R12 Rumors - Yes please!

Beauty. That was the same color I had. My GS is mandarin as well.

How is the chrome holding up on yours? That was my only complaint about the build quality was that all my chrome was pitted and flaked after a few years.
I heard about some chrome issues on the R12C, so I kept an eye on it and it has weathered very well, no issues to report. I've had the bike since about 2003, got a great deal on it with 2400 miles. During that time I always kept the bike clean and parked in a garage.

I bought my R1200 C Montauk new in 2005 ( the year they stopped to sell it).
Very few built in this version (bigger tire and front end).
Originally black I had it repainted in red.
The only chrome issue I had are on the exhausts.
I covered it with Teflon band.
I'm ok with the look so far.
I can't even think to sell it. Very nice bike although the lack of power.
Very easy to pilot. I even hadn't to make any adjustment to be comfortable on it, with my 6'.
Incredible power-assisted braking.
70.000 km so far.

Montauk 1.jpg

Last edited:
I have an R1200C and have been a big fan due to the unusual styling. I'm 5'5", with a 29" inseam. On the R1200C with its 29.1" seat height, my feet aren't totally planted. The R18's seat height is 27.2-28" (depending on model), and it's less top-heavy than the R1200C. I may drop the R18 seat height an inch with a different seat (customized if needed) to get it lower which is at least an option.

It was 60F here in NH today - Spring is right around the corner!
60F…is that some sort of cult, activity or club meeting event you all do up there way? We have no such thing like that in Florida that I am able to recall.

Last edited:
If height issue/arm length, thinking the Weekender seat might have been the one that moves the body forward just a tad so closer to the bars. Then again that may not help since I believe it is a taller seat.

I recall a rumor about an r1300cc gs coming. BMW could just do a ‘redo’ of reusing what would then be the old r1250 engine into a cruiser frame if they move all R1250 engine bikes to the 1300cc though guess they could just offer a R13 cruiser and call it a day.

it was interesting they went old school on the R18, no water cooling. Seems the boxer model offers the best layout for head cooling due to exposure to air flow.

The Star Venture was Yahama’s attempt at such a thing. Uncertain the sales success of that model line in the cruiser/touring market though they too felt it had to be air cooled to target the Harley market. Seems though HD is moving more to water cooled bikes now days thus the Venture and R18 engines could be thought of as the last of their kind to be sold in big bikes.

Guess one will just have to wonder what could have been if BMW had tossed in some sort of hidden water engine head cooling on the R18 engine line.

If you had asked me three or four years ago I would have said yes to the idea of a smaller, more normal sized R12 instead of the current R18 because it’s obviously going to be lighter, more sensible, with better (slow speed) cornering however now that I am lucky enough to actually own one I would not change a thing. Riding it and owning it feels very special. It’s such a magnificent, oversized, unnecessary beast. I love it. it feels Royal. Even with the inevitable compromises that high weight and low clearance bring. I have owned a few BMW’s over the years, two R850R’s a K1100LT and an R9T Racer . I’ve test ridden the base R9T, R1100RT, K75 and GS1150. All decent and very capable. I didn’t really like the R9T motor that much TBH (hence my change of mind on the R12 idea) and prefer the R18 lump. The R18 has much more of a Guzzi lazy-heavy churning-effortless feel to it and that is meant as a big compliment BTW. There’s such a push towards refining everything nowadays to within an inch of its life stuff gets a bit ‘meh’. Bland. Thank goodness BMW didn’t do that with the R18.

Last edited:
it was interesting they went old school on the R18, no water cooling. Seems the boxer model offers the best layout for head cooling due to exposure to air flow.

The Star Venture was Yahama’s attempt at such a thing. Uncertain the sales success of that model line in the cruiser/touring market though they too felt it had to be air cooled to target the Harley market. Seems though HD is moving more to water cooled bikes now days thus the Venture and R18 engines could be thought of as the last of their kind to be sold in big bikes.

Guess one will just have to wonder what could have been if BMW had tossed in some sort of hidden water engine head cooling on the R18 engine line.
Boxer motors are ideal air cooled engines because both cylinders are in the airflow. But there are some limitations to them that some may not like, such as limited foot placement, a perception that the bike is wider, and aesthetics.

V-twins like those in Harleys suffer from the rear cylinder being blocked to airflow. Here liquid cooling is an advantage both for comfort and emissions/power.

A V-twin turned sideways like in a MotoGuzzi has the same airflow advantages as a boxer engine, but also many of the limitations.

Liquid cooling a boxer, in my opinion makes little sense. May as well use a different engine config that has other packaging advantages. This is why I bought the last model year boxer GS before liquid cooling was added and why I bought an R18. I also have an older 1972 boxer motorcycle. I love the boxer in its raw air cooled form, but if a motor needs to be liquid cooled, I think other engine configs make more sense.

Another example of this issue, my GS is 40-50 lbs lighter than the liquid cooled version, even though I have a larger fuel tank. Triumph has the Rocket 3 with 160HP and 160 lb/ft of torque from its liquid cooled 2500cc triple and you can have forward controls if desired. The newer Bonneville line is also liquid cooled and puts out decent power in a nice compact design. My S1000R is only 1000cc and puts out 160 HP. Liquid cooling definitely adds more power, but combined with different configs makes more sense. I love my air cooled boxers, but if I have to get liquid cooling, I’d get other engine configs.

My pacific blue R1200C with every known chrome and polished aluminum farkle added on will always be the best looking motorcycle my eyes have ever seen. The only negative was how it reacted to throttle up. The engine would get louder, but minimal acceleration happened. It was underpowered but oh my what a beautiful machine.
With the R18 I can throttle up at 2,200 rpm in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear and feel the acceleration.

I'm never a wet blanket... but
The R12 was a neat bike... but it was not old school in any way, the engine was too high and the front suspension and and and... I like the bike (they made a few in black with pinstripes but it didnt even come close to catching my eye. I bought a GS in the same era...

The current 1170 power plant won't work in a retro cruiser. Once again the cylinder heads are too high. I love the R9T.... but its not retro, no matter how hard you try to make it retro... and the engine is the reason why. I have a GS from the same era :)

Let's face it, they hit a home run with the styling on the R18. Its just gorgeous; Now they've pleased the masses with bag-o-rama... but I dont mind people being happy.

The R18 is a no compromises ancient looking motorcycle that has ABS and traction control; honestly, if you try to put the 1170 in a plunger frame you'll have neither effect. I think they got it right the first time.

Back