that more suits your specific needs. There are many other dedicated mile munchers to choose from. The GS for example is 100kg lighter so how that’s too heavy? Anyhow, I’ve had mine two days now, I don’t plan on changing anything on it, at all. I wish you well with your decision.

I always feel bikes are a compromise to various degrees. Though too, there are specialized bikes that are like a surgeon scalpel. With the R18, it is a case of ‘design over function’ I feel…as was the R1200CLC. Due to the mass of the cylinder heads and even weight of the R18 engine, impacting bike weight, handling, and boxer feel.

Having said that, it is unique and once one takes in the consideration the limits of the engine design and size…accepting both…I can see how it would be an enjoyable cruiser within the limitations of the frame structure for the base model...which was required to harken back to bye gone days. For the discounted price and .9 interest rate I am willing to give it a go.

This is a R18 forum, those that still own the bike probably really like/love them. I just neeeded to step away from the RSD counter and settle for the Base model without all that sweet looking Eye candy RSD add ons.

Plus, I already have others rides to fit varies non-cruiser needs when desired. Come to think of it, this might be my first cruiser bike for me. Having ridden more years then I can count that seems surprising then again I am a ‘function over design’ person so that is probably why. No wait, now I recall. I did once buy a savaged titled hd 883 that I had for a short while then later a xl1200 hd that i then changed out to some special color tins that again was kept for a short while.

It is not a segment I would normally consider buying into though am turning 65 this month so maybe this will be my last BMW bike purchase thus why not go Big or go home :)

Started back in the day with a 71 R75/5 and put over 200k miles with many a bmw and other bike brands after that. Maybe it is fitting to end with an R18. Even with its flaws the R18 engine is still a boxer and due to this fact and even Yes its cc size I don’t think I can walk away and not get one.

Maybe it is a ‘mother’ thing. I cut mt teeth on my first bike, that 71 r75/5, the boxer engine feels like home to me. I realize, I think, the 1800cc won’t feel like my old 75/5 though too a degree, yet different in a new way, it will.

Maybe I am drinking the Kool-Aid, though if so I feel I’m drinking it with my eyes mostly open thus my post…probably reflect that from my perspective.

Last edited:
With the R18, it is a case of ‘design over function’ I feel…as was the R1200CLC. Due to the mass of the cylinder heads and even weight of the R18 engine, impacting bike weight, handling, and boxer feel.
I'm not sure where this comes from. Having had (and have) /2s, /5s, GSs, R9Ts and the R1200C, the R18 is as much "boxer feel" as any boxer I've had. The "weight of the engine" doesn't have any impact that I'm aware of on handling. You might think that the looks aren't traditional BMW and you wouldn't be alone, but that doesn't mean form over function.

There is a boxer ethos associated with riding across Africa with a ball of twine and a feeler gauge and feeling confident that you can fix what breaks that is lost with modern BMWs over bikes of the 70s and 80s, but that's across the board in my opinion and has nothing to with the R18 specifically.

The feel and vibe I get while riding on a twisty country road on my R18 is similar to the vibe I still get when riding my R60/2 down that same road.L1000978.jpgL1000980.jpg

I did 10,000 miles on my Classic in the first 12 months. Changed a few things on it but love it . The weight is not an issue as the bike is so low. Great on the open roads and the twisty back Lanes. UK based.

I'm not sure where this comes from. Having had (and have) /2s, /5s, GSs, R9Ts and the R1200C, the R18 is as much "boxer feel" as any boxer I've had. The "weight of the engine" doesn't have any impact that I'm aware of on handling. You might think that the looks aren't traditional BMW and you wouldn't be alone, but that doesn't mean form over function.

There is a boxer ethos associated with riding across Africa with a ball of twine and a feeler gauge and feeling confident that you can fix what breaks that is lost with modern BMWs over bikes of the 70s and 80s, but that's across the board in my opinion and has nothing to with the R18 specifically.

The feel and vibe I get while riding on a twisty country road on my R18 is similar to the vibe I still get when riding my R60/2 down that same road.View attachment 6440View attachment 6441
Good thoughts, thank you.

Yes, one figures my priort thoughts might draw a response :)
To me, the R1200CLC was a design that was targeting Harley. Where I feel they failed in execution was make it too heavy, reduce the engine hp, non-removable bags and a radio that took up a lot of one of the side bag space. Well, it also was a hand full at very low speed due to the front end wanting to fall down if you got her too far over in a parking lot (to be fair the lot was on a bit of an angle when I dropped her though still that front fairing put a lot of weight on the front end).

