Possible R18 purchase today...now be honest in your thoughts

MOTORING's first post looked a LOT like my son's power-point presentation, as to why we needed to get a new puppy... In short, we now have two Vizsla's and a brand new R18 Bagger...

Having owned a couple of DUCATI bikes, a R1200 GS Adventure (2008 w/ 96k miles) and a K75 S (my first bike); I can honestly say that my R1200 GSA was my most favorite bike, which saw new DUCATI bikes roll into the garage and saw them roll out after being sold. It was the wind protection and the storage that caught me; however, riding a GS Adventure is EXTREMELY comfortable after an eight to ten hour day of riding... I'm 5' 9", which has always made the GSA too tall for me and I have always liked the feel of two feet planted on the ground when I would rent a Harley Street Glide and/or Road Glides..

When I saw the R 18 B; the math was super easy for me... Looks like a HARLEY, 0.9% financing, Money OFF, Feet are Well planted, Adaptive Cruise Control, Wind Protect, Music, Navigation, Storage Cases and just an overall cool look.. All of my buddies ride HD; they love my bike and the overall craftsmanship blows HD out of the water.

SLOW speed U-TURNS, I could easy turn-around on the GSA within two parking spots... I've been practicing with the R 18 B and I'm making U-TURNS at 2.5 to 3 parking spots at this point (ownership = 3 weeks). I find the bike comfortable after an eight hour day of riding..

Buy the Bike...!!

1659920886557.png

Faster, more reliable then what?
huh, you were saying the Honda 1800 Valkyrie is "greatest motorcycles ever made!"and "superior machine"(means better than R18, and the harleys). I just mimicked what you posted , using rebel 1100 as an example sarcasticly.

1800 Valkyrie is a "Superior Machine" than R18 "then what? "

huh, you were saying the Honda 1800 Valkyrie is "greatest motorcycles ever made!"and "superior machine"(means better than R18, and the harleys). I just mimicked what you posted , using rebel 1100 as an example sarcasticly.

1800 Valkyrie is a "Superior Machine" than R18 "then what? "
Lol...I said I quote: 'The Valkyrie is *ONE* of the greatest motorcycles ever made', not *the*...It's incredibly original, like the R18 hence why I bought it. Both bikes have positives and negatives ..But comparing the 2nd generation Valkyrie to many bikes it's superior...kinda like the R18 when you figure it out. I only wish there was a GT rated radial for the R18...This would make the R18 a great handling bike (suspension properly set)...Tires are EVERYTHING...

MOTORING's first post looked a LOT like my son's power-point presentation, as to why we needed to get a new puppy... In short, we now have two Vizsla's and a brand new R18 Bagger...

Having owned a couple of DUCATI bikes, a R1200 GS Adventure (2008 w/ 96k miles) and a K75 S (my first bike); I can honestly say that my R1200 GSA was my most favorite bike, which saw new DUCATI bikes roll into the garage and saw them roll out after being sold. It was the wind protection and the storage that caught me; however, riding a GS Adventure is EXTREMELY comfortable after an eight to ten hour day of riding... I'm 5' 9", which has always made the GSA too tall for me and I have always liked the feel of two feet planted on the ground when I would rent a Harley Street Glide and/or Road Glides..

When I saw the R 18 B; the math was super easy for me... Looks like a HARLEY, 0.9% financing, Money OFF, Feet are Well planted, Adaptive Cruise Control, Wind Protect, Music, Navigation, Storage Cases and just an overall cool look.. All of my buddies ride HD; they love my bike and the overall craftsmanship blows HD out of the water.

SLOW speed U-TURNS, I could easy turn-around on the GSA within two parking spots... I've been practicing with the R 18 B and I'm making U-TURNS at 2.5 to 3 parking spots at this point (ownership = 3 weeks). I find the bike comfortable after an eight hour day of riding..

Buy the Bike...!!

View attachment 6462
Glad you got the puppies...and the bike. Doggies make life better.

If I did not have a 19 tour wing and was looking for a tour I could see the desire of the Bagger trim. For my needs, spending something like $9k less money (if a bagger cost $20k) while still getting the engine and artwork (aka R18 base bike) is a win.

