Possible Switch From Indian Chief Vintage to 2022 BMW R18 B

I have both a 2017 Indian Vintage Chief and an R18 FE. I love both bikes, but without question if I had to choose without question it would be the Indian. The comfort of ride and ergo the Indian is far superior to that of the R18 FE. Of course that is not a direct comparison because I don’t have the B model. Both of my bikes are pictured below.

View attachment 11809

View attachment 11810
Lovely any one would do me 😎

Unless you are in a position to own more than one bike I suppose it comes down to why you want to change out the Indian? If you really like it keep it, you know it by now, it’s worth what it’s worth. If on the other hand you do want a change then a decent test ride on the B is a very wise move, it should help make the decision for you. I’ve never had buyers remorse but I’ve had sellers remorse too many times, if only…….when we know, we know.

That is the right thing to do because they are not cheap.
One thing to remember is that you should not compare the bikes neck to neck because they are both totally different machines.
I think both bikes have deep heritage but their path is way different if you know what I am trying to say.
Enjoy your test ride and keep us posted.

Pistol Pete
I would think the BMW would handle above average for a cruiser???
I'd put it midpack for my experience. Shy of something like a Low Rider S, better than a Breakout. It's precise and capable, but more stable than responsive. I was doing some cone work a couple weeks ago and it takes some effort to hustle it through a tight course.

We have both the R18 FE and an Indian Super Chief Limited, both bikes are amazing and have very differing characteristics.

The Indian in sport mode is too aggressive in town but for some reason the BMW with similar torque and power seems more refined and better put together.

The V-Twin heat thing is negated somewhat on the Indian because the rear cylinder shuts off when getting too hot in traffic. The BMW throws temperature warning in jams and basically you have to pull over. (Happened once so far in a year).

The Indian has a cable clutch and can be quite snatchy whereas the hydraulic clutch and ability to size the levers give the BMW a big advantage in smoothness.

Brakes on both are under powered so to speak, one needs to really grab hold of the levers on both to stop but coming from lighter Moto Guzzi's one has to regulate stopping distances a little bit more cautiously.

Both handle surprisingly well for heavy machines.

Not going to sell either, might add a Triumph bobber soon and a Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello to the stable.

When I die they can be buried with me like a Roman emperor akin to a chariot and horses..

IMG_9347 2.jpegIMG_8078.jpegIMG_7519.jpeg

We have both the R18 FE and an Indian Super Chief Limited, both bikes are amazing and have very differing characteristics.

The Indian in sport mode is too aggressive in town but for some reason the BMW with similar torque and power seems more refined and better put together.

The V-Twin heat thing is negated somewhat on the Indian because the rear cylinder shuts off when getting too hot in traffic. The BMW throws temperature warning in jams and basically you have to pull over. (Happened once so far in a year).

The Indian has a cable clutch and can be quite snatchy whereas the hydraulic clutch and ability to size the levers give the BMW a big advantage in smoothness.

Brakes on both are under powered so to speak, one needs to really grab hold of the levers on both to stop but coming from lighter Moto Guzzi's one has to regulate stopping distances a little bit more cautiously.

Both handle surprisingly well for heavy machines.

Not going to sell either, might add a Triumph bobber soon and a Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello to the stable.

When I die they can be buried with me like a Roman emperor akin to a chariot and horses..

View attachment 11861View attachment 11862View attachment 11863
Thanks & nice looking rides

I have 50k miles on my Chief Vintage and 11k on my R18B. If I had to pick just one, it would be the R18B. Better mileage, larger tank, cooler running, GPS, stereo, hard bags and the exhilarating Rock mode all make it a more enjoyable daily rider for me.

I will say that when I rode my Chief to take a demo ride of the R18B off the demo truck before it was released, I was really put off by the seating position. Now that I have both and to back and forth, because they are so different in their seating positions they each feel odd when you ride it after riding the other. I got a back rest and sheep skin for the Chief because the forward controls put all of my weight on my keister... and after a couple hours without those I just couldn't get comfortable. I've ridden the R18B all day without a back rest or pad and haven't had the same issue. The R18B is harder on the knees though in my opinion.

Horrible resale
True. I'm hoping this will stabilize after a couple years. Seems like BMW dumped a bunch of product launch demos on the market for cheap so it's dragging down resale averages. Some good deals to be had for those buying now as long as you plan to keep it for a while.

Owned both. Indian has significantly better ergonomics. Its is more comfortable on the highway. R18B is more stable. Both aren't good for wind protection. R18B fairing / windshield produces terrible buffeting and doesn't protect hands much. I think Indian had slightly better wind protection depending on a windshield etc. I preferred handling and the overall feel of the Indian. R18B is significantly heavier. Paint / chrome / plastics are better on the BMW.

Never had an Indian bike. But just got the 22 R 18B in June. I did a 3500 mile trip on it in August. Bike was great. Averaged 42 mpg. Adaptive cruise control worked like a charm. i don’t like the BMW map/navigation system. That is difficult to work and it drains your battery on your phone fast. I wish they had the Apple system as option. Plus there is no adapter for your phone. But I definitely love the bike. It’s heavy. But the reverse makes it easy to move around for parking. I just dropped it off at the shop for the 7500 oil change and service. Will update about that after I get it back. IMG_5554.jpeg

Last edited:
Honestly, just don’t do it. Really, coming straight from an R18 owner. Don’t. Get a Harley Bagger or an even wilder Indian.
Agreed. I own both a Chief Vintage and an R18 FE. I am lucky enough to also own a Victory Cross Country Street, an H-D Electra Glide Revival and a Honda Goldwing, amongst some others. If I were forced to sell one amongst those named, it would be the R18. If I could keep only one, it would be the Chief Vintage.

IMG_2306.jpg

Agreed. I own both a Chief Vintage and an R18 FE. I am lucky enough to also own a Victory Cross Country Street, an H-D Electra Glide Revival and a Honda Goldwing, amongst some others. If I were forced to sell one amongst those named, it would be the R18. If I could keep only one, it would be the Chief Vintage.

View attachment 12110
That’s one heck of a bike 👍

Back