So far as the R18 goes, I infer the massive 900cc engine on each side does impact the side to side feel at certain speeds...maybe when first starting off; more so then any R1250 or other sized boxer would/does. By default the size of the engine defines how much foot room one has to reach the brake/shift control (yes they can be adjusted to degree). The 3.5" rear travel is a design element, not a make it a smooth ride consideration. Possible too the engine results in that specific rpm range for the sweet/smooth ride. Yes all boxes have it...have not sat to confirm if other boxes have a bigger sweet range or not but the R18 does and that is all that matters really.

Look I get it, or so I think, the R18 is a sweet bike but in my view it was a design exercise by BMW to make it mirror an older bmw and from that they created the bike. If one created a boxer for less weight, foot room, ease of turning, comfortable suspension then the R18 is not what would have been born.

In the end, it is like going to Church and saying hum...I don't believe or maybe not 100%. Won't be many happy campers when someone would say that there. This a an R18 forum and everyone has been great, with very valuable insights though you own the bike so slight chance your a true blue fan.

To me it is always a matter of degrees. Sort of like one saying...no, the Jugs are not hot. Well to others that 'degree' might vary. Anyway, I am in and sent me detailed pension info to the dealer. Will see if that makes BMW happy.

Looking forward to getting the base R18 (aka FE) and glad, for my needs, it will be the base model with brown Day Rider seat and chrome engine guard. If the dealer will install the Leg Rest for free might add that to since it is just so darn 'out there' look wise :)

RIde safe all

Last edited:
Look I get it, or so I think, the R18 is a sweet bike but in my view it was a design exercise by BMW to make it mirror an older bmw and from that they created the bike. If one created a boxer for less weight, foot room, ease of turning, comfortable suspension then the R18 is not what would have been born.

In the end, it is like going to Church and saying hum...I don't believe or maybe not 100%. Won't be many happy campers when someone would say that there. This a an R18 forum and everyone has been great, with very valuable insights though you own the bike so slight chance your a true blue fan.

RIde safe all
Gosh, I'm not a "true blue fan" at all. I can't think of a major brand I haven't had (and many still currently have). I was just responding to your comment that the engine size somehow makes the bike feel less like a boxer. If anything, it exaggerates the boxer feel. The engine size and torque provide performance and handling that one often wants in a cruiser. It's not an adventure tourer, so no it doesn't feel like a 1250GS. And it's not a throwback to an R80, so it doesn't feel like an RnineT. It's true that a boxer configuration isn't ideal for a feet forward riding position, but that would be true of any boxer regardless of displacement. I'm not certain what about the handling or weight is considered problematic for a cruiser though.

Objective complaints about the bike include things like the fact that the windscreens cause buffeting, there have been some early model growing pains such as fuel pump whine, BMW stinks nowadays with respect to providing service manuals and some dealers don't know how to set the bike up....or even that it just looks weird to some. But I just don't see what about the engine or its size and torque aren't good for a cruiser.

So it's not a matter of not liking what was said. Just that it doesn't seem based on actually riding the thing.

@motoring

“ I know the fast back looks sweeter on an r18 but I am more a ‘function over looks‘ type of guy.”

“I am leaning towards the v2 RSD only because the back head covers look mighty sweet, well primary cover also plus the RSD (non-locking
gas cap is cool).”

“...now be honest in your thoughts”​

So if you don’t know, how are we suppose to know. Maybe be honest with yourself first. 😂😂😂

Last edited:
My suggestion (for the OP) would be to try to find one and ride it first, to see if it’s what you want before taking the plunge. I have just come in from my maiden ride this afternoon. I did not take a test ride BTW. Verdict. Marvellous. It’s all very subjective of course but it rode pretty much how I expected it to. I am not a BMW fanboy, if anything I normally lean towards Honda as my go-to but the R18 is unique and I like that. I didn’t want a Rocket3 and considered a HD but ruled that out for a number of reasons. I owned a 1800 Valkyrie a few years ago and there are striking similarities with that. Seating position for one thing. Whilst doing my due diligence prior to purchase I have read and watched pretty much everything out there on the R18 and IMO a lot of the negativity was from wanna be racer journalists and YouTubers trying to ride it in a way it wasn’t meant to be. Like scraping the pegs all the time, clutchless shifting, ragging the engine hard and so on. No bike is perfect (well I’ve never found it) but buying a bike has to fit in with what you want to do with it otherwise it just won’t work out. I had a steady, enjoyable, relaxing ride out along 50mph ish country roads and got a feel for the bike and what it likes and doesn’t. I know enough to know had i tried to do the same route a lot faster I would not have enjoyed it, scraped the pegs all over the place, been battered by the hard suspension, probably had a few ‘moments’ around bends and become frustrated. I didn’t buy it for riding like that. It’s a cruiser, not a GS, not a S1000RR, not a R9T. They all have their own niche.