Yes, paperwork is in the mail my way and for the $11k spent (excluding taxes) it is/was a steal of a deal in my book. Would have loved having cruise control though for the limited riding I might due, until weather turns cooler in Florida (for like a month) or else trailer it up GA way, I will live without cruise since the most savings were on the base R18 model not ones with cruise added.

Indeed she will be like a super tanker, very long :) so turning will be come a practiced maneuver to me.

I have to say this bike brings out owners feelings. Some love it and feel it hits the mark 100% while others express some limitations the design/engine impose. Either is incorrect, just a matter of option.

Cross Country BMW in NJ has a custom bike that they are selling for a song, if GA doesn't work out; considering the upgrades to it, it looks amazing in person on the showroom floor:

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_170246911_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220803_170246911_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220803_170337267_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220803_170337267_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220723_160250702.jpg
    IMG_20220723_160250702.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220723_160331910_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220723_160331910_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
Lol...I said I quote: 'The Valkyrie is *ONE* of the greatest motorcycles ever made', not *the*...It's incredibly original, like the R18 hence why I bought it. Both bikes have positives and negatives ..But comparing the 2nd generation Valkyrie to many bikes it's superior...kinda like the R18 when you figure it out. I only wish there was a GT rated radial for the R18...This would make the R18 a great handling bike (suspension properly set)...Tires are EVERYTHING...
I thought the R18 is already the best handling bike in this class. The engine creates gyroscopic effect, that amplify the low center of gravity feel. This bike turns in like no other bikes.

I thought the R18 is already the best handling bike in this class. The engine creates gyroscopic effect, that amplify the low center of gravity feel. This bike turns in like no other bikes.
The more youtube videos I watch on the R18 the more I see varied views about the engine. I almost posted two links to reviews that I thought were a bit different…not per say either was right nor wrong. One of the most recent video reviews made a couple of comments that made me wonder.

When BMW created this R18 engine it was done with the intent for it to be felt by the rider. As opposed (upon the pun) having the rider feel (aka felt) the effects of the engine simply because it is so large and you have two pistons going in different directions both at idle, set speed, and when backing off the throttle (which of course must occur).

Here are a few comments a youtube review stated:
*bike felt like it goes one way (sidewise) while the back of the bike went the other way (aka chassis flex); even when down shifting
*they did so much to amplify the feel of the engine…
* resulting (word inserted by me) seemingly unpredictable behavior (word inserted by me) it doesn’t make for a safe experience

Now granted, that is just one YouTuber…though I can post a link to it doubt it would serve much of a purpose as they are a zillion reviews and not all the same.

I would though wonder if BMW could have mellowed out the R18 engine a bit more so far as how much the rider feels it (pistons making bike tilt left or right, off throttle engine feel effect, cannot say if chassis flex actually occurs on the R18 and is a factor yet still achieve a winning outcome. I can only guess if they wanted a harley rider to feel the R18 engine I would say they have made that happen :)

Ok, figure in case someone wants to watch the video you can search for the youtube video -
Cruiser Shopping 2021 BMW R18 | Compare to Harely Davidson Breakout
Not saying it is worth your time to watch and you might want those minutes added back to your life line :(

Now granted, this reviewer is not I figure knowledgeable about BMW boxer engines though then again maybe it is good to have a non-boxer rider try out the R18 to provide their thought. Yes I know, a box engine has it own feel and does impact the bike a bit with sideways movement. Though with the R18 it seems, I infer, to take it to another higher level.

I know lots of forum members love the R18 engine and feel so, thanks for offering though not looking for a zillion comments saying what the YouTuber said is wrong. I know many many video reviews to speak to the side to side effects of this power plant. If you own the bike and love the engine feel fine, mostly love/like it fine. It is what it is and will be what it is when I get mine. I will live with it.

Maybe the R18 will turn into a NineT model line and have great success, maybe it will go the way of the R1200C/CL line else stay in the line up for many years to come though maybe not have as high sell numbers as BMW might expect.

Had heavy rain this evening with lighting, one of my two doggies (the small one) does not like that. The other night his heart was racing faster then an R18 engine I bet. Had to hold him close for a bit so he felt safe.

Will talk to the dealer tomorrow to ask his thoughts on the Day Rider seat vs the one below (don’t know the name of it) though would like to get the one that makes the ride better over had bumps in the road (if he will let me change to one in image below).