True, a quick demo ride does not make one an expert and for certain without question not me. I have relied on some youtube reviews to provide some insights, not that they per say speak only the truth. From those, plus my short TC ride, think I rode the base model some months prior. I felt after the ride that they TC was a handle full if stopped and trying to back up (did not attempt to use the reverse during the short test ride). I also felt it was a bit of a hand full making a turn left/right turn after stopping at a stop sign. It is just my take, does not mean I am correct just that with me on the bike that is how i felt.

A new R1250 would be a nice ride and I feel with an excellent boxer engine. But, the base R18 is $12,497 after $3k rebate plus $500 bmwmoa discount, then take off $2k for bmw 6 pays and toss in 90 days no payments. I worked out the down payment so it will be financed for 36 months at $338.48

Do I feel it is wrong doing this deal at .9% because it is not an R1250, it has extra weight and feel i need to use caution starting from stop signs to make a turn? No, saving $11k plus is a lot of incentive for me to learn to bond with the R18 even though I have had very limited ride time on it. I read enough to feel it has a sweet rpm range where she is dead smooth. I hope the Day Rider seat, along with correct rear shock setting will be enough for me to be ok riding it as a cruiser for day trips 90% of the time when ridden.

No offense intended by the true blue fan comment, if such was felt then my apology.

Though a a boxer might not be perfect I sort of feel I am such a fan (true blue in general. One can disagree as to smoothness of any boxer year/model as well as the trims of the R18 line I would offer. These are simply my thoughts, does not make them fact for others.

I never demo rode an R18 with the fast back seat so have no awareness as to the comfort of it though infer maybe the Day Rider might offer a tad more comfort. I final quote is coming my way then will be sent to BMW to see if they appove the deal.

Last edited:
My suggestion (for the OP) would be to try to find one and ride it first, to see if it’s what you want before taking the plunge. I have just come in from my maiden ride this afternoon. I did not take a test ride BTW. Verdict. Marvellous. It’s all very subjective of course but it rode pretty much how I expected it to. I am not a BMW fanboy, if anything I normally lean towards Honda as my go-to but the R18 is unique and I like that. I didn’t want a Rocket3 and considered a HD but ruled that out for a number of reasons. I owned a 1800 Valkyrie a few years ago and there are striking similarities with that. Seating position for one thing. Whilst doing my due diligence prior to purchase I have read and watched pretty much everything out there on the R18 and IMO a lot of the negativity was from wanna be racer journalists and YouTubers trying to ride it in a way it wasn’t meant to be. Like scraping the pegs all the time, clutchless shifting, ragging the engine hard and so on. No bike is perfect (well I’ve never found it) but buying a bike has to fit in with what you want to do with it otherwise it just won’t work out. I had a steady, enjoyable, relaxing ride out along 50mph ish country roads and got a feel for the bike and what it likes and doesn’t. I know enough to know had i tried to do the same route a lot faster I would not have enjoyed it, scraped the pegs all over the place, been battered by the hard suspension, probably had a few ‘moments’ around bends and become frustrated. I didn’t buy it for riding like that. It’s a cruiser, not a GS, not a S1000RR, not a R9T. They all have their own niche.
Concur 100% and thank you for your initial ride report. I too will not be trying to be a speed racer on this bike, nor was it made for that I feel. I simply know I am smitten with its looks, old school black and white pin stripe is true bmw in my book. They nailed the look 100% I feel. Yes it would be nice to take a base out for half a day. That simply did not happen in my case. But I feel, riding it within its limits as a cruiser and accepting the rear suspension as it is once dialed in correctly the R18 and I will get along fine. If not it won’t be the first bike I have purchased then later sold.

It is a gamble to a degree, I hope small, that it will be the right fit for me but I know the engine has the smooth rpm range and honestly to me all boxers each have their own. I can live with the small tank and no gas gauge. It was bad for BMW not to put cruise on them when first produced but yeah, now they can charge more for that feature on other ones I figures. And indeed the 1800cc boxer is unique, most of us boxer loving guys/girls would probably really like to have one to add to our stable I feel.

I am happy with the deal I am getting and the dealer has been great. Saving say $11k on this R18 allows me to forgive a lot of ‘not perfect’ features should I find them on this bike and I got the R18 cause I don’t want the other R18 models as they weigh more. I have goldwing for touring if that ever happens again at my age.