Attachments

• 6A967090-40BA-4CA1-B035-1C1D747A97B8.jpeg
    6A967090-40BA-4CA1-B035-1C1D747A97B8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The more youtube videos I watch on the R18 the more I see varied views about the engine. I almost posted two links to reviews that I thought were a bit different…not per say either was right nor wrong. One of the most recent video reviews made a couple of comments that made me wonder.

When BMW created this R18 engine it was done with the intent for it to be felt by the rider. As opposed (upon the pun) having the rider feel (aka felt) the effects of the engine simply because it is so large and you have two pistons going in different directions both at idle, set speed, and when backing off the throttle (which of course must occur).

Here are a few comments a youtube review stated:
*bike felt like it goes one way (sidewise) while the back of the bike went the other way (aka chassis flex); even when down shifting
*they did so much to amplify the feel of the engine…
* resulting (word inserted by me) seemingly unpredictable behavior (word inserted by me) it doesn’t make for a safe experience

Now granted, that is just one YouTuber…though I can post a link to it doubt it would serve much of a purpose as they are a zillion reviews and not all the same.

I would though wonder if BMW could have mellowed out the R18 engine a bit more so far as how much the rider feels it (pistons making bike tilt left or right, off throttle engine feel effect, cannot say if chassis flex actually occurs on the R18 and is a factor yet still achieve a winning outcome. I can only guess if they wanted a harley rider to feel the R18 engine I would say they have made that happen :)

Ok, figure in case someone wants to watch the video you can search for the youtube video -
Cruiser Shopping 2021 BMW R18 | Compare to Harely Davidson Breakout
Not saying it is work your time to watch and you might want those minutes added back to your life line :)

Now granted, this reviewer is not I figure knowledgeable about BMW boxer engines though then again maybe it is good to have a non-boxer rider try out the R18 to provide their thought. Yes I know, a box engine has it own feel and does impact the bike a bit with sideways movement. Though with the R18 it seems, I infer, to take it to another higher level.

I know lots of forum members love the R18 engine and feel so, thanks for offering though not looking for a zillion comments saying what the YouTuber said is wrong. I know many many video reviews to speak to the side to side effects of this power plant. If you own the bike and love the engine feel fine, mostly love/like it fine. It is what it is and will be what it is when I get mine. I will live with it.

Maybe the R18 will turn into a NineT model line and have great success, maybe it will go the way of the R1200C/CL line else stay in the line up for many years to come though maybe not have as high sell numbers as BMW might expect.

Will talk to the dealer tomorrow to ask his thoughts on the Day Rider seat vs the one below (don’t know the name of it.
Ride more watch less.

Ride more watch less.
I can’t don’t have the R18 yet lol. Though yes, I have seen about as many R18 video reviews as one could ever need to (save for later to see about parts changes once I get one). Have nothing else to comment on engine wise. Once I get the bike and put 300 miles on her will know what she is like to live with.

I can’t don’t have the R18 yet lol. Though yes, I have seen about as many R18 video reviews as one could ever need to (save for later to see about parts changes once I get one). Have nothing else to comment on engine wise. Once I get the bike and put 300 miles on her will know what she is like to live with.
Post a video!!!!!! Lol. Anticipation is part of the awesomeness.

Interesting. I currently own a Honda 1800 Valkyrie...and with the right tires imo, is one of the greatest motorcycles ever made! Cannot believe you sold it. The R18 is similar indeed...but the Valkyrie in manys is the superior machine...But I enjoy the hell out of my 18...just the sound, torque curve, and gearing alone make it a blast to ride.
Hi, yea it was very nice but i didn’t like the very clunky 1-2 gearbox or the 5 speeds for that matter and from some angles it was a bit of a ‘balooga’. Yes the engine was superb, though refined to the point of being a bit bland, it didn’t matter what revs it just felt the same really from 1000rpm to 6000rpm. There’s good & bad in that.

They didn’t sell well did they? That’s the truth. Didn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it while I had it. It was basically a stripped Gen5 Goldwing whereas the R18 was designed and built to be exactly what it is with the benefit of 25 years worth of advancement in technology, by BMW no less. To my eye the R18 looks way better from any angle and has much more of a Guzzi shakey-shakey charm to it that I absolutely love. BMW could have dialed it all out but thank goodness didn‘t.

6A52BA1D-C4C6-4839-8A2E-411BFA1254D7.jpeg

Last edited:
More sarcasim
Hi, yea it was very nice but i didn’t like the very clunky 1-2 gearbox or the 5 speeds for that matter and from some angles it was a bit of a ‘balooga’. Yes the engine was superb, though refined to the point of being a bit bland, it didn’t matter what revs it just felt the same really from 1000rpm to 6000rpm. There’s good & bad in that.

They didn’t sell well did they? That’s the truth. Didn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it while I had it. It was basically a stripped Gen5 Goldwing whereas the R18 was designed and built to be exactly what it is with the benefit of 25 years worth of advancement in technology, by BMW no less. To my eye the R18 looks way better from any angle and has much more of a Guzzi shakey-shakey charm to it that I absolutely love. BMW could have dialed it all out but thank goodness didn‘t.

View attachment 6483
They were only made for two years

View attachment 6483
It's all subjective indeed. The bike does appear *different* kinda like a Rune...Incidently, they've kinda gone the same route too. The bike's popularity has increased dramatically. Kind of like a dead artitst's work, the demand and value has increased. I can nearly sell it now for what I paid for it 7 years ago! The clunky tranny is fixed with the right synthetic oil...the handling is improved 100% with Pirelli Angle GT tires...and lastly, that engine hates ethanol. The 18 is far more tolerant. But with the right gas that bike with 15k+ miles is anything but bland... Imo it's like riding a jet airplane...it rockets to triple digits...has all the torque if not more then the 18 at lower rpms, but has that extra 30 ponies @ 5-6k..weighing the same...Throttle roll ons in 5th gear...from 70 are intense...and downright serious... But yeah, the 18 definetly more *Jurassic*...more organic, different rides and I luv them both!

Deal is baked, added the Day Rider driver back rest in brown. Will get the BMW finance forms in mail tomorrow.

I have also started to Rat out the bike already by adding the Toaster Gill on each side above the Jugs...chrome Leg Rest.
Will find out when I get off the bus in Chicago if Uber will cost me $50 or upwards of $100 for the one hour ride to the dealer.
Hum...10 hour road trip with my brother up and back...will see how that shakes out.

More sarcasim

They were only made for two years

It's all subjective indeed. The bike does appear *different* kinda like a Rune...Incidently, they've kinda gone the same route too. The bike's popularity has increased dramatically. Kind of like a dead artitst's work, the demand and value has increased. I can nearly sell it now for what I paid for it 7 years ago! The clunky tranny is fixed with the right synthetic oil...the handling is improved 100% with Pirelli Angle GT tires...and lastly, that engine hates ethanol. The 18 is far more tolerant. But with the right gas that bike with 15k+ miles is anything but bland... Imo it's like riding a jet airplane...it rockets to triple digits...has all the torque if not more then the 18 at lower rpms, but has that extra 30 ponies @ 5-6k..weighing the same...Throttle roll ons in 5th gear...from 70 are intense...and downright serious... But yeah, the 18 definetly more *Jurassic*...more organic, different rides and I luv them both!
This time is not Sarcasim. R18 trully handles the best.

I don't even own the R18 yet and with the base model I cannot see why one says an R18 handles 'the best' or that great. I would concur once it is moving but I have to feel this is a land yacht and turns about a quick at low speed or when getting started as well when doing low speed parking lot turns.

Then again, I don't own it yet. Will see if I eat my words.

I don't even own the R18 yet and with the base model I cannot see why one says an R18 handles 'the best' or that great. I would concur once it is moving but I have to feel this is a land yacht and turns about a quick at low speed or when getting started as well when doing low speed parking lot turns.

Then again, I don't own it yet. Will see if I eat my words.
The bike is very easy to ride, and handles quite well...even at *parking lot speeds* It's low center of gravity is huge in helping to accomplish this... You'll love the bike....

The bike is very easy to ride, and handles quite well...even at *parking lot speeds* It's low center of gravity is huge in helping to accomplish this... You'll love the bike....
Welll, that makes sense. It is just the length of the bike then that makes her a bit of a job to make tight turns I wold figure.

Back