Last edited:
Deal is done and will get the BMW paperwork in the mail early next week,

If anyone is still looking for an R18 then I can recommend getting in touch with Adam of Cycle Works in Barrington, IL at 847-381-8050. I had many questions and he took the time to answer each one and worked over several days to make a deal for me. My sister lives 4 hours south of there so will park the bike at her place most likely for a bit. By then will sort out game plan to get her the rest of the way home.

Again, my thanks to each of the R18 members and a tip of the hat to each of you.

I might not agree 100% with someone’s comment now and then but we each have our own perspective. Your insights have been extremely helpful during this process. So please, if I have been a pain in the backside with my post/comments do not let that deter you from offering insights to others. They really are great coming R18 owners ‘in the seat‘ of the motorcycle.

Guess this is my August 65th birthday present to myself.

Last edited:
Before and after photo of an old 1965 r60/2 I got off craigslist a zillion years ago. It was my first try restoring a bike…with the help of a good friend. Later, one of the piston rings broke :( and engine has been apart ever since….many many years ago that happened. Do have a non-matching R69S engine though no idea of its actually condition.

Good times back then for certain and a great biking buddy then and now. Will have to circle round to this project again one of these days or next year to two coming up. Nothing as pretty a Tommymck’s old bike but it was fun to restore and put together again back in the day.

Attachments

• AD6F3D5C-E98F-4BCC-986C-FC8D44A5C5EF.png
    AD6F3D5C-E98F-4BCC-986C-FC8D44A5C5EF.png
    20.8 MB · Views: 10
  • F5D1A76D-7124-404D-830A-573C1152FC3D.png
    F5D1A76D-7124-404D-830A-573C1152FC3D.png
    22.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
R18 is an art piece. It is looks over function, incredible fit and finish. It is a very pleasant motorcycle with a lot of compromises.
1) Its very heavy 2) U turns take effort 3) stock windshield is terrible 4) cylinders make the bike a bit of an ergonomic nightmare 5) Stock seat looks great, Mustang seats are too low and don't integrate well into the frame appearance. 6) bags dont lock (why???) 7) exhaust is too tame. 8) no fuel gauge 9) no tire pressure monitor and its hard to get o the stems. 10) tube tires can be dangerous.

I love my r18c and will not sell it. In my opinion, BMW went a bit too much trying to copy harley.

Interesting. I currently own a Honda 1800 Valkyrie...and with the right tires imo, is one of the greatest motorcycles ever made! Cannot believe you sold it. The R18 is similar indeed...but the Valkyrie in manys is the superior machine...But I enjoy the hell out of my 18...just the sound, torque curve, and gearing alone make it a blast to ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_153751.jpg
    IMG_20220806_153751.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

It seems with goldwings and maybe too Valkyries the engine is so refined (pre 2018 or the new 2018 engine) that at times one might feel they are not on a bike due to the fact the ride so darn smoothly with those engines. BMW, by design, wanted the R18 to be an engine you communicate with and feel it also at times.

The more youtube reviews I see the more, to me, they point that fact out and others. At the now discounted price for this new bike, part of that being the BMW 6 payments made by them with 90 days no payments. Makes my payments be only for 27 months me thinks instead of the 36 month finance term. Although as I just typed that I now realize the 3 payments are still do thus it is actually 30 months of payments until paid off. Not an issue, that still gets me 9 months closer to the 1.5 years I need to wait until I start drawing Social Security.

The bike is so pretty I almost hate picking it up without a replacement, longer, front fender on it. Uncertain if I want to ride her four hours without a windscreen though might. Can always then just ride it to the MadStad shop once I tow it back from GA to FL to pick one to try on for size.

Here is hoping it will be a good match after I put the initial 100 miles on her, well more like 240 and a 4 hour ride from IL to IN. Will take it slow, just waiting to confirm if my brother will drive his van up to see his Mom in IN and if so we will strap it down inside of it to get it back to GA. Nothing like brother bonding time…even though we do better visiting in short time durations lol normally.

The feel and vibe I get while riding on a twisty country road on my R18 is similar to the vibe I still get when riding my R60/2 down that same road.View attachment 6440View attachment 6441

I think the huge boxer actually created a gyroscopic effect, that makes the bike handles far better than any other bikes in this class.

Interesting. I currently own a Honda 1800 Valkyrie...and with the right tires imo, is one of the greatest motorcycles ever made! Cannot believe you sold it. The R18 is similar indeed...but the Valkyrie in manys is the superior machine...But I enjoy the hell out of my 18...just the sound, torque curve, and gearing alone make it a blast to ride.
I believe the honda rebel 1100 is faster and more reliable bike, but people pay a lot more for a harley.

Back